Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:25 pm 
Ok, this is a local topic. Sue me.

The costs for the inauguration are coming out of DC's Homeland Security Budget from what I've heard.

In the past costs have been paid for by the Federal Government.

And I've also heard (on a talk show of course) that the Republican Party is selling tickets to the Inauguration. I'm sure corporations are probably donating for many festivities as well.

So the Republican party makes money and DC is forced to pay out.

I suppose someone must think to the victor belongs the spoiled. er spoils

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:06 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
DC is being told to pick up 12 million in security costs out of Homeland Security funds; the GOP is getting the rest (and profiting mightily, of course; but then, who'd want to bribe the DC government). I half hope they simply refuse to schedule the people involved, keep the money, and go about their business.

Ok; Congress would get all pissy about it; but the DC natives can get out from under Congress' thumbs at any time. All they have to do is nullify the district (the way Arlington did long ago), and become the largest city in the state of Maryland.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:42 am 
AOL: Astaereth
You know, at this point, I can't even muster any real anger to go with the recurrent phrase "great injustice". Really. The Republican Party has done so much that I'm simply desensitized to the little stuff. At this point, less than a billion dollars attached to a crime doesn't even faze me. I look forward to a time when apathy will overwhelm me completely.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:35 am 
It's not just that DC's rather desperately short of money anyway, and has trouble paying for things like schools and road repair, etc., and so the only money they have for this is from the Homeland Security funds. It's also not just that the GOP once again shows that it's both greedy and cheap. It's mainly the sneering way the White House blew off the city when asked about the traditional reimbursement. This is going to be a hugely expensive coronation, the White House is demanding security out the wazoo to prevent the riff-raff from interfering or protesting, and DC is going to have to pay for it with the funds intended to protect the nation's capital city and monuments from attack throughout the year. So either the White House doesn't really expect any attack from Osama's boys (so what else is new), or the feds don't really care if DC gets bombed, or else they figure, "hey - we'll just ram a special appropriation through Congress since DC has no money to pay for Homeland Security this year, and The Country Can't Allow That Apalling State Of Affairs! It's only taxpayer's money, after all."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:49 pm 
The Republicans talked about celebrating a "peaceful transfer of power", and I'd be happy to spend money on that. If only it were a transfer from Bush to someone else, rather than from Bush to himself.
:riff:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:11 am 
AOL: JakRhee
LeoChopper wrote:
The Republicans talked about celebrating a "peaceful transfer of power", and I'd be happy to spend money on that. If only it were a transfer from Bush to someone else, rather than from Bush to himself.
:riff:

See...

I wouldn't. I'd be more willing to celebrate a trsansfer to someone other than Bush, but not at this disgusting level of flashy money-wasting. I mean all these parties and balls and all this crap is jsut a waste of time. Have the new President give his speech, take his oath and be done with it, dammit. Stop waisting time and money.

Of course since Republicans are the new Galactic Empire we cant expect them to do anything.. y'know.. reasonable and good for the country.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:55 pm 
It probably doesn't help that DC went for Kerry by something like 9 to 1. Why worry about pissing off the people who already hate you?

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts