Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Faith III Complexity
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 pm 
waffle wrote:
Please enumerate the jumps.

A brief note: I did some research before posting to see if I could find any direct evidence in the fossil record to support this mechanism. I was not able to obtain that --and the types of articles I did find made me far more sympathetic to your fears about the way arguments of this sort can be misused!

With that said, here's what I think Dawkins is not accounting for: As I read his interpretation of Darwin, a shape like the fern would have to emerge gradually, over the course of a long period of time, as a series of small incremental phenotypal changes that would build out each individual frond and subfrond.

But once we know about the fractal mechanism, we might instead expect that one small change to the DNA could produce the entire fern shape, since the subfronds and sub-subfronds are all defined by the same basic generator. Another small change could produce a radically different overall shape with the same branching fractal structure.

So we would thus expect that even if the genotype displays tiny incremental, gradual change, the phenotype might still change in large jumps. It's that kind of phenotypal jump that I think poses a problem for Dawkins because it suggests that evolution didn't "climb Mount Improbable" alone, but with a substantial assist.

Again, this is only a problem for Dawkins solely because of the philosophical mileage he gets out of the idea that steady gradual evolution is the universe's only important creative process. If he abandons that contention, then this ceases to be a problem for him.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:06 am 
kitoba wrote:
With that said, here's what I think Dawkins is not accounting for: As I read his interpretation of Darwin, a shape like the fern would have to emerge gradually, over the course of a long period of time, as a series of small incremental phenotypal changes that would build out each individual frond and subfrond.

I expect you will find that's what happened. A fern isn't actually a fractal like your image; the leaflets aren't actually smaller versions of the leaves, they are solid objects with a great deal of structure to them. On the other hand, nobody would expect evolution to build a tree by adding one branch after another. It's obvious they are made of repeating parts, and since the genetic code is identical in every cell, the harder question is how mutations could apply to some parts differently than others.

I know Dawkins talks about that a little in The Ancestor's Tale - how animals primitively have a series of identical segments, and hox genes provide the tools necessary to turn them into ones with differentiated functions. As such, I can't imagine why he would be surprised to find mutations could have effects repeated on every segment, and the same applies to leaves, leaflets, and branches. Those effects shouldn't be too big, though, or the chances of it still being viable are going to be really low.

kitoba wrote:
I was indicating that I think you and I have reached that point. i.e., you do understand what I mean when I say that mathematical complexity is a significant contributor to biological complexity, you just don't agree, you do understand what I mean when I say that fractals have the appearance of design, you just don't agree that they do. We have different commitments in regards to what qualifies as "significant" and what is meant by "appearance." It's hard to say there is an objective way to call one of us right and one of us wrong.

That's all right so far as it goes, but I'm not sure we have because it doesn't feel like you've appreciated what I've been saying. Part of that is even subjective calls like significance should be informed by what we know, and it seems like yours are from lots of love for chaos theory but almost no familiarity with the rest of biology. Even more, though, is that as caffeine says you genuinely keep confusing concepts like "complex design" as Dawkins and other use it, and so your arguments mostly don't concern his. That's not just seeing things a different way to me.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:50 am 
LeoChopper wrote:
That's all right so far as it goes, but I'm not sure we have because it doesn't feel like you've appreciated what I've been saying.

I'm sorry you didn't feel I appreciated what you said. I thought you had some of the strongest points against my argument, and I tried to acknowledge that. I explicitly conceded a number of your points. I'm not sure what else it would take.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:55 am 
Sorry, kitoba, I should have said something like "all that I've been saying". I didn't mean to imply you haven't been responsive, and possibly you've been even more so than it seems at first glance, since it's been hard for me to notice acknowledgments like in this post. But again, I don't think we're at a full understanding because there are some things you're just not touching, most importantly caffeine's point that "complex design" is a term used by people like Dawkins to refer to things that show structure with teleology or teleonomy rather than any type of detail.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:28 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Kitoba wrote:
Objection #3 - Drache or CCC might point out that this account merely describes two naturalistic processes working together rather than just one --it doesn't change the overall progression from supernatural explanations towards naturalistic explanations for the features of existence. However, while this might be an appropriate objection for a generic atheist, it isn't available to Dawkins because of his philosophical reliance on the uniqueness of evolution as a creative principle, an assumption that he leans heavily upon in his "meme" theory of psychology and his multiverse theory of the origins of the universe.

As a creative force? Evolution is the thing doing the creating there.

Imagine a space, where every point in the space corresponds to a viable organism, and they're arranged in a high-dimensional fashion so that evolution's explorations are comparatively local. Now consider a bunch of blobs containing all living things.

Evolution is the engine and the driver that spreads these blobs through this space. The mathematics of complexity just makes the terrain they're traversing more interesting.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:15 pm 
LeoChopper wrote:
"complex design" is a term used by people like Dawkins to refer to things that show structure with teleology or teleonomy rather than any type of detail.

OK, here's the full argument on the concept of design:

1. How do you know a structure shows teleology --purpose or design? A generic theist --or me, if you prefer --would say that all things have teleology. In fact, that's the chief reason the "Argument From Design" as rendered by Dawkins or Paley isn't a good argument from a theological perspective. The Bible doesn't just say God created life, it says God created all things. From a theological perspective there's no reason to think only living things serve a purpose, all things serve a purpose, we just don't always know what that purpose is. So if Dawkins wants to open a conversation with a theist, he needs to first delineate what he means by design in such a way that a theist can't just reply "yes, all things have that."

This is how we get from "design" to "appearance of design". Appearance is empirical, there is something to measure, so it offers a putatively neutral way to resolve the "yes it does" "no it doesn't" argument over possessing teleology.

2. However Dawkins cannot simply say at the start that "things that appear to display design are things created either by evolution or by human beings," because that assumes his conclusion. He needs to instead give a definition of the appearance of design that
a) presents as having natural boundaries, ie. a definition not custom gerrymandered to suit certain ends
b) doesn't immediate reduce to his conclusion

3. In "Blind Watchmaker" Dawkins tackles the problem with the following hallmarks of appearance of design:

a) heterogeneity - the complex object cannot just be an undifferentiated mass
b) statistical improbability --the complex object must be extremely unlikely to be created by chance
c) proficient, that is to say possessing an ability "highly unlikely to have been acquired by random chance alone".

As it stands, the Mandelbrot Set clearly meets a and b. Unlike simpler fractals, it is entirely heterogeneous. It is statistically improbable that a randomly generated shape would be the Mandelbrot (perhaps even impossible, since the Mandelbrot is infinitely detailed). It also arguably meets c, since it is proficient at delineating the period of points in successive iterations of the generating equation, a quality highly unlikely to arise by chance. (I would personally also include the Set's aesthetic beauty as an "unlikely proficiency," but that's a harder sell due to the difficulty of pinning down the concept of beauty).

Whether or not this represents a true counterexample to Dawkins' attempt to confine "appearance of design" to the realm of living creatures (and the things they create) depends entirely on whether you view the Mandelbrot as something we built or as something that we discovered.

(By the way, thank you for pushing me on this point. I think this is a much stronger, more clear and more succinct representation of my core argument than the one I started with)

Drachefly wrote:
The mathematics of complexity just makes the terrain they're traversing more interesting.

If you drive on the moon, it's a dead environment. If you drive on the earth, the terrain is much more interesting. The theological question we're exploring is whether evolution is exploring an enriched terrain, and if so, why?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:36 pm 
kitoba wrote:
Whether or not this represents a true counterexample to Dawkins' attempt to confine "appearance of design" to the realm of living creatures (and the things they create) depends entirely on whether you view the Mandelbrot as something we built or as something that we discovered.

Well, you already know how I feel about the Mandelbrot set, and how far short it falls in such respects, discovered or not. But this does address the concern about definition, if we really can drop apparent purpose so fast. It seems odd to do so, though.

I mean, I understand entirely that most theists presume everything has a purpose in the end. But again, that's a supposition of the sort Dawkin's argument is not meant to work with, because it's about where simple rules are enough explanation on their own. And I would hope you can see that there is a substantial difference between purpose in, say, a phosphofructokinase and a weather pattern. Let me spell out where I think it is.

Theoretically the hexagon on Saturn could be for something, but it's definitely not apparent. Winds on earth might be easier to invent purposes for. Even here, though, a meteorologist can get by just fine without them. If you want to understand the structure of weather patterns, you have to understand the physics that generate them, and some math about how such rules work, and then you're done. Teleology is a separate philosophical question.

The case is the opposite for something like a calculator or an enzyme. The purpose is the most apparent thing about them, which is to say, both structures are actually much easier to describe in terms of it than how they are actually put together. In fact they're both arbitrary combinations of components put together in an arbitrary way, and the only real way to explain them is what they do. This is so different from the above I would expect anyone to recognize them as having at least a different kind of relationship with their function.

It's odd that there isn't anything like this in the hallmarks you quote. I am guessing it's because in practice, it ends up equivalent to having the exceptionally high levels of information that also characterize these objects, what we've already discussed. But I think for instance it would definitely confirm the Mandelbrot set isn't an example. Does he really not offer the usual definition of design as concerning apparent purpose elsewhere?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:47 pm 
kitoba wrote:
Drachefly wrote:
The mathematics of complexity just makes the terrain they're traversing more interesting.

If you drive on the moon, it's a dead environment. If you drive on the earth, the terrain is much more interesting. The theological question we're exploring is whether evolution is exploring an enriched terrain, and if so, why?

If the universe is both {regular enough and has enough moving parts} that the notion of it containing life isn't farcical, then mathematical complexity is available. So no, it's not especially enriched above any other viable world.

Above non-viable worlds, well, we'd need a distribution over hypothetical worlds to see how it stacks up. Got one?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:33 am 
LeoChopper wrote:
The case is the opposite for something like a calculator or an enzyme. The purpose is the most apparent thing about them, which is to say, both structures are actually much easier to describe in terms of it than how they are actually put together. In fact they're both arbitrary combinations of components put together in an arbitrary way, and the only real way to explain them is what they do. This is so different from the above I would expect anyone to recognize them as having at least a different kind of relationship with their function.

It's odd that there isn't anything like this in the hallmarks you quote. I am guessing it's because in practice, it ends up equivalent to having the exceptionally high levels of information that also characterize these objects, what we've already discussed. But I think for instance it would definitely confirm the Mandelbrot set isn't an example. Does he really not offer the usual definition of design as concerning apparent purpose elsewhere?

He definitely does offer that definition, but he correctly realizes that it isn't neutral enough to stand on its own.

Let's look at your example of the calculator. "Calculator" as a category is only meaningful in light of already knowing the purpose of a calculator --that's what lets us see that an abacus and a TI-82 are variations on a theme. It's possible that the hexagon on Saturn and the Great Spot on Jupiter could both be examples of some analogous category most easily defined with reference to its function, but that we don't know what that function is.

So Dawkins is forced to offer the hallmarks as empirical ways of discerning design assuming no comprehensive foreknowledge of what the purpose of something is. In essence, what the hallmarks say is if an object is really good at doing something, and it defies probability that it would be randomly good at doing that thing, then we can categorize it as likely designed to do that thing. It's a very sensible definition, but it can lead to some unexpected results.

Drachefly wrote:
If the universe is both {regular enough and has enough moving parts} that the notion of it containing life isn't farcical, then mathematical complexity is available. So no, it's not especially enriched above any other viable world.

Above non-viable worlds, well, we'd need a distribution over hypothetical worlds to see how it stacks up. Got one?

It begs the original question to limit the consideration to viable worlds. Yet if this is an appeal to the anthropic principle, it would only ease the situation if we actually knew there was a range of universes and furthermore that the availability of mathematical complexity varied over that range. Otherwise we've only sharpened the mystery rather than reduced it.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:06 am 
kitoba wrote:
Let's look at your example of the calculator. "Calculator" as a category is only meaningful in light of already knowing the purpose of a calculator --that's what lets us see that an abacus and a TI-82 are variations on a theme. It's possible that the hexagon on Saturn and the Great Spot on Jupiter could both be examples of some analogous category most easily defined with reference to its function, but that we don't know what that function is.

That's really speculative but I guess a fair argument. I mean, I do think the two are genuinely different in the sense I gave, whether a function is much more or much less explanatory than the generation. But I suppose that's ultimately because the one can readily be explained by simple rules and the other can't, which means it isn't actually a separate question from the one we discussed like I thought.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:14 pm 
kitoba wrote:
Drachefly wrote:

It begs the original question to limit the consideration to viable worlds. Yet if this is an appeal to the anthropic principle, it would only ease the situation if we actually knew there was a range of universes and furthermore that the availability of mathematical complexity varied over that range. Otherwise we've only sharpened the mystery rather than reduced it.

It's not question-begging since I'm explicitly addressing both prongs.

The point is, basically, the conditions on mathematical complexity being possible are much much weaker than life being possible. It's not like you can be almost there on life being viable but mathematical complexity is the one thing you're missing.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:20 pm 
drachefly wrote:
The point is, basically, the conditions on mathematical complexity being possible are much much weaker than life being possible. It's not like you can be almost there on life being viable but mathematical complexity is the one thing you're missing.

True, but you could arguably be almost there on an explanation of life being viable, but mathematical complexity is the one thing you're missing.

To use your metaphor of the grid, Dawkins' claim is that there's nothing special about the grid, you're just autofilling it with a range of possibilities, and that the evolutionary process of expanding throughout the grid can get you everywhere you want to go (i.e. to every actual living or extinct species) without any special interventions, and in the specified amount of time.

If the grid isn't uniform, however, if it has special properties that play a shaping role in what terrain is actually reached and how fast, then that represents a consequential change to the explanation of the origins of the characteristics of life, even if evolution remains the immediate driver.

If you want to bring this back to an "Intelligent Designer" argument, then you argue that God designed the grid. But you don't have to take that approach in order to yield consequential differences with Dawkins' account. For instance, you could describe the "punctuated equilibrium" theory --that waffle likes, but Dawkins loathes --as a conceptualization under which the grid itself evolves over time, with different areas of terrain opening and closing in response to events such as mass extinctions.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 pm 
waffle wrote:
kitoba wrote:
But math doesn't unambiguously go in either category. Do we create math, or just discover it? Are mathematical entities just mental constructs, or do they have some sort of free-standing reality? To me it seems that the expansion of mathematical knowledge is much more like exploring a continent than it is like building a house. We didn't decide that pi would be irrational, we discovered that fact. Any given graph of the Mandelbrot is a purely human construction (aided by computer) but the shape itself is anything but made to order.

I'm going to regret getting into this again, but kitoba, I think, is right. I've heard a convincing variant of this argument from Roger Penrose in The Road to Reality, among others. Consider something as esoteric as the rules for cross multiplying vectors. If one multiplies vector A by vector B, the result, vector C, is orthogonal to both with a length equal to the area described by the parallelogram created by displacing vector A to the edge of vector B and displacing vector B to the edge of vector A. When one first comes across the rules, they seem somewhat arbitrary and counterintuitive. How can multiplication result in a vector orthogonal to the original plane?

But one can cross multiply physically with a spun up bicycle wheel and a barstool. Take the spinning bicycle wheel and twist it through 90 degrees and one will start rotating on the stool. Twist the wheel back and one stops.

I can go through an entire list of mathematical oddities and point out real world physical analogs, no matter how oddball the math. Even complex numbers pop up with disturbing frequency. The eigenvector representing the solution to a quantum mechanical problem is an imaginary quantity. One must multiply the wavefunction by its complex conjugate to compute the real probability distribution of the resulting waveform. Thus, there is a physical reality to both imaginary numbers and complex conjugates.

What happens to mathematical oddities, that some mathematican comes up with? If they are usefull in a mathematical model somewhere, they get widely (at least among scientists) known. If they make good examples or counterexamples, they get used in teaching mathematics, but are seldom mentioned elsewhere. They are well preserved for the time, when a mathematical model gets needed, that has thoose properties. If they have have no use for the time being, they are in danger to fall into obscurity even among mathematicans. Or it has some aestethic or similiar property, like the mandelbrot, then it get's remembered for that.

So (admitedly without having checked the history of the cross product in depth) i assume, that the cross product is widely taught, because it has applications.
BTW does your example rely on Newton mechanics, which would mean that the physical multiplication is not actually the same as the mathematical one, only close enough, that the mathematical model is good enough, that you are hard pressed to find an example, where it is not sufficient?

Complex numbers are a logical if counterintuitive derivate of real numbers. You use the +,* and ^ operators and their inverses you natrually get to complex numbers. So while i still can't grasp complex numbers intuitivly, i am not really suprised at them turning up in mathematical models. As in my experience, nature cares nothing for my intuition, but seems to have a tendendcy for simple and logical rules.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:59 pm 
Kitoba, I'm pretty sure Dawkins is aware of the way life takes advantage of mathematical complexity. He just sees it as a part of particular solutions, not as a part of the algorithm - and the questions he's trying to answer are about the algorithm.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm 
drachefly wrote:
Kitoba, I'm pretty sure Dawkins is aware of the way life takes advantage of mathematical complexity. He just sees it as a part of particular solutions, not as a part of the algorithm - and the questions he's trying to answer are about the algorithm.

If you have a paint-by-numbers painting, who is the artist, the person who applies the paint according to the algorithm, or the person who designed the picture and set the numbers? Is "follow the numbers and the picture emerges" a valid explanation of where the picture came from, or merely an effective description of the process that reveals the picture?

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts