Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: Come back to Sluggy...
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:01 am 
I posted something similar in SRC, but I know not everyone from GC goes there.

It seems like this would be a good time to make a concerted fan push to try to help Pete get back some of the readers he's lost over the years. The pace of the comic has really sped up lately. We know a lot of Oasis' secrets. Zoe and Riff are back. Sasha has been unmasked as a double agent, and we finally know the secret of the comic's name (or do we?). I had trouble getting the site to come up at midnight for the first time in years. We should spread the word, it's time to come back...

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:12 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I've been worried about this sort of thing for a while now. Not just the comic, but GC has also been rather lacking in frequent posting. I've been on this forum just about every day for the past five years or so and it saddens me to see a lot of favorite faces aren't showing up as often as they used to (or at all in a lot of cases).

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:34 am 
It's a known problem. It just seems like now is a good time to do something about it. Ultimately the forum lives and dies by the comic, and the comic has shed a lot of fans over the years because it can be slow moving and complex.

The fact that it's moving into the fabled "last act" might really intrigue a lot of people, however. I just don't think Pete's going to take advantage of that opportunity himself. Marketing doesn't seem like his strong suit.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:49 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I dunno, I think the 4 page reaction to the 'Sluggy' reveal is a sign that people are reading, just not visiting the other parts of the forum. It makes sense though (as sad as it makes me) because what's the point in getting involved in a community for a comic that's ending?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:56 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Sluggy shouldn't be ending for at least another decade or so, right? I think Pete said something like that in one of the news announcements, but I can't be sure where.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:18 pm 
Dodger77 wrote:
I dunno, I think the 4 page reaction to the 'Sluggy' reveal is a sign that people are reading, just not visiting the other parts of the forum.

There was a time that would have been 10 pages in a couple of hours for a big reveal.

Quote:
It makes sense though (as sad as it makes me) because what's the point in getting involved in a community for a comic that's ending?

Like Kajin said, I don't think the End is Nigh quite yet. Given Pete's pacing I'm thinking 5 years.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:50 pm 
kitoba wrote:
Dodger77 wrote:
I dunno, I think the 4 page reaction to the 'Sluggy' reveal is a sign that people are reading, just not visiting the other parts of the forum.

There was a time that would have been 10 pages in a couple of hours for a big reveal.
10 page reaction threads were pretty rare even back in the day. I think Bun-Bun's return and the Sasha revelation were the only ones that manged it.

kitoba wrote:
It makes sense though (as sad as it makes me) because what's the point in getting involved in a community for a comic that's ending?

Like Kajin said, I don't think the End is Nigh quite yet. Given Pete's pacing I'm thinking 5 years.

I think 5 years is a stretch. I'd say 2 maybe 3 years.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:40 pm 
Quote:
I think 5 years is a stretch. I'd say 2 maybe 3 years.

Either way, better to go out with a bang than a whimper, right?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:21 pm 
Anyway, this thread reminded me of this handy thread that links to the comics that got the biggest reactions.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:02 pm 
I've always read the comic, I just don't post on the forum as much anymore. I don't really have a reason for it save that I went to other forums.

I did meet some awesome people back in the day and had a ton of fun modding some insane wolverine games, but the community nowadays seems sparse.

I pop in every once in awhile just to see what's going on and see if I still know any posters but I'm not certain I'll ever be a full time poster like I was.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:30 am 
Goose! Good to see you, I had no idea you were still around :sasha:

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Does anyone know what reason FreakyBoy stopped coming onto the forums? He and Skitz were two of the most prolific posters, but he left for some reason that I don't think he ever mentioned and Skitz stopped coming when he did.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:26 pm 
Kajin wrote:
Does anyone know what reason FreakyBoy stopped coming onto the forums? He and Skitz were two of the most prolific posters, but he left for some reason that I don't think he ever mentioned and Skitz stopped coming when he did.

He was pretty vocal about having fallen out of love with the Comic, and I think he just got to a point where the forums alone weren't enough to keep him around. I wasn't really surprised he finally disappeared, he had been voicing his discontent for a while.

However, this post isn't about the slow death of the forums --we've been talking about that for years and years now. It's about whether we can stoke some new interest in the Comic now that we've entered the endgame. It seems like the name reveal alone should be worth some blog posts and articles out there on teh tubes. I'm tempted to write to some of the webcomics artists I know were inspired by Pete and see if they'll do a mention on their page or in their strips.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:54 pm 
RE: FreakyBoy: There is this post. Sounds like he was sticking around solely for a game down in the RPG forums. He also mentions the fact that he stopped reading Sluggy a year ago.

Sluggy's on the first page of that Top Web Comics site for the first time since (I think) Sluggy was put on their list. Hopefully that will drum up some traffic.

(Don't forget to vote!)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 pm 
I've been keeping up with Sluggy itself (although sometimes I forget and have to catch up a few days), but I've been finding myself being significantly less active on the forums. Part of it is due to the fact that they are much less active. There were just too many times that some line of conversation I found interesting stalled, too many games in WGARS and FRPG that just died out. I think what really started it for me was when I ran Jaguar (the sequel to Oni) in FRPG. People seemed to really enjoy Oni, which made all the research effort I put into it worthwhile. I put in a similar level of effort into Jaguar, but there just seemed to be fewer people interested, and the game eventually stalled out.

The other thing that I think has contributed to my decline in activity here is playing Ingress. :torg:

That some month was also the last post of quesoLOCO27. Anybody know what happened to her? She was quite possibly the most prolific poster here for quite some time.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat