Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: Trojan arsehats
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:13 am 
In the last week, somebody has been trying to Trojan all the computers at my work. We've all received emails with dodgy attachments, but they aren't the bog standard generic trojans with generic sounding titles like "business proposal" from unknown fake email addresses.

Whoever it was took the trouble to make it look like the fake emails are coming from my coworkers' accounts, and they bothered to research our job titles enough that the email titles sound vaguely relevant. There was a fake email from our PR person with "media list" in the title. And one from our CEO saying "letter from the board of directors" on it. I even got one in my personal gmail account. Someone is deliberately targeting us. Bastards.

Post subject: Re: Trojan arsehats
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:59 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Check and make sure that your company hasn't stiffed Monster Hunter International. That sounds like something that their troll would do.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:58 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
That's scary. The issue there is those sound believable enough they might actually work on someone. And then... Cue the bigger network problems.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:17 pm 
There's been more suspicious emails in the last couple of days. They are most definitely targeted to us specifically because they are about topics that only my organization would be interested in. They're trying to look like emails from government departments or college professors about public policy matters that we are known to do work on. Luckily we are a small office and were able to contact everybody and tell them not to click on stuff, so no-one has fallen for it (yet). We have changed all our email passwords, and the wifi passwords too.

However, in the last couple of days, the whole office's internet has inexplicably slowed down. You have to refresh websites 2 or 3 times to get them to load correctly. I don't know if that's some kind of attack or what.

Several years ago, our website got DDoSed, so who knows if it's the same people again.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:27 pm 
That sounds a lot like (in the worst case) something else is using your internet link, and flooding it with data. It could be that someone's dragging away the contents of your databases; or it could be that your company's servers are sending out thousands of emails a minute telling random people that they've won a million dollars in the British lottery.

This is the point at which whoever runs your IT is going to get a chance to show how quick they are at dealing with this sort of thing.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:35 pm 
Ohcrap.
I think we're being spied on.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat