Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Brexit
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:40 am 
We don't seem to have a discussion about it yet.

What i am suprised about is, that pretty much everyone in the British political elite acts like they had considered such a vote so unlikely, that they did not make plans for it, including the "Leave" camp . (With the possible exception of the Scottisch goverment, but maybe that just happily fits neatly in their exisiting seperatist plans.) Everyone elses position seems to be "Umm, we have to think about, what we want to do now."

Post subject: Re: Brexit
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:23 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Apparently pretty high on the list is go back and change their vote. That aside, I was amused to see that Spain is leading the movement to forbid Scotland to secede from the UK and join the EU; it seems they're still concerned about separatists of their own.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:02 am 
I saw pretty good word to describe the whole situation on Vox.com today, and that word was "omnishambles".

I think that when everybody is done scrambling around, they'll find that it's not as big of a disaster as everyone thinks it's going to be. But the longer they scramble, the worse it will get.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:40 am 
At least from the outside, the Brexiters give the impression of a dog who managed to catch the car it was chasing and now has no idea what to do with it.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:37 am 
What can happen?

1) The British government aims for the Swiss model. They are formally not part of the EU, but implements all the EU-rules anyway and have treaties with the EU that mean they are nearly de facto EU members, only they have no say in EU decisions. Sort of an EU colony. Seems to be the plan of the EU elites.

2) The British government does not formally attempt to leave the EU for the time being, because it is too busy with internal matters. Do this long enough to get an excuse to make a new referendum or find an excuse to ignore it. Or probably have the intention of leaving the EU but not right now indefinitly. Seems to be the plan of the British government.

3) The UK tries some real non EU policy. There does not seem a coherent plan for such a policy no real plausible path to a government that is going to implement it. After all the majority of the MPs is AFAIK pro EU.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:40 am 
It seems like the main conflict is this:

1) The UK wants to keep the benefits of being in the EU without any of the responsibilities or downsides. They want to keep the trade agreements more or less the same, and they want UK citizens to continue being able to work in Europe. But they don't want to send taxes to the EU, and they want to keep EU immigrants out of the UK.

2) The EU's response to this is "Pffft! As if!" (Yes, just like a '90s teenager.) The EU wants them out as soon as possible and as painfully as possible in order to make an example of them.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:24 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Meanwhile various parties in other countries maneuver to schedule the same vote in their own country, what what seems to be some chance of success.

Btw; I loved the line in Last Week Tonight where Mr. Oliver points out that Britain has always been independent; indeed, it's what many other countries celebrate their independence from...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:05 pm 
Well, it's signed, sealed and delivered now.

I am deeply disappointed that the country I live in made this decision. I am glad that none of my grandparents, who fought for the unity of Europe, are around to see this. It would break their hearts.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:42 am 
So the conservative government called for a new election, presumebly to get a large enough majority to be able to ignore their own anti Brexit MPs.

It didn't work out. I guess British politics will now get very interesting in the Chinese sense of the word.

Our medias coverage does not go into that much detail, but are there any trends like if more pro or anti Brexit conservatives or labour MPs have won or lost?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:37 am 
I have no idea. I've only heard Corbyn also ran on a pro-Brexit platform and thereby managed to change the subject to domestic issues. Theresa May got bludgeoned over the conservatives' austerity policies, especially the so-called "dementia tax".

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts