Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:25 am 
This might be interesting to watch.

You may be aware that Barack Obama will be visiting South Africa soon. (Friday. Tomorrow. Really soon). He is, of course, bringing a fairly large dollop of security personnel along with him, going about checking routes and double-checking absolutely everything and there's going to be a massive great big battleship of our coast with a field hospital in it which seems to be a fallback position in case something happens.

As you can imagine, this is drawing a fair amount of media attention.

It's also drawing attention of another type; there's a coalition that's been formed of groups wanting to charge him with war crimes. They call themselves the "No-bama Coalition" - one of the most outspoken members of the coalition is the Muslim Lawyers' Association. Apart from laying charges, they plan to hold protest marches.

...I very much doubt that Obama is actually going to get arrested over this. I think the No-bama Coalition is more after publicity than anything else. However, if he were to, then I'd imagine his security people would want to go over the prison cell three weeks in advance, clear everyone else out of the cell block first, and handle all the security themselves. Given that they'd still answer to Obama, it would really make a mockery of the whole exercise

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:52 am 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
It is pretty hilarious to see a Muslim group using the same terminology as idiot Republicans (who insist Obama is secretly Muslim).

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:58 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
CCC wrote:
However, if he were to, then I'd imagine...

... that his security detail cleaning the joint out is not what would happen next. Detaining foreign heads of state has been an act of war for over 3000 years.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:22 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
Yeah, I'm thinking it would not go over too well. I may not be a fan of our current leader, but if he was arrested and imprisoned while on a diplomatic tour I'd be ready to go to war over that.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:40 pm 
AOL: TonySopranoRival
Location: Above a convinience store (backwaterplanet.com anyone?)
If that were going to happen to any president it would have been Bush.

And I think at this point in world history, no country is going to say 'Please invade me America'.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:59 am 
drachefly wrote:
Detaining foreign heads of state has been an act of war for over 3000 years.

Which is one very good reason why it's not going to happen. Our politicians have their problems, but they're not that stupid.

Well.

Most of them aren't that stupid, and the one that might be doesn't have any significant political power at the moment.

I just thought the image was funny.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts