Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:25 am 
Not everyone has a neat work/wage preogression through life.

The burgerflipper/intern/office assistant/manager/senior advisor path is not open to all. Many people's career path goes more like; burger flipper/cleaner/janitor/garbo/cleaner. If their health holds up.

People on minimum wage statistically have worse health.

People with chronic or recurrent health problems earn less over time.

People who have poor health, and intermittent work at minimum wage don't retire comfortably on their savings at the age of sixty-five.

In Australia, the old-age pension is means tested and our old people don't die a painful and undignified death on the streets. (They do it in nursing homes, but that's a different issue...)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:45 am 
Haven't we had this argument enough times? The whole "Work hard, eat your vegetables and say your prayers, and even the lowliest of humanity can become a millionaire!" argument for the so called American Dream ceased to be true around 1960. Kinda hard to pull yourself up by the boot straps when your boot straps have been sent overseas.

And if I hear one more right wing college student who lives with his parents talk about how lazy the poor are, and how they are a drain on his pocketbook and he can't buy spinners for the new Mercedes his parents bought him because of FICA, I swear I'll implode right hear in front of the computer.

What does this have to do with the state of the union anyway?

My favorite State of the Union moment was when El Generalisimo Bush warned us of the grave peril caused by frivilous ASBESTOS claims. Yeah, cause the poor giant corporations should be able to poison their workers without worrying about having to pay out too much. Can't those greedy cancer victims cough up their lungs in a shower of gory malignancy without trying to profit by it? I mean, Social Security is there to care for their orphans, they don't need juicy settlements that would otherwise go into the bonuses that allow the poor, downtrodden CEOs to buy the yachts that fill their otherwise empty, meaningless lives!

And the fact that the only major Asbestos lawsuits recently in the works are against a subsidiary of Haliburton, resulting from practices that were adopted while Cheney headed that benighted firm... It's like a family reunion in the Ozarks!

Is it just me, or are they not even trying to hide the looting anymore?

By the way, when do we get to go to Mars? I was promised MARS!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:41 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Big-O wrote:
And the fact that the only major Asbestos lawsuits recently in the works are against a subsidiary of Haliburton, resulting from practices that were adopted while Cheney headed that benighted firm...

Not quite. Cheney, as the head of Haliburton, acquired a firm with a large potential liability for asbestos cases against it; thus buying into those claims on behalf of his firm. Hey, he's a crony capitalist; no one ever honestly accused him of being a good businessman. So, in proper crony capitalist fashion, he got the President to mention asbestos; in hope that this can help sucker the marks into magically thinking that asbestos cases are bad.

Still and all, Halliburton never actually did the work with asbestos which engendered all of these liability claims; this one time, they're being blamed for something someone else did. The fact that they deliberately and legally accepted the blame merely makes them very stupid, or very sure that Cheney could somehow pervert the law in their favor again.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts