Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:00 am 
Just moved to Cincinnati, new to town and I was wondering if any sluggites live here, or used to, and could offer tips, suggestions, or maybe let me buy them a beer.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:53 am 
My wife is from there, but we live in Columbus. It's a pretty town, but very conservative. The first thing you'll have to do is get used to what they call chili there and the depth of their passion for it.

On the few occasions my wife has let me eat anything other than Skyline while visiting there, I've really enjoyed Alabama Fish.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:55 pm 
kitoba wrote:
My wife is from there, but we live in Columbus.

That's right! I seem to remember you are from Ohio. You were an artist/musician, right? If I ever make it to Columbus, you'll have to let me buy you a beer.

Quote:
It's a pretty town, but very conservative.

I make a point not to talk politics at all anymore. I spend about 8% of my paid time in education and outreach and I find being absolutely neutral helps everyone feel comfortable talking to me. It's important, I feel, to offer a safe space for all viewpoints to be expressed and explored.

Quote:
The first thing you'll have to do is get used to what they call chili there and the depth of their passion for it.

I've run into Skyline and Camp Washington Chili a few times. It wasn't wholly unpleasant. :)

Quote:
On the few occasions my wife has let me eat anything other than Skyline while visiting there, I've really enjoyed Alabama Fish.

I will have to check it out. I'm digging Jungle Jims and the Findlay Market. Quite a bit of good produce for sale. It is definitely a different town than I am used to, but has some interesting facets.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:42 pm 
After a long, long time, I came back to the Forums and noticed this post.

I live outside of Hamilton, and yeah, I know Jungle Jim's (and went to the Findlay Market with my parents as a kid).

Hope you've adapted to the Queen City and all of it's quirks :) There's lots to enjoy and appreciate here; and yes, the SW region of Ohio is very conservative (and we like it that way).

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:21 am 
Eh, not actually adapting that well.

I'm finding it to be a pretty xenophobic place, and have kind of reverted to hermit status. Just jobbing, gymming, then home, and have pretty much given up on the social scene here. People here react very coldly and bizarrely to discovering you aren't from Cincinnati, or even Ohio. :(

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:23 pm 
Chitowne wrote:
Eh, not actually adapting that well.

I'm finding it to be a pretty xenophobic place, and have kind of reverted to hermit status. Just jobbing, gymming, then home, and have pretty much given up on the social scene here. People here react very coldly and bizarrely to discovering you aren't from Cincinnati, or even Ohio. :(

Eh? Sounds like your going to the wrong places; I've always found people in the region to be polite and courteous.

OTOH, wearing clothing that promotes sports teams that are mortal enemies of the Reds & Bengals could be problematic... :p

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:28 pm 
I live downtown, and have mainly been going to downtown, the Banks, OTR, uptown, etc.

The first question people ask is "What high school did you go to?"

It's glob ridiculous. Everyone is so provincial. Giving the wrong answer (which includes "I'm not from Cincinnati") quickly kills the conversation.

So I'm working on my mile time right now and avoiding people, because it was just getting unpleasant.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:54 am 
You should drive up to Columbus. It's only 90 minutes away, but a world apart in terms of culture and outlook. Basically Columbus:Ohio::Austin:Texas (Columbus is to Ohio as Austin is to Texas). Tomorrow (Saturday October 3) is Columbus' famous Gallery Hop night --always a fun time.

As compared to Cincinnati, a large percentage of Columbusites are from other places, so you might find it less insular.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:24 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I went to Columbus Medical Center for treatment a few months back. Was definitely an interesting city while I was there.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:26 pm 
Never been to Columbus, might try, right now I'm so busy with new contracts and hiring for my lab that I'm not even sleeping. Soooooooooo tired!

Unfortunately I don't currently have a reliable car, and for religious reasons don't plan on changing the situation much in the forseeable future. I'm a bit reliant on Public Transit as a result. :(

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:24 pm 
Unfortunately Kasich killed the proposed 3C railway, but Greyhound is only $10 between Cincinnati and Columbus. Public transit here isn't great, but there's a free downtown circulator, Uber, and car and bike share services. Plus, all the best stuff in Columbus is in the downtown area, which is small enough to walk if you're motivated.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat