Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:53 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Can we get back to the real purpose of the thread?

Rule 34 as applied to Polling Data!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:17 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
I'd read that. Get cracking, DL.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:45 am 
kitoba wrote:
Grillick wrote:
Not to mention the fact that upholding the law will energize the Republican base...

I've heard this argument, but I'm not sure it holds. If the President had somehow found a way to block it even being ruled upon by the Supreme Court, that would have been a real jolt to the conservative base, but the fact that it went through the legitimate channels and was upheld by a conservative-leaning court and conservative head Justice will take some of the wind out of the sails of the anti-Obamacare movement, at least IMO.

Considering the abuse Roberts is getting from his own side, I doubt it. Under the current mentality of the Republican party, any of them who stray from the path are pretty quickly thrown out as traitors to the cause.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:50 am 
The important thing would not be, what do the loud republicans think about it, but what do the swing voters think. Abuse towards Roberts might create a distance between swingers and hardcore republicans.

I don't know enough of Us public opinion to judge weather that is true in this case though.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:59 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
I wasn't grasping at straws so much as suggesting the next course of action that a challenger to the law would take. I still stand by my statement that I hope that they execute the law to its fullest extent. The quicker the better.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:59 pm 
I remember you said that. I'm indicating how I'd perceive such a challenge. I expect a great many other people would see it that way too.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:20 pm 
I finally got near my computer with more than just a few mins to do stuff! Yay! In case you're wondering where the heck I've been, we moved about 1100 km, bought a house that needed some work (there's some understatement) and have been running my yuccas off since. Did I mention a teething child, too?

I just had to get on to talk about this Supreme Court case. Honestly, I had figured on the SCOTUS bouncing the ACA along party lines, 5-4. I certainly never expected Roberts to be the flip flopper! According to people who know him well, though, apparently it's not horribly surprising. He's said in the past that he wants to let the legislatures set the laws and only have the SCOTUS clarify, rather than rewrite, laws.

I have no idea how that meshes with throwing out multiple election laws in Citizens United, but better late than never.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:24 pm 
AOL: x86EliGottlieb
baconbotsforever wrote:
I finally got near my computer with more than just a few mins to do stuff! Yay! In case you're wondering where the heck I've been, we moved about 1100 km, bought a house that needed some work (there's some understatement) and have been running my yuccas off since. Did I mention a teething child, too?

I just had to get on to talk about this Supreme Court case. Honestly, I had figured on the SCOTUS bouncing the ACA along party lines, 5-4. I certainly never expected Roberts to be the flip flopper! According to people who know him well, though, apparently it's not horribly surprising. He's said in the past that he wants to let the legislatures set the laws and only have the SCOTUS clarify, rather than rewrite, laws.

I have no idea how that meshes with throwing out multiple election laws in Citizens United, but better late than never.

I think Roberts had a Historical Legacy Moment, one of those times when a judge or politician looks at the law in front of him and says, "If I don't let this pass, everyone will remember me as That Guy Who Screwed Everyone Over."

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:39 pm 
I don't know. The cynic in me wonders if he ruled for the government to get five votes on his strong language regarding the Commerce Clause.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:09 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
No way.

He had five votes for that with Kennedy, Scalia, Thomas, and Alito. If that was his intention, he would have just ruled with them and struck down the law.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:10 am 
Crazed123 wrote:
I think Roberts had a Historical Legacy Moment, one of those times when a judge or politician looks at the law in front of him and says, "If I don't let this pass, everyone will remember me as That Guy Who Screwed Everyone Over."

But everyone was expecting Roberts to vote with the court conservatives. The blame for screwing everyone over would have fallen on Kennedy.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:32 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
Kea wrote:
Crazed123 wrote:

But everyone was expecting Roberts to vote with the court conservatives. The blame for screwing everyone over would have fallen on Kennedy.

And now it falls on Roberts

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:49 pm 
The point is, it's too early for a Historical Legacy to have formed, so on that measure, the complaints don't count.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts