Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:36 pm 
This seems to be popping up in all kinds of places on the Web this week, so I figured I'd post it here, too.

There are quite a few States that have interesting bills coming up in this session. They all basically assert the rights of the States to not be dictated to by the federal government. Some of the language, though, is very strong, and I can't tell if it's just posturing, or if they mean it. Anyhow, here's a list of the bills that I've managed to get together so far:

Arizona
Missouri
Montana
New Hampshire
Washington

Supposedly, Michigan and Oklahoma, too, but I'm having trouble finding links to their bills.

I seem to remember something like this happening in the 90s, but I don't remember anything really coming out of it. Anybody else hearing about this, or know something about what's going on?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:54 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Et Tu Missouri?

Stupid State. Not that Kansas is much better...

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:18 am 
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
I blame the Sixteenth Amendment. If Congress didn't have as much money to throw around, they wouldn't be able to make all these conditional grants to states, like they do now.

Oh, and Abraham Lincoln, for winning the Civil War, the bastard.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:26 am 
Yes, I personally find it interesting that there's not a single former Confederate State on that list.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:44 am 
They know better.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:03 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Thaklaar wrote:
Yes, I personally find it interesting that there's not a single former Confederate State on that list.

Most of them have new constitutions specifically forbidding them from seceding.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:08 am 
FreakyBoy wrote:
Thaklaar wrote:

Most of them have new constitutions specifically forbidding them from seceding.

I only read Washington State's bill, but it neither explicitly nor implicitly threatened secession. Did one of the others do so?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:15 am 
HCR 0006 New Hampshire wrote:
That any Act by the Congress of the United States, Executive Order of the President of the United States of America or Judicial Order by the Judicatories of the United States of America which assumes a power not delegated to the government of United States of America by the Constitution for the United States of America and which serves to diminish the liberty of the any of the several States or their citizens shall constitute a nullification of the Constitution for the United States of America by the government of the United States of America. Acts which would cause such a nullification include, but are not limited to:

I. Establishing martial law or a state of emergency within one of the States comprising the United States of America without the consent of the legislature of that State.

II. Requiring involuntary servitude, or governmental service other than a draft during a declared war, or pursuant to, or as an alternative to, incarceration after due process of law.

III. Requiring involuntary servitude or governmental service of persons under the age of 18 other than pursuant to, or as an alternative to, incarceration after due process of law.

IV. Surrendering any power delegated or not delegated to any corporation or foreign government.

V. Any act regarding religion; further limitations on freedom of political speech; or further limitations on freedom of the press.

VI. Further infringements on the right to keep and bear arms including prohibitions of type or quantity of arms or ammunition; and

That should any such act of Congress become law or Executive Order or Judicial Order be put into force, all powers previously delegated to the United States of America by the Constitution for the United States shall revert to the several States individually. Any future government of the United States of America shall require ratification of three quarters of the States seeking to form a government of the United States of America and shall not be binding upon any State not seeking to form such a government

There you go.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:17 am 
Yes, well, New Hampshirites are crazy. I should know. I married one.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:19 am 
I've gleaned a few more tidbits about what this whole thing means and what it's all about.

- Medical marijuana: It's legal in some states, but illegal to the feds. The feds are still raiding suppliers/users that are considered legitimate to the states where it's legal. Sometimes, they even use mercenaries, such as Blackwater, to conduct the raids for them.

- RealID: Some states don't like this program, and they don't like that it's being mandated without funding.

- No Child Left Behind: Some states hate this program, but have no way to get out from under its heel.

- Mandated, unfunded programs in general: The Federal Government has a habit of mandating certain things, like RealID, without considering the costs to the states. They also don't provide any funding, or any mechanism to make funding available. They just say, "we want you to do X, and we want you to pay for it, have a nice day."

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:44 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Iowa seems to have it's own unique way of doing things - they just want to change the Federal Government. Or at least how the President is elected.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:35 am 
AOL: SimonJester1v1
Location: Look at me still talking when there's Science to do!
So Iowa is joining the club? Cool.

Of course, they already have a vastly disproportionate effect on the way our government works thanks to having the first presidential primary...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:44 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Micah, I also take note of the New Hampshire bill specifically mentioning guns and ammunition. That's another biggie.

A lot of gun owners are scared that Obama will take away their guns. I have not monitored his position on this issue closely.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:40 pm 
AOL: SimonJester1v1
Location: Look at me still talking when there's Science to do!
I think the issue is not really important to him one way or the other. Certainly not important enough to touch off a political firestorm. Especially not one that will convince thousands of crazies that it's time for revolution because the black helicopters are inbound.

Based on his "cling to" comment during the campaign, I suspect that he views gun control as a false issue- one that really isn't important to the well being of the country one way or the other. And that it gets blown out of proportion by people trying to use it as a wedge issue.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:27 pm 
Let's not veer further into discussing gun control. Not a reprimand, just a reminder.

Sooo...*awkward pause*...how about them Red Sox?

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts