Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:57 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Kea, Romney basically had none of those things; no Republican had them in that cycle. He was just the last funded white guy with a seat when the music stopped. None, as in not one, of the current Republicans running for president has the smallest hint of those things either; but why start now?

Actually, Trump is a bit of a threat to some of the plutocrats; there are a lot of very lucrative giveaways from which he does not benefit, and he'd probably be willing to throw the folks who do get them under the bus to get elected. But most will more than make up for it if what passes for his tax plan ever happens. Wall Street will hate him, but the rest will probably come to terms.

In other news, the born again hater snake oil salesman is edging into first now; Carson is leading in some polls. It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:06 am 
Weremensh wrote:
Romney basically had none of those things; no Republican had them in that cycle. He was just the last funded white guy with a seat when the music stopped. None, as in not one, of the current Republicans running for president has the smallest hint of those things either; but why start now?

Well I know that. But they thought, or at least made believe that Romney was a serious candidate, which is what mattered at the time. Nobody liked Romney. They just thought he was "electable", whatever that means. Trump doesn't even bother with it. He's a troll. He might be planning to take money away from billionaires who aren't like him and give it to billionaires who are like him (if he's even thought that far ahead), but the economic populism, like everything else about him, is just self-aggrandizing blather. He's not really running for president, he's building his brand.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:13 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Now this is amusing...
Faced with increasing scrutiny about whether Mr. Carson — who leads in some Republican presidential polls — was capable of leading American foreign policy, two of his top advisers said in interviews with The New York Times that he had struggled to master the intricacies of the Middle East and national security and that intense tutoring was having little effect. It goes on to quote his Middle East adviser, to the effect that no one has gotten an iota of intelligent information about the Middle East out of him.

A candidate that makes Dubya look qualified according to his own staff, and he sounds like presidential material to a rather large number of people right now. And with the holidays coming most folks will tune out politics (essentially hitting pause on the campaign) until next year. This may be interesting.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread about The Donald, currently in progress.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:15 am 
Upon analyzing, Trump is very presidential. He is just running on the wrong continent.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:52 am 
s.i.l. wrote:
Upon analyzing, Trump is very presidential. He is just running on the wrong continent.

Huh. I was kindof half expecting to hear about Thabo Mbeki's "potatoes and vegetables" AIDS policy instead of that Libyan "bananas and herbs" guy.

...it's good to see Trevor Noah's doing well. He's very, very good at being funny.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:08 pm 
OK, Trump is literally making my life miserable. Whenever I read the American news, my inner hack version of Steven Colbert tries to come up with a ridiculous, disgusting, vicious parody of what a Donald Trump supporter would say. Disabled man forced to crawl off a plane because the staff forgot his wheelchair? Attention-seeking social justice warrior. Black person harassed by cops for no good reason? Uppity woman deserves to be beaten with sticks for mouthing off to authority. Self-radicalized Muslim wannabe terrorists shoot up a place? BAN ALL THE MUSLIMS! Cancer victim? LOSER! Winners don't get cancer!

But no matter what crazy stuff I can come up with, Trump manages to be worse in real life. It is impossible to tell the difference between satire and real bigotry. Meanwhile I end up with all these nasty, angry thoughts swirling around my head and it just puts me in a bad mood all the time.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:49 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I understand what you're going through. All the stress from the current political climate may well put me in an early grave.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:01 am 
Besides the stress, I'm starting to worry that I'm turning into a real life angry douchebag. Pretending to think bigoted thoughts is not so different from actually thinking them, and I might be enjoying the rage and the smugness. Now whenever I hear about people in unfortunate situations, I reflexively snap "shut up you useless idiot", and halfway mean it.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:55 am 
Kea wrote:
Pretending to think bigoted thoughts is not so different from actually thinking them

You could always use this effect to your advantage. Try to figure out what the person you would like to be would think in those situations and pretend to think that instead...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:51 pm 
The 199 Most Donald Trump Things Donald Trump Has Ever Said
Quote:
42. “If I get my name in the paper, if people pay attention, that’s what matters.” ( Donald Trump: Master Apprentice, 2005)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:47 am 
Why Trump technically isn't a fascist:He doesn't want to abolish elections. Also he's not violent enough.

He's just a plain old bigoted populist jackass. But the point is, bigoted populist jackasses can do plenty of damage. Jackboots not necessary.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:24 am 
I think if you try to implement your program revolutionary by overthrowing the system, or evolutionary within the system is more a matter of tactics then ideology and it might very well change if your tactical situation changes.

So if modern rightwing movements in the West don't have militias, and therefore don't propose to use them for coups, does that change the ideology of their leaders and supporters?

I also somewhat disagree on the violence thing and modern rightwing populists, though i have not followed Trumps statements enough to know his stance. They are happy if violence is dealt to their "enemies". It just happens that currently their enemies are not other nations, that can be fought in wars, but they want the police or upright citizens to commit acts of violance against people they don't like. If they are in polite society, they come up with some sophistry, why some instances of violence are legally justified, but often enough you can see, that this is actually sophistry and not some consistent view how laws should be.

There is one thing, that fascists have, modern rightwing populists have and Trump has, and that is putting personal integrity over institutional checks and balances. "We need a leadership, that does what is right* and that must not be hindered by petty rules." I don't know a proper label for it, but since i consider that to be the most important cornerstone of fascism, i tend to call thoose who follow that creed fascists or fascidoid (does that term also exist in English). I don't know exactly how widely used that usage is, but i think it has much overlap with the common (as opposed to accademic) usage of fascism.

*determinated by gut feeling

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:22 am 
I think it is a matter of ideology rather than tactics; Trump isn't running in an election so that he can declare himself Dictator for Life if he wins. Fascists believe in the primacy of the state over the individual. That's why they think it's OK to abolish freedom of the press, or throw political opponents in jail, or force children to join Militaristic Evil Boy Scouts. Because no individual is more important than the needs of a powerful state. Trump is a callous racist who likes some individuals more than others, but he doesn't believe that individual rights are worthless.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:28 pm 
So Putin praised Trump. He's trolling us, right?

Right?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:47 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Kea wrote:
So Putin praised Trump. He's trolling us, right?

Right?

Here's to hoping that Trump takes it as a heel realization and drops out of the race.
*raises glass, drinks self into ditch*

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts