Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:48 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: AxelFendersson
m0ngoos3 wrote:
studying: the OJ-314 version 19b (if anyone else knows what this is i'll be impressed)

Air traffic control system?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:53 pm 
wow that was quick, i expected everyone to only know the etvs these days,
i get to fix the OJ and sense my OJ has serial number of 002 i get to fix a wide range of problems, usaly with fairy dust and a swift kick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:58 pm 
AOL: alkthash
reading: Ray Bradbury's "Farenheit 451" and Terry Pratchett's "The Color of Magic". That and a psychology book of my mother's bookshelf.
[b]studying: The French Revolution(s), Advanced Algebra, German
listening to: [/b] Meh, I'm most likely the only person on these forums who doesn't have some music to constantly listen to. Now if radio stations didn't have annoying DJs and commercials, and if CDs were cheaper, and if there wasn't a no download policy in affect on the family computer, then maybe I would listen to some music.
watching: CSI(Las Vegas), The Simpsons
eating: Macaroni and Cheese
doing: Attempting to introduce the glory of tabletop RPGs to my school, wishing for a copy of KOTOR II and saving my money, training my dog to sneeze on command, and wasting my life away on sluggy.net.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:16 pm 
AOL: Astaereth
Reading: "Freaky Deaky", by Elmore Leonard (the "Get Shorty" & "Be Cool" guy); shortly after that it will be Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse 5" (for the first time, joy!); shortly before Freaky Deaky I finished "The Dark Tower" by Stephen King. I'm currently very bummed that DT is over and done with--it is the best book I have ever read, and I have read many. *sigh* Well, at least King isn't retiring.

Studying: Umm... studying? =>>= If I was studying, I'd be working on my English project (a paper about an essay by Chuck Palahniuk) or my History project (1 outline, 3 documents, and 1 thesis statement for 6 essay prompts), which are both due in a couple weeks. If was studying, I wouldn't be hanging out here.

Listening to: Earshot, Green Day, The Killers, Coldplay, "Mad World", other usual stuff. Earshot right this second, actually.

Watching: Tons of movies last weekend. I saw "Don't Look Now" (which was brilliant), "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" (which had incredible acting, but was, I felt, a little weak in the writing), "Sideways" (which was very good and very funny and very well written and acted, and my only (petty) complaint is that one of the main characters has no emotional change or arc whatsoever; he isn't even punished for his misdeeds), and "Session 9" (which rocked the CASBAH! It was set in this old decaying mental hospital and there are these five guys who come to clean it up and one of them goes crazy and kills the others and it's really creepy and man, it made me want to write a ghost story).

Then today I watched "Singin' In the Rain" in Film Club. It was my first viewing, and I was impressed, especially with the acting (Gene Kelly's hilarious buddy has gotten very little fame, which is strange because he rocked) and I also liked the meta-ness of it (it was a musical about a bunch of people making a musical and then those people made the musical that this movie was; the last bit was like in Roald Dahl's excellent book James and the Giant Peach where at the end you find out that what you had been reading was James's narrative of his own adventures). My only complaint was that a few of the dance sequences went on a little too long--they sang and the music played and they danced, and then they ran out of lyrics and the music got repetitive, but they would dance on for another five minutes. Annoying. My other complaint is that they didn't do anything more than that cool gangster guy with the scar and the coin fetish.

This morning I finally got back my American Beauty DVD, which I had loaned to a friend, and which I will watch soon and then send back to Netflix tonight. That way I'll be able to get "Shaun of the Dead" in time to watch it and start the discussion thread while it's still friggin' February.

As for television, I subsist on a steady diet of Law and Order: Random Letters Unit, and reruns of Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, and other such fine comedy programs. And of course, movies.

Eating: Junk, mostly, as usual. I'm hungry right now, in fact, and I think I will go downstairs and have a bagel.

Doing: Let's see... missing my girl, missing my girl, procrastinating on homework, missing my girl, thinking about that bagel, messing around on the boards, stubbornly arguing that you can miss what you've never had, and being cold. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. Stupid crazy Texas weather. I was sweating bullets yesterday--I heard clinks the whole walk home--and today I'm shivvering like a gal in a horror picture. Blarg, I say! Blargen-schmorgen!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:18 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Reading: Masters of Death (a book about the einsatzgruppen); Opium, A History; way too much news.
Studying: history, I suppose.
Listening: news, Austin Lounge Lizards
Watching: nothing
Eating: spinach soup
Doing: trying to make a chest cold feel unwelcome

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:57 pm 
AOL: Fite+Mashine
Listening: the Internationale
Researching: the Spanish Civil War
Sitting: in a chair
Wearing: pants

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:15 am 
Yahoo Messenger: TiDragoner
AOL: RiazKnyne
reading: Breadgivers - By some woman who's name I am too lazy to look for right now. Finished it, pretty good. Was for my history class...about an immigrant growing up in 1920's. Pyramids - By Terry Pratchett.

studying: Same novel as above. US history after 1877 and some really easy math.

watching
: Office Space.

eating
: A lot of microwave food and ramen...as we are poor and have to buy cheep stuff.

doing: training at work, trying to find a second job, going to school, playing world of warcraft and spending what evenings I have off with my husband.

I'm boring.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:19 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Reading: Not enough. Currently, "War of Honor", with "The Shadow of Saganami" on deck.

Studying: Principles of Epidemiology, MRSA rates from nursing homes in New Haven and Fairfield counties.

Watching: News, Enterprise, Battlestar Galactica, ER, House, too much other random stuff.

Listening To: Currently, the CD player is loaded with Tangerine Dream and Beethoven symphonies.

Eating: Too damn much

Doing: Epidemiology take home midterm. Figuring out what mayhem to put my gaming group through (along with wondering what possessed me to schedule a game the same week as my midterm...)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:47 am 
reading: "A Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin. I just finished it about 20 minutes ago, and it's too late to go to the bookstore for #2, so I'm just going to have to deal with book withdrawls til morning. Great storyline, though so many of my favorite characters were dying like flies.

studying:
Jazz standards for upcoming shows
listening to: tons of jazz, folk, rock, punk, indie stuff...I'm a mood-music kinda person.

watching: Carnivale, the current Survivor, and Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Everything else is just visual "junk food" to me.

eating: Healthier than I had been eating....I'm trying to weed caffine out of my diet. Drinking more water, eating more veggies, occassionally getting off my arse, etc.

doing: working, singing, taking far too many road trips for a family of four (a lot of "family business" to take care of between Sacramento and LA.), and taking advantage of the good weather by hitting the beaches before all the tourists get here.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:41 am 
Location: In the middle of Fantasy, Reality and Sherry Trifle
Reading: 'PCB track not found, please re-seat the PCB' -ARRRRGH!
Studying: PCB Diagrams from a large Tape/Disk Storage OEM
Listening to: BBC Radio 1/2 (at the same time!)
Watching: My eyes melt from studying & VDU radiation.
Eating: The Chocolate & Strong Coffie
Doing: 'Work' or 'Strange & unusual punishment (that you get 'paid' for)'

Ah well, 20 mins to go...
Wizz.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:47 pm 
Location: Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
Reading: Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield, Lord of the Rings for the billionth time, and just started The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.
Studying:Paleobiology, geology.
Listening to:ACDC, Creed, Springsteen, Evanesence, Blue Oyster Cult, Led Zepplin, Nirvana, Metallica, Queen, REO Speedwagon and others.
Watching:Paint drying
Eating:Pizza, steak, Caeser salads, lots of chocolate milk.
Doing:Playing KOTOR II, plotting world domination through a monoploy of kitty litter manufacturers.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:23 am 
Reading: Still reading Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver. I've also finished a Flock of Ships (interesting, though not as good as The Good Shepherd, which was an extraordinary novel of naval combat).

Studying: Still practicing drawing. It's hard to keep myself motivated, in that I would like to be making more progress, but I'm already fair at drawing what I see in the environment around me (by definition, amateur fits pretty well). On the other hand, making the transition from what I see in my head to the paper is still highly problematic for me - I guess I just need to practice and study for more ideas.

Doing: Now updating my website weekly, on Fridays. I had historically been considering titling it "Wireball.com - Updating Yearly Whether It Needs it or Not", but traffic is going up (mainly to the laptop repair articles), and a few other things have changed in my life which makes it easier for me to update regularly, so I've gained a new enthusiasm for building my site into something more significant.

Also cleaning up my room so that I can build this LEGO bipedal robot walker (it even has videos - it's amazing watching it walk across the floor - quite fluid). Cleaning the room takes an insanely long amount of time, however - there's a ridiculous amount of paper, Popular Science/Mechanics magazines, computer parts, and other assorted junk strewn across the floor, boxes on ever shelf and under every surface, and computer CDs in their jewel cases stacked everywhere. My mind really has a hard time understanding organization / how to organize (my whole family is like that)!

Considering: Quitting computer gaming, so I have more time to work on my projects, and more motivation to do difficult / less-immediately-rewarding tasks. I'd rather pursue my engineering education so I can start trying to build interesting robot designs.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:35 pm 
AOL: Dr+Quacksalver
Location: Fighting the good fight! The War on Low Temperatures is a righteous battle!
I've been

Reading: The Prince, by Niccolo Machiavelli, Pandoras Star by Peter F. Hamilton and There will be dragons by John Ringo. And Shonen Jump! Translated to Norwegian.

Studying: I've done my part of a presentation of a monthly trip my class had to Latinamerica. That's the closest thing to studying.

Doing: Ummm... played a bit computer games, dug out and the slept two nights in a snow cave and held said presentation

Listening to: Dimmu Borgir, Nightwish, Apocalyptica and Kent.

Watching: People. Well, I did talk to them too. No TV. I don't watch much TV.

Eating: Whatever is prepared at mealtimes. Wich is quite a lot of different foodstuff, and I never bother to remeber them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:05 pm 
Reading:My textbooks *sighs*. I have an extreme urge to break open A Game of Thrones again, such a good story and I need a good read at the moment. Only problem is that my workload at the college will be picking up again and the last thing I need is a book more interesting than the work I'm doing (a common occurance). I also wanna read Philip K. Dick's "A Scanner Darkly" again. I read it last month and was glued to it for 3 days. Now I have the urge to read it again, at least before the movie comes out (still a while yet).

Studying: Wood finishing. The current class in the course I'm taking (changes every 3 weeks). I have a final Tuesday, so I really need to get going on that. Need to know all sorts of stuff about spraying and wood preperation which is a lot harder than it sounds. Also need to know a bunch about moldings and casting. Fun fun!

Listening to: Belle & Sebastian's "If You're Feeling Sinister" has to be my album of the week, easily. Favourite song on it would be "The Boy Done Wrong Again". Definately worth the buy. Other commonly listened too album would be "In Absentia" by Porcupine Tree, which is one of the best albums of all time. A third album for this week would be Blue Valentine by Tom Waits.

Watching: Saw "The Jacket" and "A Very Long Engagement" last weekend. The Jacket had potential, but blew it all away, wasn't too interesting. "A Very Long Engagement" made up for it though. Amazing, brilliant, stunning movie. A must-see. This weekend I saw Robots. Pretty funny, though not made with the quality of a Pixar piece. Still, worth a watch. Me and my sister rented The Emperor's New Groove mid-week. Love that movie, and I'd forgotten how funny it was. I still have "Before Sunrise" rented and will probably watch it tonight.

Eating: Meh, the usual. 'cept for Wednesday I think it was. Me and my sister cooked up a coupla steaks and some potatoes. Best meal I've had in a while, not including when I eat out. Have some pizza in the fridge to finish.

Doing: Not much. I try to fit in some World of Warcraft from time to time, but never really feel like it or have the time to do it. Been playing guitar a lot lately, Jazz and my own compositions. Discovered Power-Tab, which has made writing stuff a lot easier. Might go out CD shopping today, if I can finish my homework first. Should probably be doing that now.

And that's it. That was fun! :kiki:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:28 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: wesmason
AOL: TDP4
This week, I've been ...

reading: Subtitles on Anime. Computer screens. Some menus too, but no books per-se.
studying: the insides of my eyelids on the train
listening to: The just released OST for BECK. Torrents rule.
watching: Anime: BECK, Naruto, Mai HiME, GITS2, InuYasha. TV: Lost, SG1, SG1 Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica.
eating: Really bad for you tasty food like burritos; hamburgers; two eggs, bacon, potatos (spicy), toast, coffee; BBQ chicken from the local Yips.
doing: working, what else... Oh yeah... Ubercon!!

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat