Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:55 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Caffeine; it's called the Bundeswehr. Wehrmacht was a strictly Nazi era name. For what it's worth, I think only one service name carried forward; the Luftwaffe (which is neither overtly militarist nor particularly long; which rendered it unique in German military history up to that point).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:28 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
DolphinSteaks wrote:
why is anyone even mentioning ICBMs? north korea doesn't have ICBMs. their missile barely cleared japan; i really don't think california is in imminent danger.
Actually they have a deveolped a missile called the Taepodong-2 which is a retrofitted Russian Sub launched ICBM which has an effective range of at least 8000km, which is sufficient to hit most of alaska, hawaii, and even possibly the Pacific northwest from points in mainland N.K.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:26 pm 
Weremensh wrote:
Caffeine; it's called the Bundeswehr. Wehrmacht was a strictly Nazi era name. For what it's worth, I think only one service name carried forward; the Luftwaffe (which is neither overtly militarist nor particularly long; which rendered it unique in German military history up to that point).

Oh, poo! German designations merely strive for accuracy - length is simply a desirable side effect; certainly not essential - none of the military branches had particularly long or elaborate names. As for militaristic, it literally translates as 'air-weapon'. seems pretty overt to me. but anyway, this is kind of wandering off-topic again - sorry!
*Ahem* well, even if NK may not be able to deliver a warhead via ICBM (and as Greg. has pointed out, they have at least potentially the ability), there's always shipping crates - it's been pointed out ad naus. that port protection has received about as much attention from this administration as "aid to lazy welfare bums". It might not be as easy for the NK security services to deliver bombs now as it was for them to kidnap civilians a couple decades ago, but I bet they could manage it if they really wanted to.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:21 pm 
Weremensh wrote:

Bah. I couldn't remember the name so I just copied MrToad. Blame him.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:20 am 
It's not my fault! They told me they fixed it! *um* I forgot they changed the name after the war.. Anyway "Bundeswehr" has such a wimpy, Weimar Republic sort of sound; I wish they'd change it back.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:05 am 
Caffeine - even if the South Koreans and the Japanese were extremely annoyed at the US military presence there, you'd have to have a pretty skewed cost-benefit analysis to consider a potential nuclear war on the Korean peninsula to be a lesser threat than the only two advanced democratic and currently friendly countries in the area becoming a bit too uppity during the next 10 or 20 years.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:51 am 
<blatant thread hijack>

Russia will sell nuclear fuel to Iran

Sorta thought it was kinda maybe related to this topic. A bit. No?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:02 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Eh; close enough for government work.

I was just reading an opinion piece from Russia about that deal; it seems they felt that the Iranians might well arrange to send some of the reactor grade Russian fuel through a centrifuge, and make bomb grade Uranium for less civilian uses. Bribery was mentioned.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:47 pm 
Well, as I see it, if the US is standing over Iran in a generally threatening manner, this would be Russia moving foward to stand beside Iran in a gesture of vague solidarity.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it could be Russia demonstrating resistance to the presumption, on the part of the US administration, that they can ride roughshod over anyone they want to.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:50 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
It could also be Putin going 'Oooh, new Cold War, hello Russian Superpower!' Who knows?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:04 pm 
Keen to prove that there's still some life in the old (red) dog yet, eh?

It certainly adds texture and dimension to the scenario.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:35 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
It's just as likely that Russia doesn't want to see the US turn their southern tier into an American zone.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts