Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:02 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
On proselyting to children: I agree. When I served as a missionary I was told not to proselyte to a minor without their guardian's permission, which makes all sorts of sense to me.

arcosh wrote:
AlternateTorg wrote:
What was really bothersome to me were the ones that would let you in and seemed to really like what you had to say, and even agreed to read scripture, pray, etc., but then didn't do what they had committed to do. I mean, that is just wasting our time, which could be spent talking to people who really do want to hear what we have to say.

Don't know the intentions of such people but i have trouble to think through what i really want while a salesman hovers around me. So if i need explainations of a salesman i go to the shop, listen to what he has to say, then say "i'll think about it" and then go home and make up my mind. In the cases where the same salesman does not recognize me buying the item in question a few days later, either because i decided against it or because that is his day off, likely thinks i have wasted his time too.

So i'd assume that at least some of thoose people actually needed information, while you were there were honestly interested but then slept over it and decided against it.

I probably should have been more clear. I was referring to people who continually have the missionaries coming back to see them without being serious about what they're teaching. I didn't have a problem with someone who, when we returned after the first visit, told us, "No, thanks."

On a related note to the topic of annoying people at the door, the most annoying type of caller, now that the Do-Not-Call legislation is in force in the U.S. are the calls where they want you to take some survey that's really designed to sell you a product. They're technically illegal, but difficult to prosecute because there's always that plausible deniability that, "Hey, it's just a survey."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:38 am 
Those people are probably just lonely and want someone to talk to...consider it a social service. :P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:54 am 
D'oh!

Evidently the Jehovas Witnesses came by when I was out the other day. I was so looking foward to explaining FSM theory to them.

Ah well, maybe next time...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:21 pm 
What if...
The evangelist or whatever knocks on your door...
You open it...
They take a good look at you...
And then they say, "No thanks." and leave.

I think that a religion that appeared aloof and arrogant would have all kinds of people trying to get in...

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat