Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: Jessica Jones (Spoilers)
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:30 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
(Spoilers are okay in this thread, but I'm going to refrain from putting any in the OP)

So I just finished the first season. I HIGHLY recommend the show, especially if you're a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's not that big on cross over continuity, so I think it still works as a strong noirish stand alone show. It's quite a ride, and features a pretty awesome performance by David Tennant. Definitely not for kids though, it's quite violent and there's a lot of language.

Has anybody else seen it, or working through it?

edit: Forgot to mention, it's a Netflix original like Daredevil. People can discuss Daredevil too if they want, though I haven't seen it yet.

Last edited by Dodger77 on Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:21 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I've not seen it. Not even heard of it, really. I'll have to look into it.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:57 pm 
WLM: SolaraHanover
Yahoo Messenger: LadySolara
AOL: SolaraHanover
Location: Under my desk hiding from the rabid puffin dingoes who are breaking down my door.
I'm two episodes in, but now that all my regular TV shows are on their stupid mid-season hiatus (anyone else remember when that wasn't a thing?) I'll have more time to watch it. I've LOVED what I've seen so far, yes it's a bit dark/violent/racy, but good.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:06 am 
My wife's super into it. Someday in the unknowable future when I once again have, y'know, time I'll get caught up.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:47 am 
I have finished watching the series. I loved it. Not being familiar with the source material, I thought it worked really well as a psychological thriller that just so happened to have superpowers in it. Jessica was completely believable as a damaged, angry woman trying to claw her life back from an abusive psychopathic stalker, and Kilgrave was an excellent villain. I found it refreshing to have a bad guy in a superhero story whose motive wasn't power (why do they always want to take over the world?) or revenge (Iron Man snubbed me once, I must kill him!). He was just hell bent on extracting submission (which maybe he really believed was love) from the one person who ever defied him.

Overall, I liked it better than Daredevil, which was also great, but Daredevil isn't as interesting as a character. (I once heard someone describe him as budget Batman with Catholic guilt).

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:34 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Yeah I pretty much agree with Kea!

Spoilers wrote:
You know, I'm almost sad Kilgrave dies at the end because he is SUCH an effective villain that I'm disappointed that he won't show up anywhere else in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Of course it makes a lot of sense, he really cannot be put on trial unless he's gagged for the entire proceeding. Also I'm pretty sure he never loved Jessica. I feel he was just groping for another way to control Jessica by controlling every one around her since he could no longer do it himself. He couldn't stand not being able to control her.

I also hate that the old detective died. I *HATE the trope of the cop who's so close to retirment and always dies. It makes me really sad.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:35 am 
Kilgrave's a classic psychopath. They're incapable of empathy, and love and ownership are pretty much the same thing to them.

Poor Kilgrave's parents. I was disappointed that the vaccine they were developing turned out to be a red herring, but of course they never stood a chance. Also, what the hell was up with Officer Steroid Rage?

The other thing: I can never wrap my mind around why it's so difficult for the military to create a super soldier on purpose in the Marvel universe. Apart from Captain America, they always turn green and destroy the city, explode, or go on uncontrollable homicidal rampages. And yet the world is literally crawling with people who acquired superpowers by getting random dosages of hazardous chemicals dumped on them or surviving industrial accidents.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:25 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Speaking of, whatever happened to the spider the bit Peter Parker? The city should be crawling with them AND spider powered mutants by now.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:46 am 
I suppose we can only conclude that shortly after it bit Peter, it got trod on.

Anyway, one thing I really liked about the ending of Jessica Jones was...

how they reversed the trope of "you don't have to do this alone", in which the lone wolf hero learns the power of friendship and then of course the super allies team up and kick the bad guy's ass. Jessica did learn about friendship, but in the end she really did have to take out Kilgrave alone. Every potential ally either got killed, knocked out, or became more of a hindrance than a help.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:36 pm 
Most of the series was just OK for me, but the casting and writing for the villain Killgrave was just spot on.

Also, not the biggest fan of the casting for Jessica herself. Wasn't believing it from her, frankly. Luke Cage, though... exactly right. Ditto Steroid Cop and best buddy "Patsy".

I absolutely love the darker edge; hero or not, Jessica is nuanced and much more real than most superheroes we see portrayed.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat