Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:23 am 
AOL: Astaereth
I was going to say that Burton'd be wrong for HP, but then it occured to me that Burton is wrong for pretty much everything except Burton (and even then he's sometimes messed up).

He was wrong for Batman. He was wrong for Roald Dahl. He's generally wrong for everyone else's ideas because his particular brand of dark, quirky humor doesn't blend with anyone else's darkness (Batman) or humor (Dahl). He's best when doing his own material (Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas)*. That's why a Burton HP would be bad, but Corpse Bride is going to be good.

*Big Fish wasn't his, but I think we can all agree that's not a very Burton-ish movie.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:57 pm 
I think I'd prefer to see Sam Raimi handle one. We know he can handle quirky humor, we know he can handle dark and creepy and we know he can handle epic. Plus, anyone who can coax a good performance out of Keanu Reeves (The Gift) can certainly handle teenage actors.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:45 am 
AOL: Surgoshan
Speaking of Sam Raimi, they need to bring in Bruce Campbell for a major role.

You KNOW he'd rock it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:42 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Just a comment; I thought about it when I first read HBP, and sort of took it for granted ever since; because this is the closest to a HP discussion at the moment, I'll just say it here:

HBP Spoiler - Comment on the Note:

The note in the cauldron states that someone beat Dumbledore and Harry to the punch; this Horcrux is gone, destroyed or not we don't know. Forgive me not having my notes handy, but I knwo the initials ended in 'B'. There aren't too many B-names in the story; Black happens to be the obvious choice, but it wasn't an S so Sirius is out. I looked back, and Sirius's brother (death eater, think he tried to leave and was killed) has the same first name. So my thought is that either he found out about the Horcrux and realized he knew a way to kill Voldy so he tried to leave, or he found out and Voldy had him killed cause he knew, it's a good bet to say that that Horcrux was in Sirius's brother's posession; where it is now, though... no clue. Maybe the Black mansion? *shrug* That's where my burst of inspiration ends.

;-)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:48 pm 
AOL: Astaereth
C: That was discussed in the HBP spoiler thread. A few people even found a reference in Order of the Phoenix to the gang cleaning Sirius's house, during which point they find something that may be one of those "things".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:46 am 
About HBP and RAB - I think most of the people (including me) who read it went "Wow! I figured out one of JKR's clues! Go me!". Of course, everyone's figured it out. So.

About the movies - Did you know Joss Whedon wants to direct the 7th movie? Well, maybe not so much wants to, but has said it would be neat and if he did any it would be the 7th. See?

It's old news, so you've probably heard it before, but it seemed appropriate!

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat