Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:16 pm 
It's at moments like these I recall The A-hole song (profanity warning)

The spoken section has the closet thing to relevance, here:
'Screaming, now, the ultimate ugly American)
You know what I'm going do? I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado convertable - hot pink with whaleskin hubcaps and all-leather interior and big brown baby seal eyes for the headlights. I'm gonna drive around in that baby at 115mph, getting one mile per gallon, sucking down Quarter Pounder cheeseburgers from McDonald's in the old-fashioned nonbiodegradable containers. When I'm done suckin' down those greaseball burgers, I'm gonna toss the Styrofoam container right out the side and there ain't a goddamned thing anybody can do about it. You know why? Because we got the bombs, that's why. Two words nuclear f-n weapons, okay? Russia, Czechslovakia, Romania - they can have all the democracy they want, have a big democracy cakewalk walk through the middle of Tianamen Square and it won't make a lick of difference because we've got the bombs, okay?!'

Ayuh. Sometimes I have to wonder if it's US national policy...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:34 pm 
Like, Bush is even being good about this, apperently, he's promised to fix things, but he can't do that because the senate voted against the reopen.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:48 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Bush lied. He promises a lot of stuff; but unless you see him busily lobbying and threatening Congress afterwards to try to get it done, then it was just another promise to string along a few suckers.

No, he never said boo to Congress about Canadian beef; at least, not about letting it in.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:24 am 
Weremensh wrote:
Bush lied. He promises a lot of stuff; but unless you see him busily lobbying and threatening Congress afterwards to try to get it done, then it was just another promise to string along a few suckers.

No, he never said boo to Congress about Canadian beef; at least, not about letting it in.

trueish, it depens how you take it, he could have been sincire, who knows.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:43 am 
Politicians are always saying stuff they don't mean just for the publicity and the popularity points. If they really want something, they just threaten to fire somebody. ;P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:40 pm 
caffeine wrote:
Can't the Canadian beef industry merely do the same thing back to the US this time?

Apparently, they're going to try.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:45 pm 
chances of it working?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:52 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
That kind of depends on whether Canada is willing to use force (trade war) on their behalf. If not, then they've got no chance at all; no matter what the arbitrator says. If so, then I'd guess their chances are fair to good.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:55 pm 
Weremensh wrote:
That kind of depends on whether Canada is willing to use force (trade war) on their behalf. If not, then they've got no chance at all; no matter what the arbitrator says. If so, then I'd guess their chances are fair to good.

Part of canada will say yes, teh rest will say no, we'll be peaceful about this.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:04 pm 
Canada can't win a trade war with the States. Fully a third of our GDP comes from exports to the US. A trade war would cripple our economy, and don't think that Bush isn't aware of that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:02 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Ah, but you don't have to cripple the US economy; just put Republican congressmen at risk of losing their jobs, and they'll fold. After all, the EU didn't beat us with all-out trade wars; they just targetted the industries and districts that have Republican representitives and senators in their pockets.

Now, I can't swear that this would work if there was something important at stake; but since it's just corruption and politics, it's really easy to make it a losing game for them to play.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:19 pm 
Montana is generally in favor of the ban. I think the mad cow thing is just the public excuse, not the real reason. There are many ranchers here who view Canadian imports as directly competing with them. They get downright militant about it. The ban shortens supplies and tends to drive up prices. This is actually good for the local economy in the short run. Consequently, the state government favors the ban to curry favor with the voters. However, as a predominantly red state, I will forgive you if you assume we don’t really know where our overall best interests lie.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts