Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post subject: Re: the kitoba game
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:08 pm 
[OOG - Welcome to the game, drache! Sorry, no score. You almost got a point but it wasn't expressed properly (or rather, it shouldn't have been).

Today's clue: Nearly *every* OOG comment I've made has either had a disguised hint, open info about the game, or both.]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:37 pm 
Could I perhaps ask how many points each OOG comment would have scored, had it been eligible for score?

The thing is, so far, I know plenty of things that are not part of the score. I know that you're not waiting for any single letter of the alphabet. I know that you're not waiting for us to mention our own usernames. I know, most frustratingly of all, that the state changes just about every time someone gets a point, and that changes what does and does not score, which means that I can't look at posts which have already scored to see what would score in the future. Only three posts that contained any score at all have been posted, and none of those in the current state...

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:23 pm 
[OOG Actually more than one of those things you think you know is at least technically wrong. :kiki:

I'll clear at least one of your misperceptions up. As with Drache's game, the state changes every time a point is scored. So we've actually been through each state twice if you count the first post. That's a HUGE clue if you follow the implications.

I can't actually score the OOG comments because they would have changed the state if they had scored.]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:03 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
You said there's a 3 point max per post. Does that mean you have to score in each successive state (i.e. 1 point in State 1, then 1 point in state 2 etc) or can you earn 3 points in State 1 for example?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:33 am 
...ah. So, three states total. That is indeed important. And that means that one of the things I thought I knew was wrong - I thought your original post scored all three points in State 1. Now I find, on the contrary, that it scored one point in each state, and left the game neatly back in State 1.

Then I scored one point in State 1, and Dodger scored one point in State 2, bringing us now to State 3. That means that, indeed, one of the things I thought I knew was wrong.

But the other two must be right, or at least must be right within the context of State 3. I know that you're not looking for a given letter of the alphabet in State Three because you've been given every single letter of the alphabet since we entered this state and awarded them no points. I know that you're not looking for self-reference to username in State Three because Drachefly mentioned his own username in his first post and failed to obtain any points.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:19 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I have trouble keeping score of the game I run where I know the rules.
I was stunned by my points scored in Drache's game. Now that we know there are demerits, I have a feeling my chances of scoring are low.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:10 am 
[OOG -

@CCC, in contrast to your previous post, everything you said in your last one is correct. I should mention, however that the phrase "single letter" is ambiguous. Your current statement about it is correct, however, with either meaning. @Dodger, that should answer your question as well.

I'm a bit surprised that no one has scored in State 3 yet, given how many clues you have now. If nothing else, you now know that something in the first post did score in that state. You should also be able to sort winning posts by state now. Really, the big challenge will be posting in State 3 without giving away the secret to the other players. State 3 is difficult (there are only 4 posts not counting mine that wouldn't have scored in State 1, and one of those four would have scored in State 2).

@Steave, welcome to the game, and thanks for helping keep WGARS (and the kitoba game concept) alive with your game]

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:46 am 
My current working theory, then, is this:

1. To score in State One, a post must merely begin with the phrase "OK, I".
2. To score in State Two, a post must include the phrase "kitoba game".
3. I don't know how one scores in State Three, but the phrase "out of mothballs! If you have never played this one before, this time it is quite similar to drache's in terms of evolving game state and scoring. He made it a little easier than this one, however... in as much as his rules never changed! :kiki:" apparently does it. Sooooo... copy and paste feels a bit cheap, but if it works...?

These rules are completely arbitrary and don't make any particular sense. This leads me to suspect that my model of the game is very badly flawed - and Kitoba's last OOG comment encourages this belief, since there were more than four posts that did not begin with "OK, I". However, flawed or not, I have not yet seen a single point-scoring post which violated the above three rules.

...I also have absolutely no idea how the demerits are supposed to work.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 pm 
[OOG Congrats! Copy and paste, cheap as it is, does work. I wondered when someone would decide that was the easiest way to get a guaranteed point.

2 additional points, no demerits for CCC (although the way he did the quoting did force me to make some judgement calls)

The game is now back to State 2. And yes, the rules are not nearly as arbitrary as your version of them. :zoe: ]

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:35 pm 
kitoba game

...I'm testing my theory about how to score in state two.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:38 pm 
AOL: drachefly
You know, when Steave started his game, I couldn't figure it out either. But then the rules were published, and… what. Kitoba, please say that the rules of this game are more comprehensible.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:57 pm 
I think I might now know how to score in every state. Unless I am wrong (and I am never wrong*) I should be able to score the maximum 3 points, if I can avoid more demerits that is. CCC's post helped a lot but I suspect he isn't quite there yet. OK, kitoba, did it work?

(OOG: *This is blatantly false of course, but I couldn't help but to ref Princess Bride there. I hope I don't get a demerit for it.)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:07 pm 
[OOG
CCC - no score
drache - 1 point and 1 demerit (total 0 score), leaving the game in state 3
Dodger77 - 1 point and 1 demerit, leaving the game in state 1

I'm not sure if drache has figured it out and is being very clever about it, or was just lucky. I suspect Dodger77 is on the right track, but maybe still doesn't understand the demerits system.

It's important to note that even though a post can pass through more than one state, it does so in order. In other words, the state doesn't change until the point is scored, even inside a post.

HOWEVER, game events are quantized, even though the quantum is smaller than a post.
]

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:32 pm 
OK, you're right, I don't understand the demerit system. If I am to escape the hole of negative points, I must get a better understanding of the demerit system. (OOG: Although I must say your latest clue has gone completely over MY head, but I think it will make more sense to drachefly.) He seems the right kind of fellow to deal with quanta.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:43 pm 
AOL: drachefly
Kitoba, your guess about figuring-out… Maaaybe?

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness