Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:03 pm 
Serious question, what do you think the Democrats' key mistakes were? What should they have done?

And now the Republican base is all riled up. They're going to show up to vote next month.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:42 pm 
Kea wrote:
Serious question, what do you think the Democrats' key mistakes were? What should they have done?

In essence, I think they framed a guilty man. I personally found Ford's testimony quite credible, particularly given how Kavanaugh responded to it. But the timing of when it was released and the Democratic theatrics around it didn't do Ford any favors.

In terms of the timing, the testimony on its own wasn't strong enough to stand, and the timing made a full investigation that much less likely.

Then, the theatrics: Dems were both apocalyptic and apoplectic around Kavanaugh PRE-accusations, so they had nowhere to go from there. They were transparently looking for any excuse to torpedo the nomination. It fed all too easily into the GOP counter-narrative of an innocent man martyred by political hacks.

Quote:
And now the Republican base is all riled up. They're going to show up to vote next month.

This. :kzk:

However, a month is an eternity in the Trump era... who knows what we'll all be thinking and feeling by then.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:13 am 
And given thankfullness is not a voting motivator, all the "We need to prevent the Democrats from blocking our candidate" and "NOW we have a chance to get in a supreme judge" is gone. Republicans have to combat a "We won, now we can go home" attitude now, i guess.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:02 am 
That's why the Republicans are out there stoking resentment. "Look at those psychotic Democrats! Those feminazi SJWs tried to ruin an innocent man's life over politics! If you don't vote them out they will persecute all men!"

Trump may be an idiot but he as a finely tuned instinct for taking advantage of wounded egos.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:21 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I don't know if it's quite that cut and dried. The lowlifes in his base are only likely to be really fired up by Trump's efforts to make the GOP over into the party of rape to the extent that they are men. The women already got to see their known career felon and sex criminal installed in the Supreme Court; there's not much else for them to be motivated by here.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:06 am 
I'm pretty sure I saw a poll saying that Republican-leaning women became more motivated to vote for Republicans due to the whole Kavanaugh debacle. They believe they're protecting their husbands and sons who are good people who would never do such a terrible thing but the world is full of mentally unstable ex-girlfriends who could ruin their husbands' and sons' lives (and by extension their own marriages and mortgages and retirement plans) in an instant.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:54 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
The polling I've seen has that, but it also has a dropping number of women identifying as Republican. If so, it's just the evaporative cooling of beliefs in action: as the less extreme escape, the remainder is more extreme.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:02 pm 
I've read that shrinkage in the Republican party may be overhyped. It's a couple of percentage points and might be a random fluctuation. We shall see what happens in November.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts