Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post subject: Re: Bookerdash II
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
CCC wrote:
I really should go with the dartboard for guessing. I have no trouble with making entries, but I'm really really bad at guessing them...

It's kind of interesting that both kitoba and I guessed one of your entries, but were fooled by the other.

Good game, everybody! :zoe:

ETA: that last round gets more interesting the more I look at the results. We all had more trouble guessing one another's entries than in earlier rounds (only Kitoba guessed half of them correctly). I tried to make my own fake entries look different from my other fake entries, and I suspect that everybody else did the same. In particular, kitoba's entries did not scream "kitoba!" at me the way they did in the first two rounds.

Also, this round I had to consciously pick the "real" openings differently than I had in earlier rounds, since inspiration has been so danged good at fooling me previously, and I could not afford to throw her any easy points if I wanted to win (this meant giving CCC a point, however). The only reason I was able to correctly guess the Odd Thomas entry was because that was the only entry that used "Odd Thomas" for his name rather than just "Odd." It would be interesting to know whether inspiration picked it for the same reason.

Kudos to Stan for a most interesting and difficult final round!

All in all, this was a fun game. It would be even more fun with more players.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:51 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Llefser wrote:
The only reason I was able to correctly guess the Odd Thomas entry was because that was the only entry that used "Odd Thomas" for his name rather than just "Odd." It would be interesting to know whether inspiration picked it for the same reason.

Actually, I only got it because I've read the book before. *kicks pebble*

You would not believe the mental contortions I went through on Llefser's Lamb entry. I had done something similar on the Abe-Lincoln-Vampire-Hunter one, where Llef had a line about "acquainted with the use and making of wooden stakes" and I ultimately decided an editor would have recommended "making and use" instead so it couldn't be the real one.

On this, I was convinced an editor would have recommended cutting "Word was on my laptop" because it dilutes the joke, but I knew it was that or the cleaning-out-the-closet one, and (no offense to Stan) I hated the latter so much that I just hoped I was wrong and the funnier opening was the real one.

I've had a blast playing this game, and the only downside is how many of the invented lines make me want to read the alternate-universe book that they begin.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:14 pm 
inspiration wrote:
Llef had a line about "acquainted with the use and making of wooden stakes" and I ultimately decided an editor would have recommended "making and use" instead so it couldn't be the real one.

On this, I was convinced an editor would have recommended cutting "Word was on my laptop" because it dilutes the joke

Possibly the most carefully couched critique of my writing that anyone has ever given me. :sam:

Quote:
I've had a blast playing this game, and the only downside is how many of the invented lines make me want to read the alternate-universe book that they begin.

How about a spin-off game? Each of us picks one or more of the fake openings and writes a short-short story to go along with it.

It might also be fun if each of us reads one of the books used in the game and posts a short review.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:35 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Llefser wrote:
Possibly the most carefully couched critique of my writing that anyone has ever given me. :sam:

Oh, hush. :kiki:

Quote:
How about a spin-off game? Each of us picks one or more of the fake openings and writes a short-short story to go along with it.

That could be a really fun game -- somebody picks a book, everybody writes a fake opening line, then everybody chooses one of the lines (including the real opening line) and builds a flash piece around it.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:12 am 
inspiration wrote:
Quote:

That could be a really fun game -- somebody picks a book, everybody writes a fake opening line, then everybody chooses one of the lines (including the real opening line) and builds a flash piece around it.

Sounds like fun. Thing is, though, most of my opening lines weren't exactly fake... I took them out of other books and changed a word or two to fit, to prevent anyone from picking up any distinctive style I may have. (For example, the line "Johnny never knew for certain why he started seeing the dead. The Alderman thought it was because he was too lazy not to." is the start of Pratchett's "Johnny and the Dead" - many, but not all, of my lines were similarly snatched from other books on my shelf).

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:44 pm 
CCC wrote:
I took them out of other books and changed a word or two to fit, to prevent anyone from picking up any distinctive style I may have.

I say, old chap, is that really cricket? :bert:

The funny thing is that it still seemed like your entries had a style of their own --maybe based on what kinds of books you like?

At any rate, one of the best WGARS games ever! Thanks insp :)

Llefser wrote:
I tried to make my own fake entries look different from my other fake entries, and I suspect that everybody else did the same. In particular, kitoba's entries did not scream "kitoba!" at me the way they did in the first two rounds

Actually, I was really just trying to create an entry that wouldn't offend my own religious sensibilities! I didn't want to go too broad.

As far as your entry --I don't know if you can successfully disguise your distinctive sense of humor. That's what I always look for in a Llefser entry...

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:52 pm 
kitoba wrote:
CCC wrote:
I took them out of other books and changed a word or two to fit, to prevent anyone from picking up any distinctive style I may have.

Careful -- go too far down this road, and we might have to investigate such claims as this one:

CCC wrote:
Kitoba: Two points for correctly identifying Agatha Christie's work, one point for managing to get more of the authors correct than anyone else. No-one guessed yours; a pity, really, since number 10 is actually a quote from the book (just before the end of chapter one); for a grand total of three.

:sasha:

Disclaimer: my Mouse and His Child fake opening contained a paraphrase of the first sentence of a different Russell Hoban book. I can't remember which one anymore, but it likely was one of his Frances books.

Quote:
I don't know if you can successfully disguise your distinctive sense of humor. That's what I always look for in a Llefser entry

Hide it under a basket? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine
Let it shine
Let it shine! :kiki:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:04 am 
kitoba wrote:
CCC wrote:

No, it's bookerdash...

kitoba wrote:
The funny thing is that it still seemed like your entries had a style of their own --maybe based on what kinds of books you like?

I even tried to choose some examples from books or stories I didn't particularly like to prevent this... hmmm. If I didn't succeed in cutting out any hint of distinctive style by this method, then I'm not sure what else I can do to hide it.

Or maybe kitoba is just psychic when it comes to identifying bookerdash submissions.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:43 am 
Man, just stumbled across this thread and it made me all nostalgic for the golden days of WGARS. Pure writing gold used to just flow out of people on throwaway games...

Here's to hoping everyone is still writing, somewhere...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:23 pm 
AOL: drachefly
I'm not - not like that, anyway.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:09 pm 
kitoba wrote:
Man, just stumbled across this thread and it made me all nostalgic for the golden days of WGARS. Pure writing gold used to just flow out of people on throwaway games...

Here's to hoping everyone is still writing, somewhere...

Me too, this is one of my favorite WGARS threads! :sasha:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:49 pm 
AOL: Dodger724
OMG

HI LLEF!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:57 pm 
Llefser wrote:
Me too, this is one of my favorite WGARS threads! :sasha:

<g> :kiki:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:09 pm 
AOL: Dodger724
My favorite thread is here. A las, 'tis not the real thread, 'tis but a tribute.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:12 am 
Hi kitoba! It took ten years, but I finally caught up with you!

Also, hi Dodger!

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness