Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:18 pm 
I'm wondering whether that poll site is read entirely by middle-aged men. Or maybe the whole thing's rigged in some way.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:45 pm 
AOL: insane3rhyno
Muffkin wrote:
Goatlord42 wrote:
Messaged Pete early this morning, he and Tom checked and apparently he can't post anything directly to the site, but thanks us mightily for any support we can round up here.
Someone might want to tell that to the other candidates... check some of their sites over the last couple days... as it appears that the four comics in the lead all have at least news posts, if not actual comics mentioning the contest.

edit: actually, that's pretty cool, sluggy is the leading comic among those that haven't posted something on the main page. As to the quality of the other comics, I have to agree with some of the people in this topic, the only other comic on that list I have read was Least I Could Do, and I started reading that only recently through the start of the new lfg comic by the same people, I have to say that it is quite funny, but "oh look, he's having sex again" kind of loses its charm after a while.

See, I LOVE LICD. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally voting for Sluggy all the way, but if LICD wins, I won't be upset. And for the record, LICD gets better. The most recent story arc is turning out to be frighteningly deep, for Sohmer.
But yeah, definitely agreeing about CTRL+ALT+DEL, and while I haven't read Penny-Arcade I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Savage Chickens didn't look TOO bad, but it definitely doesn't have the level of depth and humor that many of the others do. And I'm getting into Cox & Forkum, but I think political cartoons are a different breed than Sluggy. Apples and oranges, neh? Mostly it's been a bunch of comics I've never heard of, which is wierd because I read a LOT of webcomics. (Pete will always be my fav, though :torg: ).

Question: Why ISN'T there a post about it on the main page?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:35 pm 
RhynoD wrote:
The most recent story arc is turning out to be frighteningly deep, for Sohmer.

Emphasis mine :D

Still a good comic. Suck for a buck on the horse, anyone?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:08 pm 
AOL: by+request
I feel bad putting on my uppity cap, but I do have to agree that the choices on this poll see to be a little strange. Sluggy and LICD seem to be the only two real choices if you don't want something dreadfully political, or virtually devoid of humor. Some people mentioned that PA or ctrl-alt-del should go on there, but I don't think this is the demographic that would appreciate video game strips, although they should be represented. Looking through my webcomic lists, i think that there definitely should be some better candidates out there, anything from the instant classic entertainment would seem to fit in perfectly, or xkcd, which is something I view as one of the most intelligent comics on the internet.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:18 pm 
"And that's when I bought the horse a hooker..."
I love LICD. I mean, the guy's a jackass and I would never want to live like that, but damn if he isn't funny. I respect his wit, humor, and intelligence, and he strikes me as a good guy, deep down. And damn if this recent story arc isn't throwing me a curve! Sohmer! Serious!? But I love how he still has fun with it...Kiera Knightly...Tee-hee!

When did you get into LICD? I followed a link from CTRL+ALT+DEL, I think...maybe it was DP, but anywho, that was around Thanksgiving. That weekend while I was home and had nothing to do, I read through the archives.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:43 am 
The big problem is that LICD actually has a news post on the front page, while Sluggy doesn't have jack. We need Thyla or someone to slap a giant yellow bulletin over the comic advertising this, because I know I'm angry that I missed almost every chance to vote (I just found out about this today and it's ending Dec. 15th, AKA tomorrow) and I know there's gonna be a lot of other people that don't really check the forums that are gonna be all kinds of pissed off when they find out that they didn't get to show their support.

As of this post, LICD is in the lead with 1200+ votes over an editorial cartoon I've never heard of, followed by Day by Day and Savage Chickens. The biggest disgrace is that we're still only in triple digits, when I know we could be over 5 and nearing 6 if we had something slapped up around a yellow bulletin on the front page. I will personally be feeling a bit of a double edged sword if LICD wins, as I like Sohmer's writing but hate hate HATE DeSouza's art. I'm waiting for Chad to come back.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:50 am 
Really? I mean, I liked Chad, too, but now that I've gotten into Lars', I like it. It's good stuff, I think. Besides, his niece is frigging adorable, neh?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:29 pm 
I talked to Pete, and he seemed pretty sure he couldn't, though I couldn't find the rule myself. Feel free to try, though I don't think we have much time for it to matter.

I'm still for at least getting us 1K votes though, durnit!

*Ponders* if the other sites were breaking rules about telling people to vote, that might be grounds for a disqualification.... If someone wants to try and fight it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:42 am 
Location: in a secret base on the far side of the moon, hiding under a blanket.
Sorry no luck there, it is most definitely not against the rules, in fact the Weblog Awards go so far as to provide an official logo for nominees to put on their site as a link to encourage readers to vote. See here for the official logos and the rules about using them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:02 pm 
Goatlord42 wrote:
I'm still for at least getting us 1K votes though, durnit!
We're at 951 last I checked, we're gonna make it, we're gonna make it!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:22 pm 
Oi, well, we'll just have to get better publicity next time, durnit!

But yeah, we can totally make 1K. Lets go people, and hold onto our current ranking!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:17 pm 
We did it! the site now says 1000 exactly!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:19 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Location: Sunny, sunny Chicago ... wait, what? uh oh... (just moved to Chicago)
I just cast the 1000th vote!

Sadly, it was only my second vote, because when I first voted I already saw that sluggy was irredeemably behind. The spread there is REALLY sad. At least we have more than 69 votes (now, that's really really sad).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:51 pm 
Well done guys, considering. DEF need to get more organized next year, but we showed that sluggy still has a damn loyal fanbase!

Gonna cast one more, possibly the last vote right now. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:58 pm 
Internet, why hath thou forsaken me? I'd thought that I had voted at 11 last night, but I'm still locked out. D:

Get yer votes in for the Petester while ye still can! Push us over that sexfiend!

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat