Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm 
Welp. The number of women who say Al Franken creeped on them is now up to 7, and the last one was a former Democratic congressional aide. And that to her, he allegedly said out loud that he felt entitled, as an entertainer, to kiss women.

I think he's screwed now, and he'll have nobody to blame but himself.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Yup. He's out.

Tuesday is Alabamageddon. Eyes peeled!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:14 pm 
If Roy Moore gets elected, I think the most likely scenario will be that the Republicans will sweep it all under the rug and say that Moore must be treated like he is innocent because the voters of Alabama have "exonerated" him. Any talk of an ethics inquiry will be quietly squelched, because if they investigate Moore, they're going to have to entertain questions about why they're letting Trump slide.

They'll act as though getting angry at sexual predators is just a thing that hysterical, hypocritical liberals do; why, serious people should focus on tax cuts. And their voters will take the cue. The knuckle dragging misogynists will get even louder and more obnoxious, while the self-identified mainstream Republicans will be given a fig leaf to ignore the issue.

So I really, really hope Moore loses. But I'm bracing for the worst case scenario.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:31 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Looks like we've been spared that. Barring shenanigans, a Democrat is heading to the Senate from Alabama. Open question of when, but the Republicans just lost a vote there.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:33 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Where do you see that? I've been googling the election results for the past hour and all the sites I see say they're still counting.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The AP called it about ten minutes ago; the NY Times has a really good real time vote counter running, and Jones is pretty much doomed to win by a point or so now.

Oh, and some of my neighbors are celebrating. Strange times.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:43 am 
Although it's not my circus, and they're not my monkeys, I am pleased by this result.

Hopefully there will now be a little bit less poop thrown around.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 am 
This is a good sign. As crazy as Moore was, he was a mirror image of Trump, running in the reddest state of the USA. I think the fever is starting to break.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:01 am 
I think most Alabamians would have been willing to vote for an ignorant, omni-bigoted nutjob, just not an ignorant, omni-bigoted, child-molesting nutjob. We can't count on Surprise Pervert revelations to save the Democrats in every election, and the upcoming Senate midterms are still going to be very tough for the Dems. They've only got 8 Republican seats to try to pick off, but they have to defend over 20 of their own, several of them in deep Trump country.

On the plus side, Steve Bannon is a laughing stock and all the Republicans are blaming him for losing a seat in freaking Alabama. I hope that anything he says in the future will be met with "Shut up, Steve. Nobody cares what you think." A girl can dream.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:37 am 
People refusing to vote for Moore was a big factor, yes, but you can't discount people turning out to vote for Jones --that was significant as well. Also momentum is a real thing. To your point about Bannon, I think this result emboldens or chastens all the right people.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:40 pm 
Well, I hope this gives the Democrats the motivation to run viable candidates and for their voters to show up in red states. In 2016, they didn't even try.

I hear the voter suppression in Alabama was still pretty bad. They mysteeeeeeriously closed all the DMVs in all the black neighbourhoods to make it harder for people get IDs, voters were erroneously disqualified for being inactive, and poll workers demanding that voters remember the county where they were born, which is a totally made up and completely bollocks requirement. They also had the police hanging around polling places to check people for outstanding warrants to scare people away. They really needed overwhelming turnout to override the shenanigans.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:51 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
A certain Senator from Tennessee switched from being against the tax bill to being for it. Shortly afterwards he was shocked, shocked when it was pointed out to him that someone in the conference committee had inserted a tax break into the bill worth $1.2 million a year to that same Senator from Tennessee. Mind you, it's worth a great deal more to the schmuck in the White House; but one doubts anyone in Congress thinks that's a selling point.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:43 pm 
Here's something to depress everyone for the new year. A collection of reports and quotes from each one about how stark raving insane Trump supporters are, still backing him no matter what. Example:
Quote:
“If I lose this job,” she said, “I’ll sit home and die.”

Yet she said she might still vote for Trump in 2020. And that’s a refrain I heard over and over.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:09 pm 
Those voters will support Trump if it kills them, out of stubborness and pride. It's really simple. Liberals disdain them, therefore they must oppose liberals, never mind that Trump is a kleptocratic nincompoop.

The question is whether they will be motivated to go and actually cast ballots for him, which will in turn hinge on whether Trump can rile them up enough with some liberal scandal right before election day to outweigh his own unpopularity.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:28 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
At this point, I think the only hope of a reasonable recovery from Trump is his resignation plus Pence filling in the remainder of the next two terms.

If that doesn't happen I shudder to think what the country will look like in 2024.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts