Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: The fundamentalist vote
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:44 pm 
Just after the US election, there were loads of people on the boards blaming Christian fundamentalists for Bush's victory. I just read this in an article written before the election and thought some of you might find it interesting:

Quote:
And perhaps there's something else afoot. While I was driving in Iowa last Friday, my car radio somehow picked up a Christian Fundamentalist radio station in another swing state - Pennsylvannia. Between outbursts of creepy, over-emotive religious music, an angry southern-twanged fundamentalist radio jockey denounced Bush and Cheney for sending young Americans to die in a distant war when the president and vice-president had done everything they could to stay out of bloody mess war they both supported when they were young men: the Vietnam War.

Before the signal faded out, I heard the religious commentator praise Bush and Cheney for being anti-abortion but then criticize them for being callously indifferent to what happens to non-affluent people once they are actually born. There's a populist working- and lower- class content to fundamentalism that is not inherently 100 percent reactionary.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:30 am 
AOL: Calamormine
Meh, I'll put my 2 cents in as both a Christian, and a Conservative.

Fundamentalist Christians can be (not always are, just can be) freaking scary. Don't count on them to make sense, whatever side of the fence you sit on. I deal with crap from people in my church all the time for my views on things like what is defined as drinking, or cursing. Why should any word be deemed "bad"? And what's the problem with alcohol? Didn't Jesus drink his share of wine? The silliest things happen, and they make their views and deem it the holy truth. So I don't usually expect a standard response from any of them.

It is interesting though, because I have heard the argument about Fundamentalist Christians winning the war for Bush, and have often times wondered about the veracity of those statements. Then again, for all we know that radio program could have been the only one of its kind so that would nullify the point.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:26 pm 
Even as a blue stae lib, I've gotta say, most conservatives I've met, (even fundamentalists) are more varied in their opinions than the TV talking heads.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:43 pm 
You'll find that "conservative" has come to mean a pretty wide range of things - especially in the blue states, a right-wing position on so much as a single issue is enough to make a pariah.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:18 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
NobodyHome wrote:
You'll find that "conservative" has come to mean a pretty wide range of things - especially in the blue states, a right-wing position on so much as a single issue is enough to make a pariah.
Thats a little unfair, I think. Sure, if you start saying that all National parks need abolishing, or that we should invade muslim countries and forcibly convert them to Christianity, then you might find that the room temperature drops slightly, but saying you believe in fiscal responsibility or capitalism in a bar in Boston isn't going to start a bar fight, you know.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:51 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Heck, even saying you have serious moral issues against abortion wouldn't, and that's touchy enough an issue we're not allowed to debate it here (though we can MENTION it, right?)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:26 am 
There was this guy who walked into the room and proudly announced that he was a racist.... I couldn't even tell if he was serious. He was probably just the type who got a kick out of being a jerk.

I responded by announcing that I was here in America to steal his job.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts