Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:22 am 
AOL: ArialCoelura
linky

In a related note, some people speculate that the soldier who started the questions was put up to it by press.

What do ya'll think?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:05 am 
Did that reporter cause all the other soldiers in the room to break into applause? No. Did the reported force him to ask the question? No. Does it make the questionany less legitimate? No.
Am I aping Rumsfeld's habit of asking and answering his own questions? Perhaps.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:18 am 
AOL: mechamancer9
Location: Mechamancer is safe to use around children and small animals
What kind of answer is "well even if you have all the armour in the world they can still blow you up." I mean come on surely you can do better than that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:59 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
He could only do better than that if he cared; which he plainly doesn't. Never mind that he's had a couple of years to start buying this stuff, so there's no good reason for there only to be one supplier; that supplier had long since announced that they could be producing more, and no one wanted them to.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:32 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Weremensh wrote:
He could only do better than that if he cared; which he plainly doesn't. Never mind that he's had a couple of years to start buying this stuff, so there's no good reason for there only to be one supplier; that supplier had long since announced that they could be producing more, and no one wanted them to.

There are at least two suppliers. One in Florida, that just recently was asked to go to full production, and one here in Arizona that has been producing 300 sets of humvee armor upgrades per month (they are composites, not steel), with a capacity to produce 600 per month. One of our Representatives has been asking for 18 months why they don't produce at full capacity. As of today, they are still at half capacity.

Were's comment that Rummy doesn't care is wrong. Producing more armor contradicts Rummy's theory that the good old US of A can do things militarily cheaper and faster. Don't ever want to let reality get in the way of theory in the Bush administration.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:42 pm 
It was something that was badly needed. Rumsfeild is a career politician who, from what I've learned about him, has based his whole career on getting as high up in the goverment as possible and building as large a bueircratic empire as possible.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:02 pm 
AOL: TonySopranoRival
Location: Above a convinience store (backwaterplanet.com anyone?)
Even if he was put up to it by the press, it's still a valid question. And I don't think he would have said it if he didn't agree in some way. Although maybe a reporter did nudge him into saying it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:47 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The reporter's name is Edward Pitts, and he's from the Chattanooga Free Press. As far as setting the soldier up; according to Pitts, he helped said soldier formulate the question and made sure he could get to the mike. The question was the soldier's, though.

There's the usual wave of lies from the right wing media about this, of course; all of which presumes (or says) that the soldiers in question were blithering idiots who didn't know how to tell a reporter no, and who somehow were conned into lying about how bad things are just to embarrass Rumsfeld and Bush. Well, if Rush, Sean, Fox, et al weren't out there lying, they wouldn't get paid; so this isn't much of a surprise.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:28 am 
Besides, would it have been less valid had the reporter himself asked it?

Oh yeah, they don't let the press ask actual questions. Its a sad day in this country. The validity of the question asked and the answer given are far less important than the political affiliation of the person asking it.

We're becoming a land of Eloi and Morlocks...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:33 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
i hate to say this and i speak of my own branch as much as anyone elses....infantry troops aint always the brightest lights in the chandelier if you know what i mean, but seriously, as true and right as the question is there is an actual logical reason, its a matter of being able to rotate the units to the rear for the armor to be put on and getting the drivers used to the armor....driving a vehicle that all of a sudden wieghs some 400 pounds heavier due to new armor is somewhat different than what they were orriginally trained for......

the jist of what i'm saying is, production is not always the problem implementation usually is

WA

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts