Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:34 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
One of the more interesting concepts I've come across in sci-fi books are the alternate ways they've come up with handling marriage. I wonder if online there's actually a list of the possibilities people have come up with...

One I did like the concept of is having a 'short-term' marriage that only lasted a year, which, at the end of the year, could optionally be upped into a 'contractual' marriage that was effectively the same as a current marriage. If the couple chose not to continue the marriage instead, no one batted an eye.

I have a feeling that if something like this was actually used, there would be an increase in short-term marriage and a marked decrease in long-term marriage. I've lost track of how many marriages (including my sister's) lasted less than a year because one of the parties of the marriage (in my sister's case, her husband) was for one reason or another unready for marriage, but did it anyway.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:52 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
That's hardly science-fictional. It's a Beltaine tradition, and also possible in Islam.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts