Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:51 am 
AOL: TonySopranoRival
Location: Above a convinience store (backwaterplanet.com anyone?)
I think I'll give all the comics on the list a chance.

Day by Day (The only one I read so far) seems like it's more oriented at 40 year olds who are cynical about liberalism and enjoy Ray Romano and Kevin James.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:12 am 
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Well, I put in another vote.

Anyone else noticed how slow their site is at actually doing anything when you cast your vote?

What are they running it on - treacle? (Mmm, treacle on pancakes, now I'm hungry again - damn!)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:24 pm 
AOL: insane3rhyno
This should totally go on the main page of Sluggy.com...

But yeah, I followed a link from Least I Could Do, intending to vote for them (because that's a frigging awesome comic) but I saw Sluggy on there and was like oh HELL no I'm not voting for anyone but Sluggy. So I did.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:34 am 
I'm torn on Cox & Forkum.

On one hand they're funny. On the other hand they're as blatantly propagandistic as FoxNews. Kind of like I Drew This, except republican. They're just as intolerant of opposing political views and just as unfair trying to represent the opposing argument and I Drew This....except, republican.

(I Drew This is the other comic of the guy who writes Ozy and Millie. A liberal comic which is...let's say, 'fair and balanced'.)

Dog Eat Doug on the other hand, I like. It's a comic strip in the spirit of what comic strips used to be before they became a bunch of talking heads. It reminds me of early Peanuts.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:39 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
*Cracks the whip*

VOTE MY MINIONS! VOTE!

MUAHAHAHHAAH. don't let us come in FOURTH... Yuk.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:54 am 
I think there's something skewed in the voting. Maybe it's the type of people who frequent those types of pages? The fact that Sluggy is even up there I think is impressive. I've never even heard of any of the other comics.

I also think there should be two separate categories. One for print comics, and one for webcomics.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:09 pm 
We are running in fifth. Vote harder, dammit.
Vote with your girlfriend's computer. Get a girlfriend so that you can vote with her computer. Vote at work. Vote at school. Vote at the library. Vote at the internet cafe. Steal a computer and plug in anywhere there is a phonejack. But, in the name of Pete, vote.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:06 pm 
AOL: insane3rhyno
I question the morality of your suggestions....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:43 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
This is the internet, home of "One man, one thousand votes". There is no morality involved.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:06 pm 
Goatlord42 wrote:
Messaged Pete early this morning, he and Tom checked and apparently he can't post anything directly to the site, but thanks us mightily for any support we can round up here.

I'm puzzled by this... Is there some rule or something? Are we talking about the award site, or sluggy.com?

Oh, and there's no link for Sluggy because it's apparently only RSS feeds that get linked. I find RSS kinda silly in a once-daily (or less) updated site, but whatever...

Mr. "Ya know, with some 60k - 100k+ hits a day, a linky on the top "current news" box on sluggy.com should generate a heck of a lotta votes..." Jest

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:18 am 
I checked all the other comics.

Half of them are conservatively biased political comics, and half of them are gag-a-day print comics that are either about cute kids or philandering guys.

I don't even know how Sluggy got nominated on a site with these kinds of tastes.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:10 am 
RhynoD wrote:
I question the morality of your suggestions....

I'm a soulless pragmatist. What can I say?
But I can tell you one thing for certain: Goons are doing exactly what I am suggesting here on each of those comics ahead of us.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:57 am 
AOL: by+request
Goatlord42 wrote:
Messaged Pete early this morning, he and Tom checked and apparently he can't post anything directly to the site, but thanks us mightily for any support we can round up here.
Someone might want to tell that to the other candidates... check some of their sites over the last couple days... as it appears that the four comics in the lead all have at least news posts, if not actual comics mentioning the contest.

edit: actually, that's pretty cool, sluggy is the leading comic among those that haven't posted something on the main page. As to the quality of the other comics, I have to agree with some of the people in this topic, the only other comic on that list I have read was Least I Could Do, and I started reading that only recently through the start of the new lfg comic by the same people, I have to say that it is quite funny, but "oh look, he's having sex again" kind of loses its charm after a while.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:29 pm 
Muffkin wrote:
Goatlord42 wrote:
Someone might want to tell that to the other candidates... check some of their sites over the last couple days... as it appears that the four comics in the lead all have at least news posts, if not actual comics mentioning the contest.

Yeah, I'm confused. I actually hung around the site just long enough after voting to notice that they offer "finalist" logos that provide a link to the voting site -- and are encouraging finalists to use them on their sites?

Also, to gregnier: By locking the other post on SRC the message is slipping away from the radar -- I almost forgot to vote today (twice) -- as I don't frequent this forum...

[edit]Hmm. I just thought of at least one other 'convenient' place I can vote... Duh. Freg, lost days...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:55 pm 
Question? Why, why, WHY does Savage Chickens belong on that poll? I looked at it, and as far as I'm concerned it's complete crap. The art is terrible, for starters, and it's not even that good. There are much better webcomics out there than that. Off the top of my head, Ctrl+Alt+Del and Penny-Arcade, as well as Order of the Stick.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat