Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: Re: Duckies!
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:07 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: PlatonicBathos
weatherwax wrote:
Okay, that true names site is pretty much awesome. I should be in bed right now, and drat it I was looking up my various home cities.

I think I might buy one...

Hee, I love the Pennsylvania detail. EVerything goes back into detail, to the point where the names "Penn" and "Pitt" are broken down... and then Scranton is exactly the same!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:55 am 
AOL: Surgoshan
ASB, do tits say "chick-a-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee"?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:46 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
Surgoshan wrote:
ASB, do tits say "chick-a-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee"?
Most of the ones in the genus Poecile have some variation on that, and oher genera do make somewhat similarish calls.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:12 pm 
Wikipedia says that Australasian parrots aren't "true parrots", meaning cockatoos, keas, kakas and kakapos. I'm not really sure what "true parrot" means, since they've still got two toes facing forward and backwards on each foot, hooked bills, and a diet consisting largely of fruit and nuts (with the exception of keas, which will eat anything not nailed down).

I mean, the Australasian parrots were meant to have branched off the evolutionary tree some time back, but who's to say that makes them not "true parrots"? Isn't that like saying an orangutan isn't a true ape?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:24 pm 
Well, whatever you do, don't tell the Librarian that.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: AxelFendersson
caffeine wrote:
I love the way they've put the English Blackpool in there as the only place that still has the same modern name.

You missed Oxford, which is also unchanged.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:30 am 
AxelFendersson wrote:
You missed Oxford, which is also unchanged.

I thought I'd spotted another one in 'Kingston', but a bit of investigation revealed that this is actually Hull. If Hull's proper name is Kingston, though, shouldn't it be written 'King's Town' on this map?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:58 am 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: AxelFendersson
Hull's present name in full is 'Kingston-upon-Hull'. But yes, I'd have expected this map to render it as King's Town.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:50 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Kea wrote:
Wikipedia says that Australasian parrots aren't "true parrots", meaning cockatoos, keas, kakas and kakapos. I'm not really sure what "true parrot" means, since they've still got two toes facing forward and backwards on each foot, hooked bills, and a diet consisting largely of fruit and nuts (with the exception of keas, which will eat anything not nailed down).

I mean, the Australasian parrots were meant to have branched off the evolutionary tree some time back, but who's to say that makes them not "true parrots"? Isn't that like saying an orangutan isn't a true ape?
I've been trying to get Wikipedia to change "true parrot" to "typical parrot" (I'm an admin there but consensus rules the day). The answer is that all parrots were once treated as a single family, Psittacidae, and were the only family in the order Psittaciformes. More recently it was decided that the cockatoos were distinct enough from all other parrots to merit their own family, Cacatuidae. Then phylogenetic analysis found that the keas, kakas and kakapos of New Zealand were a lineage that split off from the basal parrots easily as long ago, so they were split out too, and called the Nestoridae. Modern taxonomy is heavily reliant not on morphological similarities or differences but on how long ago lineages split. The New Zealand parrots are a separate family not because they look particularly different from other parrots but because they split off from other parrots a really long time ago. I should note that Australia and New Zealand have other parrots that are still retained in the Psittacidae (the budgie being the most famous example).

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:36 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I think I agree with angrysunbird on the parrot "true" vs. "typical" problem. How does one go about determining which branch of birds are "true" with any degree of accuracy? If they all have a common ancestry than it only makes sense to refer to them all as parrots, wouldn't it?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:02 pm 
Hmmm. About all I know about birds is how to flip one... :torg:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:14 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Kajin wrote:
I think I agree with angrysunbird on the parrot "true" vs. "typical" problem. How does one go about determining which branch of birds are "true" with any degree of accuracy? If they all have a common ancestry than it only makes sense to refer to them all as parrots, wouldn't it?

True is better used in names when you are distinguishing between unrelated groups, for example a true thrush would be a member of the thrush family, as opposed to the inaccurately named New Zealand thrush which is... well no one is sure but maybe a bowerbird. If it wasn't extinct.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:02 pm 
Kajin wrote:
How does one go about determining which branch of birds are "true" with any degree of accuracy?

Just open up the ini file and check if parrot==1.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:22 pm 
I prefer the DCI’s highly scientific method of accurately identifying anything out of a general pool.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:09 pm 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
On the topic of birds, probably my favorite call of all the one's near me is the Carolina Wren. If you use your imagination a bit, you can totally hear John Belushi going "CHEEBURGER CHEEBURGER CHEE!"

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat