Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:03 am 
Just found in my emails from elsewhere, I thought this might be relevant to the topic:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/29/polit ... e.html?8br

(excerpts)

List of Schiavo Donors Will Be Sold by Direct-Marketing Firm

WASHINGTON, March 28 - The parents of Terri Schiavo have authorized a conservative direct-mailing firm to sell a list of their financial supporters, making it likely that thousands of strangers moved by her plight will receive a steady stream of solicitations from anti-abortion and conservative groups.

Privacy experts said the sale of the list was legal and even predictable, if ghoulish.

"I think it's amusing," said Robert Gellman, a privacy and information policy consultant. "I think it's absolutely classic America. Everything is for sale in America, every type of personal information."

Executives of Response Unlimited declined to comment. Gary McCullough, director of the Christian Communication Network and a spokesman for Ms. Schiavo's parents, confirmed that Mr. Schindler had agreed to let Response Unlimited rent out the list as part of a deal for the firm to send an e-mail solicitation raising money on the family's behalf.
~~~~~~~

Did someone say 'Disgusting'?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:43 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
serves them right... dont' spam satan... SPAM RELIGIOUS WHACKOS!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:23 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Well, you know; ever since Jesus threw them out of the temple, those folks have been looking for a new niche. Looks like they remember their PT Barnum, too.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:29 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Location: Sunny, sunny Chicago ... wait, what? uh oh... (just moved to Chicago)
Rest in Peace, Terri Shiavo.

It is done, it is over, this one "very private woman"'s life and death will hopefully now recede into the realm of private mourning, where it should have been for the last fifteen years (because alive or dead, her situation was one to be mourned).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:26 pm 
She finally made it out of here, and I hope, has peace at last.

~~~~~~~~~

Now.

Who will the parents sue first?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:10 am 
DeLay wants the judges in the Schiavo case impeached. Christ, so much for checks and balances, eh?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:44 am 
DeLay has a bad case of "the McCarthys" - he's either going a bit over the edge, or he really thinks he has a significant amount of the US behind him (at least in dollars) and is untouchable. Or else he knows he's going down and wants to go out in a blaze.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:12 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Delay's just reverting to type. Typical Republican response, done in brainless Texan style; scream `liberal', commit sedition and incitement to riot, and hope the poop that voted for you will once again forget what they were talking about and go off to attack your strawman. In this case, if he's lucky, he can get them to commit treason and overthrow the institution of the judiciary for him.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:14 am 
I'm laughing about this one... (source)

Tom DeLay wrote:
"We will look at an arrogant, out-of-control, unaccountable judiciary that thumbed their nose at Congress and the president.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're talking about the same Florida Judiciary that effectively appointed George W. Bush as President in 2000, aren't we?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:51 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
kinkajou wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're talking about the same Florida Judiciary that effectively appointed George W. Bush as President in 2000, aren't we?

Not quite. The Florida Supreme Court had ruled in favor of the recount; it was the US Supreme Court that abused their powers to appoint Bush to be president. Of course, Delay is also threatening the Federal Judiciary; since they're the only branch of government left that can tell the GOP on the Hill to go pound sand (on the off chance they want to).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:46 am 
Brain Devouring Zombie Belly Girl
AOL: Mudd115
Location: Sluggy:com....evil belly ring sending people to the wrong place...
Hasn't DeLay heard of Seperation of Powers? Congress isn't supposed to be interfearing with court cases and they're definately not supposed to tell a judge how to rule in a case. If they succeed in impeaching the judges in this case then there are no checks and balances in our government what so ever. Which, to me, would be the most frightening thing I've found out about living in the US during it's current incarnation (and it's a long and growing list).

Last edited by Kristy on Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:47 am 
And, well, leaving aside that half of those out-of-control judges were appointed by Bush I and Regan.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts