Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:10 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Dangit. I thought his having long fingers was a detail from an adaptation, rather than the original. I it hadn't been for that...

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:58 am 
Hmmm. I had no problem with long fingers, but nervous fingers threw my guess out. For me, it was between Solara and Kitoba; all of the rest of the options I'd quickly eliminated. (Too quickly, in the case of 'nervous fingers').

Drachefly's was rejected on the basis that Holmes only used cocaine if he was bored and didn't have a case, never to help solve a case (for that he used tobacco and starvation); mine was rejected on the basis that I had submitted it; Jorodyn's on the basis that Holmes would not be likely to inject a syringeful of air into his arm and Doyle tends to be careful about that sort of detail (Jorodyn's entry could have made a good third line, though, after some of the other lines); Stan's was rejected entirely on the basis of "withing" (watch that spelling, Stan) and Inspiration's was rejected on the basis that Holmes would not voluntarily quit London 'for the quieter air of the countryside' unless he had a case to solve there (as noted in the section posted. Holmes' mind 'rebels at stagnation'; his cases are everything, and he hates taking a break from them).

--------------

So. Who's up next?

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:11 am 
I believe the only player who has not gone is our beloved games mistress, insp, who is apparently trying to make up for lost time on the scoreboard!

kitoba: 14
CCC: 12
Solara Hanover: 8
Jorodryn: 8
drachefly: 7
Stan Cold: 9
AlternateTorg: 5
inspiration: 5

Quote:
Guessed by CCC. I liked that this line was submitted, as in the book Watson indeed proceeds to protest Holmes' drug habit with some vehemence. (see below) This line made me curious about the usage of the term "fan" as being short for "fanatic." From what I've read, it is an American abbreviation, so I don't know that Doyle would have used it. Still, it attracted a guess, so that's all that matters!

When I reread my own entry, the word "fan" jumped out at me like a sore thumb, but it was too late to change it by then.

I knew I was guessing the wrong entry this round --and that it was probably inspiration's --but none of the others stuck out to me as any more plausible than another.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:57 am 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
kitoba wrote:
When I reread my own entry, the word "fan" jumped out at me like a sore thumb, but it was too late to change it by then.

I doubled up a word in mine, but mercifully caught it right after sending and was able to edit it! I also blanked on the books being written from Watson's POV (an amazing feat of forgetfulness, to be sure) and just got lucky that what I wrote worked both ways.

Let's wind this up with a book I've never read entirely because I can't imagine how the rest of it could live up to the delicious promise of the opening line:

Quote:
"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, translation by Gregory Rabassa

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:37 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
CCC wrote:
Drachefly's was rejected on the basis that Holmes only used cocaine if he was bored and didn't have a case, never to help solve a case (for that he used tobacco and starvation)

I was hoping some people wouldn't recall that.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
I know nothing about Sherlock Holmes short of the fact he was a detective, he had a buddy named Watson, he wore a funny hat, and played the violin. I think I may remember he was a drug addict, but I forget.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:27 pm 
Jorodryn wrote:
I know nothing about Sherlock Holmes short of the fact he was a detective, he had a buddy named Watson, he wore a funny hat, and played the violin. I think I may remember he was a drug addict, but I forget.

The deerstalker hat was added in later adaptations. In the books, Holmes wore whichever hat suited the occasion, and quite often no hat at all.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:59 pm 
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
Oh sure ruin my image of Holmes. Next thing you'll tell me is that the character James West from Wild Wild West was actually white.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:05 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
There's a reason they got Robert Downey, Jr. to play him in the recent film...

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:51 pm 
Grillick wrote:
There's a reason they got Robert Downey, Jr. to play him in the recent film...

Because he is an accomplished violinist?

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:31 pm 
Any update insp?

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:40 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Still waiting on three submissions.

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:09 pm 
ack. I am one of them, I thought I already sent it in. I will have it to you later today.

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:51 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Quote:
They set out much too late to find any, of course.

Quote:
It had been a chilly day, he recalled, in the depths of winter.

Quote:
At the time he was little more than a boy, yet all the melancholy whores on their balcony turned their heads to watch, as his father hurried him past the brothel that was the last building on the road out of town.

Quote:
That day was marked vividly in his mind, for it was not every day his father said, "Son, let us discover ice."

Quote:
It was a muggy, hot day; the sort where one wishes for the blissful release of a November rain to wash the sticky sweet perspiration from the brow.

Quote:
At that time Macondo was a village of twenty adobe houses, built on the bank of a river of clear water that ran along a bed of polished stones, which were white and enormous, like prehistoric eggs.

Quote:
A simple question about the tops of the mountains began that journey, just as a simple question brought him here.

Quote:
Having lived all his life in poverty and the sweltering heat of Riohacha, Colombia, Aureliano had never seen an ice cube, much less anything like a glacier or even a frozen pond.

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:06 am 
Oooh, this is a tough one.

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness