Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:18 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I doubt Jorodryn was saying he assumed all famous people are gay. On a related note, I was kinda surprised when I found out Johnny Depp was straight.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 am 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: nightflyer87
Kajin wrote:
On a related note, I was kinda surprised when I found out Johnny Depp was straight.

Not surprised, but very, very happy about that.

Actors and retired athletes are the ones we expect to find out about. Musicians are in the "meh" category most of the time unless they're male with a massive following of rabid teen and preteen girls who suddenly turn suicidal at the loss of their "beloved." Active athletes aren't much of a surprise to me since a lot of the more masculine sports scream homoerotica in some fashion be it the skin tight pants and grabbing each other's asses or rolling around grappling with each other while drenched in sweat. Think about it. Is it really such a surprise that one of those guys turns out to enjoy the touch of another man? I doubt he's the only one, but he is the first to take the plunge and tell us.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:26 am 
Hello, giggles. You just gave me the vapors with that discription. I may have to sit down for a moment. *fans self*

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 am 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
No I do not assume all famous people are gay. It just doesn't surprise me when someone proclaims it.

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:33 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I never said you assumed all famous people are gay. That was never my point.

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:10 am 
AOL: nightflyer87
weatherwax wrote:
Hello, giggles. You just gave me the vapors with that discription. I may have to sit down for a moment. *fans self*

And now you see why I watch sports more often than not. Sure I enjoy the game, but the interaction is more entertaining sometimes. LOL

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:02 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Steave wrote:
I never said you assumed all famous people are gay. That was never my point.

Sorry, my bad. From the way you worded your post, it sounded to me you were insinuating that, when clearly it is not the case.

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:49 pm 
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
Steave wrote:
You assume famous people are gay? People who you have no personal interaction with? Clearly on some level their sexuality is a 'deal' for you or else you wouldn't care one way or the other and have made no such assumptions.

My deal isn't with them being gay or not. It is with the big hoopla about coming out. Even when a long time friend told me he was gay, my attitude was like "so?". I realize I am in the minority, but I don't see a need to make a big celebration or news story out of it. So the dude likes other dudes. That's his business, not mine. For the most part, being gay is a social norm now.

As far as my comment about the hetero thing, the point I was trying to make is that someone coming out happens so often anymore that it's not a huge surprise when it happens. It was supposed to be more humorous than it came across.

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:36 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Jorodryn wrote:
For the most part, being gay is a social norm now.
In some places, possibly a lot of places, being gay is far from a social norm.

I personally am of a like mind when celebs come out. Unless there is a chance I might be able to date them, I don't find it interesting.

I do however still see the need for role models to stand up and talk for the sake of a minority.

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:42 pm 
Jorodryn wrote:
My deal isn't with them being gay or not. It is with the big hoopla about coming out. Even when a long time friend told me he was gay, my attitude was like "so?". I realize I am in the minority, but I don't see a need to make a big celebration or news story out of it. So the dude likes other dudes. That's his business, not mine. For the most part, being gay is a social norm now.

Our society is in a transitional state right now, and a lot depends on context. There are places and there are professions where being gay is entirely accepted, and places and professions where the opposite is true.

A month or so ago, there were two headlines the same week in local papers. One was about a small-town mayor who resigned after getting flack over her homophobic taunts of an openly gay police officer on her town's force. The other was about a teacher fired from a Catholic school after sixteen years of service because her mother's obituary mentioned that she (the teacher) had a long time partner of the same gender. So whether or not revealing your sexuality is a big deal depends on where and who you are.

In professional sports, one of the most homophobic of all professions, the fact that it's still a big deal is pretty much proven by the fact that there's only one out gay athlete in all of the major American sports.

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 pm 
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nbc-yahoo ... yahoo.html

Barkely's comments here pretty much sum it up.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts