Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: Video Editing Help
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:31 pm 
This is probably not the best place to ask, but it's a place to start.

I want to take an existing video file and replace the video of some portion of it with an image, leaving the audio intact. For example, say there's a movie that I want to show to my parents, but it has a gory scene in it. I take the movie and during the gory scene I overlay a big "Gory Scene Censored" sign, but they still get to hear what happens.

I tried doing this with Windows Movie Maker, but there appears to be no way to divorce the audio from the video in that program. I guess it's the Paint of video editing software.

So, what can I turn to so I can do this?

Post subject: Re: Video Editing Help
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:26 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Yeah, Movie Maker is pretty much precisely as you describe it.

Ummm... Sony Movie Studio? What you want to do is fairly basic video editing, and Movie Studio is pretty much built for exactly that (and is relatively affordable). There's a trial available for it, though I have no idea how much functionality you have from the trial.

More advanced editing I'd go for Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Premiere. Compositing/digital effects for post-production I'd go with Combustion (preferred) or Adobe After Effects, but that's only if you're really going crazy with it.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:28 am 
I know Kdenlive can do it, but its download page only has Linux, FreeBSD and Mac packages; if you have a computer running one of those operating systems, then that's one way to do it. (I'm assuming your main system is Windows, given that you've already tried Windows movie maker).

Alternatively, this wikipedia page lists a whole lot of video editing software; probably most of them can do what you want, so pick out one that'll run on your system. Going purely by the name, VirtualDub looks promising, though I haven't tried it.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:32 am 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
unfortunately I only deal with software like final cut and adobe premiere which is probably cost prohibitive just to do a quick replacement like that. If you have a mac though I do believe you can use their iMovie to do it.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat