Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Semi-banned topic
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:38 pm 
This may be an off limits thing to discuss even these many years later, but curiosity knows no bounds. I was wondering the other day what happened to Thyla.

For those too "young" to remember, Thyla was the longtime administrator/community-manager of sluggy.net before Wile E. She was married to rit, the IT guy who built the site and still maintains it.

Due to the suddenness of her departure and the hush-hush reaction on the boards, I always assumed she and rit had an ugly breakup. But I know nothing for sure.

I imagine those who do know are still sworn to secrecy, but if not, I'll put it out there.

Thyla was always a bit of a controversial figure, but I was fond of her --she never appeared anywhere without her trademark "Vartini" (vodka martini) in one hand, at least on the boards.

Post subject: Re: Semi-banned topic
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:13 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I started reading Sluggy just shortly before she left, but by the time I signed up for the boards she'd already departed. I've always wanted to know what happened, but those I ask about it don't talk about it. I've always found it a little odd, myself.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:34 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
See this post on the topic.

Not very illuminating, I know. I wish I knew what happened to her, as well. My speculation was the same as yours. Now that more than five years have elapsed since that post, perhaps more could be said, but I personally wouldn't count on it.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:55 am 
AOL: Dodger724
This is all rampant speculation on my part but I remember thinking it may just be because she used her actual name here and she doesn't want this place coming up in google searches about her. I noticed a while back that her account was deleted.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 am 
AOL: drachefly
Being the community manager of a place like this seems more like something to put on your resumé than something to purge from your history.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:08 am 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
I had always thought the "vartini" was a varnish martini, from an episode when a poster shared some very explicit not-in-a-fun-way information and her response was, "Drink a can of varnish and pray for blindness."

Anyway, I haven't the foggiest idea what happened. We used to be extremely close, and then we started to lose touch, and then she left the boards, and that was that. I miss her terribly, but I respect her decision to close the door on this.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:47 pm 
AOL: Dodger724
Now I'm thinking that it wasn't a bad break up with rit that caused all this, but a bad breakup with Pete. And I'm pretty sure Inspy is right about the whole "vartini" thing.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:16 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: AxelFendersson
That's what I always understood a Vartini to be, too.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:23 pm 
inspiration wrote:
I had always thought the "vartini" was a varnish martini, from an episode when a poster shared some very explicit not-in-a-fun-way information and her response was, "Drink a can of varnish and pray for blindness."

Ah. Live and learn. I must have simply missed the original incident.

Dodger77 wrote:
Now I'm thinking that it wasn't a bad break up with rit that caused all this, but a bad breakup with Pete.

That seems less likely to me, just because it was such a clean break. If she were still married to rit, you might expect her to maintain her connections with some of her friends on the boards, even if she wasn't part of the community any more. Also, if Thyla and Pete had a big falling out, it would probably have been hard for him and rit to maintain a good working relationship.

But that's nothing more than idle speculation. Since it doesn't seem like new info is forthcoming, I'll close the topic. Maybe I should start a new thread for reminiscing about Sluggites past. We have had one of those in several years --long enough for a whole new crop of people to come and go...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:38 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
At the time, things happened. Even we mods who have come along since and were not party to the particulars have no insight to give. Even if we did we would not. Pete asked, long ago, to not discuss this. So, we're not. If his Glowingheadedness decides to make the particulars known, he will post about it.

In the meantime I'm going to close this topic and ask that the community respect both Pete and Thyla's privacy.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat