Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:33 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: styx326
AOL: drummeronthemoon
No problem. There's a reason I was Assistant Technical Director for the school musical last year ;)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:25 pm 
Alternative: wedge the block in any corner in your house, where you have 3 axes to hold a squared-off block (floor + 2 walls). This, plus some pressure, plus a "waste" block behind it to prevent drilling into your wall, will allow you to drill into most things w/o buying extra tools.

Disclaimer: I disclaim everything, including, but not limited to: your death, your dismemberment, your parrot's death, zombie hordes, holy walls, constipation, low home resale value, your parrot not liking the toys, and flood damage.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:49 pm 
Sounds like DD is on the right track. I could also suggest Micro-Mark catalog, they have a wonderful variety of neat stuff and I believe they ship world-wide. (although it may be kind of costly) As someone who has been building all kinds of odd stuff all of my life (including many art projects) I've used quite a few of their products. Good 'ol lockable wide-throat Vise-grip pliers w/ some tape or cloth to protect the wood could probably do the trick as well...

You're not anywhere near Kowloon, are you? It seems that just about every doohicky ever made ends up in little shops on Nathan road...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:54 pm 
I live in Kowloon, and Nathan Road is actually quite close to my home. My boyfriend stumbled on a district in Mong Kok that's a whole street full of little hardware stores, but things aren't exactly well-organized in there and I'm a bit leery of going in without knowing what I'm looking for. I reckon these hardware store guys will have even less patience with me than the ones in the US. Most of their customers are professional decorators.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:16 am 
SaveTheGreyhounds wrote:
Superglue would be a pain to get off, if you dont want it permanently fixed. I assume the same is true of wood glue? (I don't know)

Elmer's glue, I know for a fact is water-soluble, so it's a good *temporary* option.

All glues are temporary - you just need to know how to get thyem off... even epoxy resin is soluble in certain solutions (pineapple juice!)...

Either way Kea, I would SERIOUSLY think of spending the $30 equivalent on a couple of G clamps or a small workshop tabletop vice... It's not worth the risk to yourself to try it otherwise...

Believe you me... been there... done that. Pay for the safety kit, so next time you're stuck with a similar problem, the solution is there...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:59 am 
I will look into those mini G-clamps that Drummer Dude and Hexnut recommended. The large ones aren't going to be very useful to me because I'm drilling such small irregular objects, including soda bottle tops and slices of tree branch. Perhaps I should get some small clamps to hold the object, and then get some large clamps to hold the small clamps to the work surface. Speaking of work surfaces...

What I really need is a big thick block of wood that I can clamp to the dining room table to use as a work surface. Hmmm.... Scrapwood, scrapwood, where the heck do I find scrapwood? Hmmm... the neighbours are renovating. Maybe I should keep an eye out for dumpsters outside my apartment building.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat