Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:37 pm 
AOL: Calamormine
In the aftermath of the recent tragic events occurring across the seas, what do you think is our role/duty as A) Americans or B) fellow human beings, to help those people in desperate need right now? Should we be supporting them more monetarily, or spiritually?

Whatever your answers will be, and whatever debates may arise, I think it is essential to keep these people in our hearts and minds in their coming months of rebuilding.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:36 pm 
AOL: truedeathgoesmoo
Money. Send them money and food and water etc.
Spiritual aid is fine and all but it's gonna do diddly-squat for actually helping someone who's starving to death.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:20 pm 
Being an agnostic - I'd consider spiritual aid pretty useless and wasted - they need food, medecines and help in rebuilding - not prayers. Especially when you consider there were probably far more Buddhists, Muslims and Hindus killed than Christians.

However, as I brought up in another thread, I think any aid we give should be extra to the usual charitable aid people give. it's always been a worry of mine that in the rush to give money to emergency relief funds like this, people will neglect charitable contributions they would normally make.

I also think public money should be used to support aid. For those who think taxpayers money shouldn't be spent on people overseas, I'd say we should cut back on the millions we spent aiding in the privatisation of South Africa's water supply before we touch the 50 million we sent to South East Asia.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:47 pm 
Calamormine wrote:
Should we be supporting them more monetarily, or spiritually?

Why not both?
I'm a bit curious at the implication. Does an increase in monetary support require a decrease in spiritual support, or vice versa?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:54 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Jarne wrote:
Money. Send them money and food and water etc.

Food and water is a very bad idea unless you can send it there yourself. It costs a relief agency more to ship it than it would to buy it on scene. The US government is sending water because it can deliver a ship with a filtration plant on it to the spot where it's needed; most individuals don't have such a ship handy.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:42 pm 
AOL: LibertyPancakes
Blackcat Moebius wrote:
Calamormine wrote:

Why not both?
I'm a bit curious at the implication. Does an increase in monetary support require a decrease in spiritual support, or vice versa?

Of Course! I thought it was fairly obvious that everyone who prays for those affected by this disaster simply used that as an excuse to donate less money. [/smartass]

On a slightly more serious note, I don't believe that spiritual aid should be denied to these people, simply that it shouldn't be required. I once volunteered at a PADS shelter where a woman made all of the hungry people attend a Bible class she set up before she began serving. I say, first deal with the body, then with the soul.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:54 pm 
AOL: Astaereth
Looking at it from the perspective of a believer, it would appear that God's already more than a little pissed at these people. Therefore, offering prayers and support probably isn't going to get Him on their side; and it could get him mad at you. And nobody wants that.

Just a thought.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:58 pm 
huh... here i thought techtonic plates and fluid dynamics were to blame.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:03 pm 
AOL: LibertyPancakes
Of course not! Everyone knows that natural disasters occur because the Great Almightyy has declared the people in those areas unworthy of life for commiting heinous acts of heathenism.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:14 pm 
AOL: JakRhee
Malice wrote:
it would appear that God's already more than a little pissed at these people. Therefore, offering prayers and support probably isn't going to get Him on their side; and it could get him mad at you. And nobody wants that.

Just a thought.

IM going to assume you're joking. Otherwise ... welll... that statement would scare me.

In all seriousness, we definatly should be pouring public money into the releif. Thats a much better use for the money than, say, a certain military operation. These are peopel that truly need our help.

As for spiritual help..as a nonbeleiver, I also see it as a wasted effort. To you beleivers, thos epeopel need food, water, homes, and medical attention? Is prayer goign to make ANY of those things magically appear? No? Then whats the point?

If I was a beleiver, I must say.. I'd be right terrified about now. I mean.. four named hurricanes pummel Florida, this tsunami, and the Red Sox winning the World Series? Apocalypse anyone?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:15 pm 
steamboat, your sarcasm is showing.

im not sure if we are obligated to help... i think it'd be nice, but i wouldnt think less of a person for not sending money. Thing is, they need money now, but, in places like thailand, they depend on tourism... their economy is going to really crash, and they'll need money later too.
and there are always Individuals who need help. one could say that keeping any money for yourself is wrong... so i am reluctant to say that not giving it away is.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:42 pm 
AOL: Astaereth
I was joking before. As a non-believer, I would much rather someone give me money in a situation like this than to talk to an invisible man in the sky on my behalf.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:36 am 
AOL: Calamormine
Blackcat Moebius wrote:
Calamormine wrote:

Why not both?

I was not implying that one should replace the other, what I was saying was "should we be contributing more money, or (separately) should we (also) be contributing more spiritual aid? I apologize for any confusion, I never meant more of one or more of the other.

As for the money, I think that more should be contributed than already is. That's part of the reason I linked to a donation rather than an article about donations. If you think we aren't giving enough, then pry your wallet out of your pocket and click the link (no guilt trip intended.)

As for the spiritual aspect, first of all I purposely found an article that referenced multiple faiths. I know full well that Christians were not in the majority of those killed, and the word "prayer" is not the sole property of the Christian church.

My opinion is that these people need our support in both areas. You may disagree with the spiritual beliefs of others, but it doesn't stop the moral support from being a help. Some (like myself) believe that there is a God in heaven, and that prayers are not made to some invisible creature out in space somewhere. I'm not trying to preach, but my opinion is that spiritual support is neccisary from those willing to give it.

Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:26 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
It's actually morbidly funny watching the governments of the world scramble to increase their donations and avoid the label of miserly. The US government just pledged 350 million (up from, what, 25 million). And be shamed by the donations of individuals, organisations and companies.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:49 pm 
AOL: JakRhee
Calamormine wrote:
My opinion is that these people need our support in both areas. You may disagree with the spiritual beliefs of others, but it doesn't stop the moral support from being a help. Some (like myself) believe that there is a God in heaven, and that prayers are not made to some invisible creature out in space somewhere. I'm not trying to preach, but my opinion is that spiritual support is neccisary from those willing to give it.

I do respect that opinion, but afterall this is PPOP.. so I must inquire...

What good does the prayer do? Maybe this is my inability to comprehend Gopd and all.. but I cant see how it helps. Like Malice's joke, if I were to put myself in the shoes of someone who had all that GOd faith that I dont, I'd think this whole tsunami was well within his sphere of influence.

So why would it happen? Yes I know its the whole 'Why do bad thigns happen to good people?' debate, but this, I would think, is well beyond the argument of the whole Free Will thing. THis wasnt some other person wioth FW hitting someone with his care. This was a monumental force of Nature.

So... did God 'cause' this tsunami? If so, why and what good would prayer do to get him to heal pain he set out to cause?

If God didnt cause it, then why didnt he prevent it if h really could do anything?

If God is, as some Medeival Philosophers claimed just some Unmoved Mover who just started stuff off and doesnt interact anymore, then whats the point of prayer?

What good... honestly... can praying to God do at this point?

Fiorgive me if thats all rather blasphemous, but Im honestly curious. I dont understand and perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts