Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:49 pm 
I think this is the first year I've ever seen April 1st not celebrated here on the boards... maybe because it fell on a Sunday? I'm sure FB and Wile E were relieved! :zoe:

It also seemed quite muted all over the web. Maybe people are burnt out on April Fool's day jokes.

This was pretty good however:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Columbus&t=8

(by experimentation, I've determined that "t=8" is the magic part of the queryline, in case you want to try it with your own hometown).

Post subject: Re: April Foolishness...
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:18 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I switched my avatar to Llefser's 'g' for the day and posted to the RS thread but I don't think anyone noticed (except for LobosSolos).

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:33 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
kitoba wrote:
I think this is the first year I've ever seen April 1st not celebrated here on the boards... maybe because it fell on a Sunday? I'm sure FB and Wile E were relieved! :zoe:

It also seemed quite muted all over the web. Maybe people are burnt out on April Fool's day jokes.

(by experimentation, I've determined that "t=8" is the magic part of the queryline, in case you want to try it with your own hometown).

You don't need to play with the url to access the 8-bit mode. It's actually one of the view options, along with Satellite and Map.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:51 am 
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Well, there was Tiger Direct with their Mini Nuclear Generator I saw a few Facebook status updates that were caused by the day, including George Takei posting about a Star Trek movie that he was going to be in called "Excelsior".

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:16 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
It did seem a bit more muted this year than last year, both on the web and off. Not sure why.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:33 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
I think it's because we're having one of the longest Lents in history and people are just too tired from all their sacrifices to prank.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 am 
Grillick wrote:
kitoba wrote:

You don't need to play with the url to access the 8-bit mode. It's actually one of the view options, along with Satellite and Map.

It was a view option on April 1st, but I think the only way to access it now is through the query string.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:30 am 
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
Apparently, it's also a view option once you've opened it once using the query string. Hence my confusion.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:29 pm 
FreakyBoy wrote:
I think it's because we're having one of the longest Lents in history and people are just too tired from all their sacrifices to prank.

Lent is the same length every year, FreakyBoy. Easter moves, yes, but so does Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent; and the date of Ash Wednesday is derived directly from the date of Easter so that Lent is the same length every year.

I haven't pulled an April Fool's joke for years.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:02 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
CCC wrote:
FreakyBoy wrote:

Lent is the same length every year, FreakyBoy. Easter moves, yes, but so does Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent; and the date of Ash Wednesday is derived directly from the date of Easter so that Lent is the same length every year.

Stop giving it away.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:28 am 
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
CCC wrote:
FreakyBoy wrote:

I haven't pulled an April Fool's joke for years.

And that also determines when Mardi Gras is. And just in case you're wondering, Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:36 am 
I noticed this article in the Guardian about Shaun Ryder becoming the government's new adviser on social class, and this Physics article on methods for calculating how many gods the universe should have, but nothing particularly good.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 am 
AOL: drachefly
John Scalzi did a followup to last year's "The Shadow War of the Night Dragons, Book One: The Dead City", which is still amazing as ever.

Let's just say, it would be impossible to put that in the 'Bookerdash' game by its present rules without violating fair use.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 pm 
LobosSolos wrote:
Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox.

...as calculated in the ecclesiastical calendar, that is. Astronomically, Easter does not necessarily fall on the date described. The calculation of when Easter falls is referred to as computus and is somewhat involved procedure. To complicate things, the algorithm used depends on which ecclesiastical calendar you use, as Eastern Orthodox Easter uses a Julian calendar, as opposed to the Gregorian calendar used by Western churches for their Easter calculations. Fun stuff. How about we just make our lives easier and pin it on the first Sunday in April, folks?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:27 pm 
AOL: nightflyer87
AlternateTorg wrote:
LobosSolos wrote:
Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox.

...as calculated in the ecclesiastical calendar, that is. Astronomically, Easter does not necessarily fall on the date described. The calculation of when Easter falls is referred to as computus and is somewhat involved procedure. To complicate things, the algorithm used depends on which ecclesiastical calendar you use, as Eastern Orthodox Easter uses a Julian calendar, as opposed to the Gregorian calendar used by Western churches for their Easter calculations. Fun stuff. How about we just make our lives easier and pin it on the first Sunday in April, folks?

I support this 190%. Mostly because it means I wouldn't have to share another birthday with Easter ever again.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat