Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:02 pm 
Ah. Excuse me. The original post sounded like it was saying the drunk sued the stadium, not the family of the injured girl.

So I'll change the question. Under which of the above circumstances is it acceptable for the injured party to sue the bar/liquor store?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:50 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
It really depends on how obviously drunk the driver was when sold the alcohol. The bar that sold drinks to the visible drunk is clearly liable for part of the damages the drunk did; the liquor store is completely immune.

The middle two are messy. My guess would be that the serial drinker would probably get the bar in trouble, unless there are a lot of witnessess that he was visibly sober (his blood alcohol level would be too high); while the woman probably would not unless she pounded the first drink or was visibly drunk when she ordered the second. That is, however, just a guess.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:45 pm 
The serial drinker seems a bit tricky. How is a bartender supposed to tell if someone's blood alcohol level is too high if they're otherwise upright and coherent? Make everybody take a breathalyser test before selling them a drink?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:18 pm 
Brain Devouring Zombie Belly Girl
AOL: Mudd115
Location: Sluggy:com....evil belly ring sending people to the wrong place...
I have to agree that the serial drink would be quite tricky. I knew a few people in college who seemed perfectly fine after 8 or so drinks to anyone who didn't know them well.

I really don't think the bar should get into trouble at all unless the guy was so drunk he was falling down or something. It's illegal for the drunk to drive no matter how he got the alcohol.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts