Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:24 pm 
So, total points per all players = state, and state is on a mod 25 loop?

And the things kitoba did that scored points in other states didn't do diddly in this one...

:sam:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:23 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
I think you miscounted, there.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:57 am 
...or was that a clever ploy?

:sam: no, not really...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:44 am 
Puzzling, indeed.

All in all, this is a fairly baffling game. Though the chances of deciphering the rules of this game seem shockingly remote, I can just about assume the knowledge that continually meandering on and on about - well, about any arbitrary topic, really - should quite satisfactorially improve my odds of gaining any points at all - since it does not seem like I could earn any negative points. Were I of a mind to do so, in fact, I believe I could exactly replicate any number of points by simply quoting and re-quoting the first page an arbitrary number of times.

However, I do have a theory, and in terms of that theory, this post should score enough to put me ahead of any other player currently in the game...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:51 am 
CCC: a winner is you. For everyone else - he scored a lot and left the game state exactly where it was before his post. Can anyone else figure out what the rule was?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:40 am 
If I understand the scoring correctly, then this post won't score, but I think you may have made an error back in this post - I count it as scoring six, not four.

With, naturally, knock-on effects from there on out.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:30 pm 
Yup. Missed those two.

Dodger77, did I screw you up with that? You did say immediately after that it didn't pan out. It'd be a shame if you would have won on page 1 but I messed up and threw you off.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:12 pm 
AOL: Dodger724
Sort of? I don't really know to do with this game. Based on what I suspected back then, I could see why CCC scored a few points, but as he apparently scored quite a lot of points, it seems that my old theory about this game wasn't very good in the first place. And I am still not sure what effects state has on the game besides what has already been stated. (Hah!)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:23 am 
There appear to have been a couple of, well, mis-counted posts. And since each point of score changed state, this had knock-on effects on later posts. It's still possible to figure out the rule, bearing in mind that Drachefly is fallible; but to make it more straightfoward, these are the points as I understand them:

Drachefly's first post, as advertised, 10
No more points until Steave's post, which scored 6.
Nothing more again until Drachefly made a post that would have been worth 6 points.
Dodger promptly scored a single point.
Drachefly (who wasn't in the state he thought he was in and wouldn't have scored the points he claimed even if he was) put up a zero-point post.
No more points were won until Steave claimed another two points.
Dodger scored one point by quoting Drachefly (which was enough to return the game to the initial state) and a further seven points in the rest of his post.
Drachefly's next post would have been worth two points.
Dodger's next quote is worth only a single point, with no more points outside the quote.
The next points are scored by Kitoba, whose post obtains a full five points.
Parannoyed scores one point (not that points were particularly hard to score in that state - though he didn't leave it in the easiest state).
Drachefly's next post would have scored nine, meaning that the next point earned would advance the game back to the starting state again.
And then my post advanced the game the exact number of points required to progress through one entire cycle and leave the game state precisely where it had been before my post.

This post, by my count, advances the score ten points and leaves it in a (hopefully) easier state for other people to score in.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:19 am 
Hmm.... Apparently, when I scored points (the same number of points I thought I was going to score) it was for a completely different reason than the reason I thought it was.

I've got no actual idea what's going on. But kudos to CCC, our resident mathematician supreme, for seemingly figuring it out!

I feel he should get bonus points for correcting the gamemaster! Or should those be demerits instead...?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:33 pm 
It appears that no one is trying any more, so I'll give the rule if you like?

Spoiler: show
The state is the letter of the alphabet I'm looking for. It starts as A. When I find the letter I'm looking for, the one who posted it scores a point and I move on to the next letter of the alphabet, and wrap from Z to A again as needed.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:01 am 
Location: We dine well here in Camelot. We eat ham and jam and spam a lot.
I still don't get it.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:19 am 
Let me show you where Drachefly scored points in his first post:

drachefly wrote:
Hello all, I'm starting a new game. Your posts can score points and change the game state. There is not much game state, but it can dramatically change the score of a post.
Splitting a post into two consecutive posts will not change its score. Please do not edit posts so we do not have retroactive game state changes.

I will periodically declare players' scores. I will not wait for a new page. Also, my posts affect game state, and if I were playing and not just judging, this post would have scored ten points.

Then no-one else scored a point until someone (Steave, as it happened) used the letter 'k', and so on...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:08 am 
Oh crap! LOL, I was going off an entirely different rule :sam:

I thought every piece of punctuation after the first one was a point. I couldn't figure out state at all with that theory.

I should have been tipped off by the mod 26 state. I mean, what else is mod 26 than the alphabet? Maybe if I hadn't miscounted it

Well, great game drache, and a well-deserved congrats to CCC for winning it. Maybe I'll bring the kitoba game back out, now that both the drache game and the Steave game have clear winners....

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:40 pm 
AOL: Dodger724
Yeah, so my way off theories were as follows: 1 point per complete sentece; 1 point for punctuation marks (like kitoba); 1 point for the phrase "this game." I kind of feel bad that the game is over so soon. I'd like to think I would have figured it out eventually but the temptation to read drache's spoilers were too great.

The state was the biggest hint. I tried my own count but kept coming up with kitoba's 25. Odd. If I had figured out where I was going wrong with the state count I might have had a shot.

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness