Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: STROM is an anagram
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:46 am 
Something just occurred to me, which I'm sure others must have noticed and brought up before (forgive me this duplication if that is the case).

So [LINK] the Demon named Skip and his cohorts are trying to find a sentient piece of the Bug and restore him to power. Chilus's cult is trying to destroy the world in the Bug's name. Why? Because there was an ancient prophecy [LINK] that K'Z'K would be the Storm that would destroy the world. (And that Zoe was the one to defeat him.)

And now [LINK] Strom, who was investigating the Chilus cult, has apparently gone underground by joining it.

Is it a coincidence that Strom and Storm are anagrams of each other? Did the ancient prophecy mix up a couple of letters? Did the text of the prophecy get garbled as it was handed down through the generations? Is any of this possibly significant?

SPEC: When the sentient piece of K'Z'K is found, the Bug will possess the Chilus cult's newest member: Nash Strom. Very Bad Things will ensue.

Post subject: Re: STROM is an anagram
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:10 pm 
Well, it's not at all clear he has gone underground by joining it, but the potential for something like this is certainly there.

What I noticed was that Schlock reacts quite plausibly as if he doesn't know the cult symbol and hasn't heard about the cult. Even though he knows K'Z'K, that is. I think there were some old speculations that would be derailed by this, in the lines that his secret goal is to stop them.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:05 pm 
Bandersnatch wrote:
Is it a coincidence that Strom and Storm are anagrams of each other? Did the ancient prophecy mix up a couple of letters? Did the text of the prophecy get garbled as it was handed down through the generations? Is any of this possibly significant?

I'm not sure where you're going with this. Are you suggesting that Strom=Storm= K'z'k (or the "sentient piece")? If so, that would be very interesting. I also want to see how all this plays into the idea that Pete seems to be suggesting that all the present events are leading to the Web breaking and the beginning of 4U in the DON.

Last edited by reflexbc on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:55 pm 
Wow. You know, over and over I've thought that Strom's name was significant. I even thought of Storm. How I never made the connection with "Storm" and "Storm breaker" I'll never know.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:24 pm 
On the other hand, there's this comic [LINK], where Father Time refers to Strom by the somewhat similar-sounding "The Strawman." See: [WIKIPEDIA LINK].

So in what sense is Strom a straw man?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:05 pm 
That link was interesting, but I felt it was a little unclear; as far as I could tell, the actual "straw man" is the distorted version of the argument, which is presented as being equivalent to the original argument, and then is attacked and refuted. This is called "attacking the straw man."

So, if Strom is a straw man, that seems to imply that he is a distorted imitation of something else, that will be "set up in order to be knocked down." If this is correct, then the real question is, what is he a distortion/imitation of, and what does that have to do with the present storyline? He seems to be almost on a level with Oasis and Kusari (i.e. he's the only one who came even close to holding his own in a battle with Oasis, other than Kusari herself, and of course Bun-bun). So maybe he's a distorted, inferior version of the two sisters? Perhaps, by beating him, HC will think they can defeat Oasis, or at least finally subjugate her to their will?

I don't know, just thinking aloud here, I'm probably way off, it might just be a coincidence, but it's a cool idea. Any thoughts?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:00 am 
Wow, that would be interesting if Strom was really the incarnation of K'Z'K.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:35 am 
Strawman could mean several other things. For instance, I've always thought that the origin of the debate term was actually a wicker man: built to be burned.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:23 am 
"The Strawman" always sounded to me like just a generic that-kind-of-name (I can't really define what kind, but something appropriate in such a context) derived from one of his aliases, but I admit that isn't a very strong theory.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:10 am 
I always thought it somehow referred to his real name/background.

Like if someone referred to Clark Kent as a Strongman.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:41 am 
Bandersnatch wrote:
On the other hand, there's this comic [LINK], where Father Time refers to Strom by the somewhat similar-sounding "The Strawman." See: [WIKIPEDIA LINK].

So in what sense is Strom a straw man?

I think this is a more appropriate usage of the term.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:41 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
I posted in a previous thread that Strom backwards is Morts.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat