Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:17 am 
Bongo Bill wrote:
It's 'cause being a hippie and/or a new-age nut is falling out of fashion. No longer can people who protested during the sixties and who took a lot of LSD in the seventies and who bought into quasi-Taoism in the eighties and who kept being bought into quasi-Taosim in the nineties continue their ways without looking like fools.

So...are you saying that all the hippies turned into anti-Semites? Or that relicated quasi-Taoism to the realm of foolishness was a bad move, because it brought anti-Semitism back? Or what? I can see there's been a general move from stupid love movements to stupid hate movements, but your cause-and-effect doesn't make any sense to me.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:58 am 
On the face of it, it seems unlikely; being as how many of the antisemites that I am aware of don't seem ever to have been hippies/new-agers. Not to mention that most of them are way too young to have been active in those decades. But perhaps old BBill meant his comments metaphorically?
As for political leanings, antiSemitism seems to be an equal opportunity attitude; popular on both the Right and Left. It's like the Tom Lehrer song National Brotherhood Week. I'm not sure that the attitude is on the rise, anyway - I suspect that it's more that the bigots are becoming bolder because they're no longer being slapped down. Bullies of all kinds have to be crushed periodically or they just get stronger and recruit more followers. It's like a bacterial infection.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:38 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
I think BB was saying that before the New-Age-ers became completely discredited in the eyes of the general public, their messages of love provided some balance.

The problem with this was, the New-Age-ers never really had all that much credibility in the eyes of the general public, so any decline would be insignificant. Much like slashing welfare to zero would not solve the federal deficit problem.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:35 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: rirepuxtheavenger
AOL: flesymfc
Kea wrote:
So now being an irrational ***hole is in fashion? Man, humanity's fickle. I'm going to start a new fad for Basic Human Decency.

Being an irrational ***hole has always been in fashion. The question is, what kind of irrational ***hole is currently popular?

LeoChopper wrote:
So...are you saying that all the hippies turned into anti-Semites? Or that relicated quasi-Taoism to the realm of foolishness was a bad move, because it brought anti-Semitism back? Or what? I can see there's been a general move from stupid love movements to stupid hate movements, but your cause-and-effect doesn't make any sense to me.

It's just that there are fewer followers of stupid love movements, which means that followers of stupid hate movements have more power.

drachefly wrote:
I think BB was saying that before the New-Age-ers became completely discredited in the eyes of the general public, their messages of love provided some balance.

The problem with this was, the New-Age-ers never really had all that much credibility in the eyes of the general public, so any decline would be insignificant. Much like slashing welfare to zero would not solve the federal deficit problem.

That was actually pretty close. It was more of a joke, though.

Don't forget that that's not all I said.

Bongo Bill wrote:
Granted, this time around the United States seems to be a net importer of hatred. It's hard to say in the first half of the twentieth century - hate production levels were high all over the world back then.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:12 am 
And I though the Hatred Re-export Business was doing so well...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:35 am 
not really - it's like trying to sell ice to Eskimos (wait a minute, there - that might work, now)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:12 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: rirepuxtheavenger
AOL: flesymfc
MrToad wrote:
not really - it's like trying to sell ice to Eskimos (wait a minute, there - that might work, now)

Nah, there's not many Eskimos left. I mean you could sell the ice, but you couldn't turn a profit unless you already lived among them.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts