Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:15 am 
Religious diversity is alive!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:04 am 
From the linked article:
"The question is, will evangelicals make a difference?" Mr. Haggard said. "And the answer is, the Senate thinks so. We do represent 30 million people, and we can mobilize them if we have to."

Let's hope they're right. I can't abide evangelical anything - diet, fashion, music, greenies, religion, Amway, but if 30 million American voters decide it's their holy obligation to vote for representatives who will preserve and restore the environment, what can I say except 'Hallelujiah!'

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:26 pm 
AOL: Astaereth
I agree with Omnot: I don't like evangelicals, but if their power can be used for the good of the environment, then I'm totally Jack's grin.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:40 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
There's no real chance they'll get anything like 30 million evangelicals to go for this. An awful lot of them are end-of-days death cultists (they think armegeddon is a good thing to be hastened when possible); so they see nothing wrong with looting the planet. It's not like we'll be needing it for long, after all.

Still, a few million on the side of the angels for once would be useful; it'll be a lot harder for the GOP to pull the usual `promise those idiots anything, then betray them behind closed doors' routine on this issue, what with the environmental movement standing ready to rat them out if they try.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:43 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Interestingly, they posit the question Bush is afraid to address:

"I don't think God is going to ask us how he created the earth, but he will ask us what we did with what he created."

Bush is not a steward of the creation he has been born again into. Rather, he is a selfish Pharasee.

Nuff Said.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:25 pm 
Well the Meek are the ones to get what's left of the Earth, and nobody who's anybody cares about them, so why not thoroughly trash the joint?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:39 pm 
Much of what we think of in this country as the conservative Christian agenda has little to do with the teachings of the Christian religion, which are pasifist and anti-wealthy.
We forget that, in the 19th century, evangelicals where cheif among the U.S. progressive reformers. It's a leagcy many on the left have been talking about reclaiming.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:44 pm 
That'd be interesting. The well-off entrenched, entitled right wing christian types vs barefoot communistic (in the 'sharing everything' sense, rather than the corrupt failed USSR version) christian preachers to the masses. Grass roots vs media owners. Who'd win?

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts