Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:10 am 
Also known as time loops hurt my brain...

So, given this new era in our favorite bunny's plans, I thought I'd get this started.

What exactly do we know about Bun Bun's shady past? How much does HE know, at various points? And where might it all be going?

A few points I find interesting as of tonight:

Bun Bun apparently remembered being thrown out of time when he appeared at the start of the strip, if not all the details (ala concussion).

Ocean's Unmoving Bun Bun gives us our best glimpse of what he knew from his life before. He doesn't say much, but it might be a fruitful source for spec. I just noticed he had the switchblade the whole time... could his current one be the same? And did he get it from his past life (which seems very medieval), or Timeless Space?

For reference, here's the line Bun Bun heard from himself blaming Santa Claus for everything: http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=060201

I'd love to write a more comprehensive analysis, but I'm half asleep and I"m sure others are better. Just wanted to get some balls rolling!

[/b]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:16 am 
Might be a good idea, at this point, to turn this into another sticky thread a la WOHPAOH. So I'll contribute by adding the conclusions I just reached in the Christmas Bells thread.
I wrote:
It's all so clear now: in Christmas of 1997, Bun-bun attacked Santa in revenge for being tossed into Timeless Space, having forgotten exactly why it happened. Meanwhile, the lop had shown up on the Black Ops Elves' radar almost as soon as Uncle Time brought him to the pet shop, giving the Fat Man most of that year to brood over whatever their original quarrel may have been... prompting him to arrive heavily armed. And so it's gone since.

But now, Bun-bun knows that he does not know why the feud began, and he may be motivated enough to try and find out.

I predict that the secret history of the First Holiday Wars and the Origin of the Lop will be revealed to us within... oh, two years. Maybe just one, but no more than two.

--The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
"Oh, there's crime here. I can smell it."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:43 am 
No. Under no condition should this become a sticky.
Once we have everything compiled we should boil everything down and take the results and make them into a sticky.

~Bun-Bun is disproportionatly powerful of a rabbit of equal mass. He is stronger than any amount of muscle that you could cram into his volume should possibly be able to make him. He is, while also somewhat more durable, still a flesh and blood entity and is effected by wounds and poison the same as any man.

~He associates with human beings sexually, enjoying the sight of nubile young women rather than nubile young rabbits. He does, however, have the same tastes as a normal rabbit in the way of food. Leafy greens and lots of hay. The sole exception to this is his love of booze which shouldn't be seen as too unusual because alcohol effects all animals the same way and, after all, it is just fermented plant products.

~He, like Kiki, ages at a different rate from normal animals. He would be dead by now under normal circumstances even if you only count the days he has been in strip-continuity and forgetting what he was doing before ending up in timeless space the first time.

~He is capable of wielding a knife with expert precision, among other tools and weapons. This means he either has prehensile thumbs or some damn strange other gripping arrangement.

Last edited by BlankSlate on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:44 am 
Agreed... probably is easy to just consolidate stuff... I'll toss my reply back up here:

Ack, looks like we had the same idea :)

Much as I like to think Pete had this ALL planned out (and still think he had alot more than we know), this comic seems to give a bit of an inconsistancy... bun bun "toping the naughty list every year," even if he's been gone for centuries.. http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=971221

When we write down the seamless canon history we can just say that Bun Bun was placed on the list in absentia, PERMINANTLY because he was just that bad. But I suspect that Bun Bun's past, wacky as he knew it would be, may not have been fully concieved in the mind of the mighty Pete.

The mother revelation in the shadow realms was quite interesting... and seems to tie bun bun even more strongly to a medieval-era backstory.

Personally, I've always assumed him to be in the lineage of the Montey Python bunny. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:57 am 
~Bun-bun possesses a normal rabbit's urge to chew on things, which when combined with his superlapine strength makes him an absent-minded hazard capable of bringing down entire houses without meaning to. He seems to have successfully suppressed this habit after the first couple of years with Torg.

~He can fire weapons from a Glock to a bazooka without being knocked back by recoil.

...Going over that strip, I find it fairly easy to interpret that the lop is annoying Santa more than usual simply because he's returned from exile, and his prior status on the list was a legacy. Santa knew he was probably still alive, perhaps even darkly suspected he'd find a way back -- other returnees must have popped up on the BOE's records, maybe even telling tall tales of the Bloody Bun.

--The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
"The streets will run RED with Santa!"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:53 am 
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
~ Bun-bun also has a tactical mind
~ He doesn't like to lose (as we saw in Holiday Wars)
~ Oh, this is probably redundant, but he doesn't like telemarketers
~ Again, also probably redundant, but he likes Baywatch
~ I think he has also got some latent memories that he hasn't worked out yet (such as seen in Holiday Wars with the Deus Ex Ovum Ter egg)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:14 am 
How about what he's not:

He's not vulnerable to EMP. That means whatever seperates him from a normal rabbit it's not nanites. He could have some cyborging if he had it in a faraday cage. If he had bionic musculature we would have noticed. If he had a computer in his head he would need a faraday cage for a skull and that would reasonably be designed to also resist concussions. That leaves abnormal intelligence, abnormal lifespan, and abnormal strength. Lifespan and maybe strength could come from genetic engineering. I don't think intelligence could given the size of his braincase. That leaves magic, though if intelligent animals are accepted as happening in the setting (as witness Kiki) his strength and longevity could be the result of genetic modifications.

I personally lean towards magic, but a genetically engineered super lop would be pretty cool.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:40 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: alecatmew
AOL: alecatmew
Santa threw him out once before (the first time?): http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=040111

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:35 am 
AOL: Bantafood
-The sword that killed Bun-Bun's mother is NOT Chaz. At least, not in his current form. Nor is it Calmadar or the second spear of the Amospian wizard.
-Bun-Bun used the same logo on his "Pirate Raft" with Jaya and Kiki that he did on the Bloody Bun. Whether Pete had planned it that far in advance or not, it's now canon that he used the symbol in timeless space first.
-It might have been just a throwaway gag, but in his first appearance, Bun-Bun knows about Jazz-discs and computers.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:03 am 
~Other Holidays obviously don't know Bun-bun before the Holiday wars (at least the Pumpkin-Head, Basphomy, the Easter Bunnys, the turkeys and the whole Christmas Council (with the obvious exceptions of Mrs. Claus and the Elves) don't see any special danger in him).
Bun-bun dated a fairy at a knew year's eve.

~His greatest fear is not being in control, but he can deal with this and it doesn't slow him down (Basphomy tried to use his fear against him with no effect when he challanged the pumpkin, and the shadow creatures were not successful either)

~It is once said he is a herbivore like a normal bunny (I think it is before Oasis' first appearance when he was lost in the woods together with Torg and Kiki)

~Despite several threats he seems to like Kiki. He tries to avoid anwsering Kiki's question whether he is her best friend when he was under truth spell in Wayung Kulit altough he probably would just tell her if he truly dislikes her.

~His mother was killed and he couldn't control it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:18 pm 
Bun-Bun was around when the second Deus Ex Ovum was used.

Santa used a Deus Ex Ovum against Bun-Bun. It was almost certainly the second one.

Alecat wrote:
Santa threw him out once before (the first time?): http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=040111

Nice catch. I had forgotten that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:36 pm 
looks like we'll have a good fight between Bun-bun and Santa :bunbun:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:45 pm 
The Max wrote:
-
-Bun-Bun used the same logo on his "Pirate Raft" with Jaya and Kiki that he did on the Bloody Bun. Whether Pete had planned it that far in advance or not, it's now canon that he used the symbol in timeless space first.

-It might have been just a throwaway gag, but in his first appearance, Bun-Bun knows about Jazz-discs and computers.

Bun Bun did read alot, as we see in the time spent in his store. He also seems fairly comfortable with the wacky timeless space tech too though; I need to re-read that section to see how he's acting, could give some clues on what he knew at that period. Then again, Kada was there and he was on a ship of ex-geeks. He may not have needed much knowledge to run the ship, just enough to boss them around, and could have picked up loads about computers from them. Think about it... a medieval-era rabbit thrust into a void full of people from all times, and workin with people hundreds of years in the future from us. Coming back to our era might have seemed primitive by contrast, even if he was from an even more ancient time first.

-Another interesting bit about flags... as I pointed oute elsewhere, during the "Dilbert War" tangeant, Bun Bun is clearly seen hoisting a flag with a small bunny on it... and a blue egg next to him. This was several months before he actually killed the easter bunny, and over a year before he was offered the full title (which, unlike Santa it seems one has to accept willingly, according to the Holiday Wars). Pete may have just been doodling/literally giving us an "easter egg," but it could be inferred that Bun Bun took easter in the past as well... or maybe was even the original?

~ ~ ~

As for his superhuman strength, long life and speech... I'm not sure if he we should read into that TOO much. The sluggyverse seems to have plenty of talking animals in it, even if plenty of people remain oblivious, as well as fairies, elves and all sorts of magical creatures. The best comparison might just be a sub race of "Narnian" critters that are more sentient and powerful for unknown reasons.

-The fairy he dated was the Suger Plum fairy, met during "Snowfinger" and a member of the Christmas council. She appeared quite taken by him, but also annoyed during his annual 151ing at the New Years party. Also, a fairy ressembling her was managing the construction his court during his brief reign at the North pole.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:54 pm 
Rysto wrote:
Bun-Bun was around when the second Deus Ex Ovum was used.

Santa used a Deus Ex Ovum against Bun-Bun. It was almost certainly the second one.

Alecat wrote:

Nice catch. I had forgotten that.

*Ponders* Not sure if I follow Alecat, is he was just reminding us Santa through Bun Bun out the first time? ... assumed that was common knowledge, unless you're saying something more?

GOOD catch though, on the egg. It WAS used on him before... I can't believe I missed that bit.

I had a theory that Bun Bun may have reinacted all of his past mistakes against the holidays, thanks to his amnesia... and now, for the first time he's able to learn from them. Should make this a very interesting year, though he may be QUITE pissed if he realizes just how many time screws he's stuck in as he remembers more of his past.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:04 pm 
Today's comic messed with my head enough to make me believe that maybe Santa hadn't thrown Bun-Bun out of the timestream the first time around.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat