Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:36 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Just finished the campaign. Overall, I liked it a lot. The best thing, I think, was the interesting variety of missions. One of my favorites was "Enemy Within," where, starting from a small mobile larva, you infest an entire protoss ship. "Domination" was like some kind of deadly Easter egg hunt, and "Waking the Ancient" was similar. "Infested" and "Shoot the Messenger" were fun for requiring you to protect multiple points on the map simultaneously. I also liked "With Friends Like These..." for letting you control terrans for a change of pace, and because you get to lay the smackdown on Mira Han, who I find annoying.

It was kind of interesting that HotS was much more hero-focused than WoL; nearly every map had you directly controlling Kerrigan as a unit on the battlefield. Raynor's hero unit wasn't nearly so prevalent in WoL. The downside to this was that Kerrigan seemed a tad overpowered. There were times that my army felt like a glorified meat shield for Kerrigan.

I don't get why people seem to be complaining that the campaign is too short. It has about 2/3 the missions of WoL, but it was also around 2/3 the price. Seems about right to me.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:59 pm 
I just have to say; the Zerg were so ridiculously overpowered that- well, it was freaking awesome!

I especially liked how you could freely swap out Kerrigan and the Swarm's upgrades between missions, it allowed me to customize the swarm for every mission. Except for the specific strain branches for the Zerg creatures. Here's what I picked.

Zergling -> Raptorling
Roach -> Vile
Baneling -> Hunter
Hydralisk -> Lurker
Mutalisk -> Broodlord
Swarm Host -> Carrion (Not my best decision ever)
Ultralisk -> Torrasque

I do wish the campaign had been a little longer, and that there could have been continuations of the more unique missions like 'With Friends Like These' and that one in the Protoss ship, but all in all it was an outstanding addition to the Starcraft game universe. Oh, and it would have been better for Kerrigan to have a little more development, and give her a little more conflict over whether or not to re-Zergify herself, but I'm nitpicking.

Oh, and Heart of the Swarm?! Y u no have Corrupters or Nydus Worms?!

Edit: second playthrough, swarmlings+zergling reconstitution = unstoppable!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:51 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
the primary complaint that blizzard had over Wings of Liberty was that the campaign was too long. It was a conscious decision to shorten the overall campaign of HotS and focus on the multiplayer.

I just finished the hybrid missions and was surprised when i went to look at the acheivements and found there were only two more chapters. I'll tell you one thing, i nearly <bleep>ed myself when [spoiler]Raynor walked out of the shadows in the Zel'Naga temple[/spoiler]

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:59 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I own WoL but my computer can barely run the game. I'm lucky I finished the campaign! i won't be playing the expansions until I get a better computer sadly. Lord knows when that will happen.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:28 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
just finished the campaign. pretty awesome. Now, Time to push for grandmaster again.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat