Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:12 pm 
Yes, yes, I know it has to do with protecting one's reputation, it's the placing of one's reputation above any and all common sense that confounds me.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:45 pm 
AOL: kiroth6
The idea we've associated with Being a Man, is one that's been associated with a role of responsibility, inner strength and accountability. The essence of which, can be applied to any person reguardless of gender or age. It is an inner maturity to meet obstacles with a mixture of courage, levelheadedness and perseverence as well as the ability to take responsibility for the results of your own actions.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:31 pm 
SaveTheGreyhounds wrote:

I'm not disagreeing, so don't get me wrong here. My concern is the implied conclusion (which is probably not even the conclusion you're drawing) that men can be inappropriate as long as they repress their feelings. And in turn, women can be uncontrollably emotive (weak, by many standards) as long as it's the right place and time.

The standards aren't bad, but the slope is slippery.

Yes thats roughly the standards that i think "being a man/lady" does describe. I am only describing what i think the standards are not what i think good standards would be. Personally i consider being a lady to be a rather negative thing for both men and women.

I don't think all that many people (at least among thoose whom i know well enough) actually approve of that standards especially the lady standards. But many use them as cooridante system and feel progressive and modern for not approving of them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:03 pm 
I think that maybe when people say "Grow up and be a man", they mean "Behave the way I want you to." At least, I figure that would be their most immediate motivation for saying that. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:41 pm 
AOL: Surgoshan
If you can laugh at yourself and pay your bills on time.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat