Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 161 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:00 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
I'm really sorry, Kajin.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 am 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: nightflyer87
My condolences, Kajin :(

This weekend I will be taking my dog to the vet, getting a new front door installed, and visiting my grandpa's grave. Thursday (that's right, Valentine's Day) marks one year since his passing.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:27 pm 
giggles wrote:
After the inspection, I'll be getting started on potty training the toddler. We run out of pull-ups Friday (except the night time ones), so I've decided I'm not buying more except for bed time. He knows all about using the potty. He just needs to learn how to tell when he needs to use it BEFORE he goes instead of after.

It really depends on the kid, of course, but our son was really motivated by a potty chart. My wife insisted on buying him little rewards when he would complete a chart, but honestly I think he would have been equally motivated without that. Sometimes it helps just to have a visible way of keeping track.

How old is your son? There's a push these days towards early potty training, but waiting a little can make it go much more smoothly.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:03 pm 
kitoba wrote:
giggles wrote:
After the inspection, I'll be getting started on potty training the toddler. We run out of pull-ups Friday (except the night time ones), so I've decided I'm not buying more except for bed time. He knows all about using the potty. He just needs to learn how to tell when he needs to use it BEFORE he goes instead of after.

It really depends on the kid, of course, but our son was really motivated by a potty chart. My wife insisted on buying him little rewards when he would complete a chart, but honestly I think he would have been equally motivated without that. Sometimes it helps just to have a visible way of keeping track.

How old is your son? There's a push these days towards early potty training, but waiting a little can make it go much more smoothly.

He'll be 3 in late April. I've been waiting and would wait even longer, but he's the one pushing to use the potty instead of diapers. He even said he didn't want to wear diapers or pull-ups anymore. We spent most of the weekend constantly going in and out of the bathroom because he just couldn't quite figure out when he needed to go. I sent him to daycare with a few sets of spare pants/underwear so we'll see how he fares. No accidents yesterday and I still put pull-ups on him at night right now. We need to figure out day time before we work on night time.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:33 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
My son has a remote control helicopter that LOVES, but he's only allowed to play with if he only went in the potty and not the pull-up that day. He was confused at first and was constantly asking to use the potty. He figured it out, though.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:58 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
giggles wrote:
He'll be 3 in late April. I've been waiting and would wait even longer, but he's the one pushing to use the potty instead of diapers. He even said he didn't want to wear diapers or pull-ups anymore. We spent most of the weekend constantly going in and out of the bathroom because he just couldn't quite figure out when he needed to go. I sent him to daycare with a few sets of spare pants/underwear so we'll see how he fares. No accidents yesterday and I still put pull-ups on him at night right now. We need to figure out day time before we work on night time.

We went to see Pocahontas in theaters when my sister was three. Later that week we were out shopping and she saw a pair of Pocahontas panties that she wanted, but she was still using diapers. She promised that if we got her the panties, she wouldn't have any accidents. That was all the potty training she needed, apparently.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:43 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Apparently when I was quite small my parents went over to a friend's house and brought me along, and I saw their little girl use the potty and promptly insisted I be taught to use it as well. I started my competitive streak young.

The robot husband (aka Girly Man of DOOM) on the other hand, a congenital procrastinator, had to have some kind of urgent crash course Hell Week potty training right before kindergarten started.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:05 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Actually starting really early can be quite easy. Babies surprisingly don't like lying in their own filth. Just as clothing is unnatural to them, so is a specific place to do the deed. I don't know the specific timing but you can start training before they've formed a habit of going in their pants. Once they've formed the habit of going in their pants the task becomes twofold. Breaking one habit and forming another.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 am 
Kajin wrote:
We went to see Pocahontas in theaters when my sister was three. Later that week we were out shopping and she saw a pair of Pocahontas panties that she wanted, but she was still using diapers. She promised that if we got her the panties, she wouldn't have any accidents. That was all the potty training she needed, apparently.

Toddlers have a surprising amount of bladder control. I had to tell him to let go when we got home yesterday.

He managed to make it through the day with only 2 accidents because he didn't want to stop playing to go potty. He'll get better, but it seems to me like a promising start. :kiki:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:01 am 
AOL: AxelFendersson
Tonight: Live music event at the Ashmolean museum in Oxford. Various music technology demonstrations and performances over the evening, finishing with a concert by The Original Rabbit Foot Spasm Band (excellent local jazz/rhythm & blues band).

Tomorrow: Lindy Hop workshop in Reading in the afternoon, Reading Swing Jam in the evening.

Sunday: I'm meeting my girlfriend's family for the first time. I am more nervous about this than I probably ought to be.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:28 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
I haven't decided yet, but I think a little bit of Dawnguard will be in order

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:11 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Either 48 hours of pure debauchery, or getting snowed in and cleaning out the fridge. *glares forbiddingly at the weather*

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:22 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
gee that's what I will get to look forward to next winter

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:22 pm 
Weekend? What is this weekend you speak of? I am working. Forever.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:26 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
|absolutely nothing|

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 161 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat