Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:33 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
drachefly wrote:
Kea wrote:
Now Trump wants Herman Cain to be on the Federal Reserve and the Senate is probably gonna roll over and give it to him. I don't even want to know how the Fox News pundits are going to spin this one.

They didn't roll over this time!

No, the thought of how many hundreds of billions of dollars their paymasters would lose if dollar denominated debt tanked under a Trump Fed kept them in line.

In other news: I'm duly amused that Trump obstructed justice in ten different matters, but failed because the people he ordered to commit these crimes on his behalf refused. This has got to be the weakest president since the Civil War, if not since the Revolution.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:46 am 
So Mueller's finding is too amateurish to conspire with the Russians and too feckless to obstruct justice. I knew Donald Trump was stupid, but too stupid to successfully commit crimes is a new high. Or low.

Attempted obstruction of justice is still plenty criminal, but who knows what this congress will do about it. Still no sign of the Senate turning on him.

And Stephen Moore's still going to get onto the Fed. He's just as much of a shill as Herman Cain, only less flamboyant.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Well, it could be that he successfully obstructed justice by dangling pardons; Mueller said there wasn't enough proof that he collaborated with the Russians to prosecute, not that he didn't do it.

That said, Barr has refused to appear in front of a House committee (is in fact technically in contempt). Why? Seems to be because of the question he wouldn't answer for Senator Harris about investigating people for Trump. Now Harris, a successful prosecutor, would never ask unless she already knew the answer; so apparently citizen Barr abused his office to illegally investigate folks at his boss' direction. Naughty, naughty. And equally apparently, the last place he wants to be is in a room run by folks who are not party and accomplice to his crimes while under oath. This should be interesting.

Oh, and apparently Trump needs a new set of stooges for the Fed. A couple of minutes after Moore told Bloomburg that Trump was his biggest ally and that it was full steam ahead, Trump tweeted that Moore had withdrawn his application. I wonder how long it took Moore to discover that? Still, I'm sure he took it well.

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:28 am 
What I don't understand is how is Manafort handing Trump campaign polling data to a known Russian spy not enough evidence to convict him of conspiracy? OK, they can't prove what the Russians did with it (because Russians), but he still handed it over. Haven't people been nailed for espionage for less? It appears as if Mueller couldn't get some people to flip and gave up.

So Barr is an obvious Trump shill, and even worse, one who believed that presidents could do whatever they wanted before Trump ever showed up. He's probably one of those unitary executive people who thinks Nixon was hard done by. So how hard is Congress willing to push him for defying their subpoenas? It looks like Nancy Pelosi might let it slide. She'd rather focus on the election.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:43 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Later this week Paul Manafort is going to be transferred from his minimum security facility in Pennsylvania to Rikers Island, where he will sit in solitary for the duration of his trial in New York on fraud charges. No points for suspecting that by announcing this, New York is looking to convince Mr. Manafort to be cooperative on other matters pending for the New York DA's office.

In completely unrelated news, I've heard that it's a bit unclear whether or not a sitting president can be indicted for crimes in New York under New York State law.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:05 am 
Why am I not surprised that Pompeo and Bolton are starting a beef with Iran right now?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:49 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Trump seems to be losing interest in provoking a war with Iran; presumably it's polling badly.

Me, I'm wondering if anyone is going to field test a new slogan for the Trump campaign: Promises Made, Suckers Betrayed. It'd be the ultimate show of contempt for his base, and they'd probably love him for it.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:31 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
His trade war is actively destroying the livelihoods of entire swaths of his voter base and they're taking it in stride. They'll take anything he hands out regardless of how much it hurts them so long as a Democrat isn't in office. It's insanity.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:35 pm 
This is the very definition of tribal behaviour. Think about it - can you name any times that economic sanctions on a corrupt authoritarian regime has ever decreased public support for said regime? Try naming more than five. I bet you can't.

Now think of Trump as a tin-pot dictator with a cult of personality, a siege mentality, a state propaganda organ that has taught its consumers to distrust all other sources of information, and a fanbase with a deeply embedded sense of cultural persecution. This is what we're dealing with here.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:11 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Which must be why he looked so happy to be with Kim. Birds of a feather and all.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:12 pm 
Knowing Trump, he was probably impressed by reports that Kim had five of his diplomats executed for the collapse of talks with the Americans last time in Vietnam.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:19 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Quite possibly, though it's unlikely he had them shot with an anti-aircraft cannon. If Trump has any clue Kim did that to one of his relatives, he's probably asking why he can't do that. Heck, I'm sure he'd want to use one of the original AA guns from the British airfields we captured back in 1775 (an operation which had the advantage of complete surprise).

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:45 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The Mueller report in readable form. Since friend Mueller deliberately wrote it badly in order not to be unfair to the felon he couldn't indict, someone else did him the courtesy of rewriting it in a neat, readable form. With a few illustrations. It's worth a glance, especially if 400 plus pages of deliberately badly written legal prose isn't your thing but you still want to find out what was actually said.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:18 am 
Good grief. There are still what, 16 and a half months to go to the election, and there's no way we've hit peak racism yet.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:22 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I noticed someone making an interesting point recently: when Trump tried to put someone dangerously incompetent in the Fed, the GOP shot him down (largely through Moscow Mitch). Now he tried to put someone dangerously incompetent in charge of the US intelligence agencies, and again the GOP shot him down through the offices of dear old MM. When they care, the party stands up to Trump and generally gets him to back down. Which would tell newborn lambs and spring chickens everything they need to know about where the party stands on race baiting, since the rest of us have been quite clear on that since 1969 (or as much of the intervening years as we recall).

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts