Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: New Orleans: DOOMSDAY
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:57 pm 
Moist Happy of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: crossroads_inc42
AOL: Eric+Fischer
Hurrican Katrina, having goone from a Cat3 to a Cat5 overnight is threatening the city of New Orleans with basically, its very DOOM! Don't believe me? Well, heres a little SOMETHING from the city itself...

28 foot storm serge is predicted, Orleans levy systems is built to withstand 12foot waves....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:21 pm 
AOL: JakRhee
I dont know what to say...

I dont even really believe in God.. but if I'm wrong and He/She/It exists... may God have mercy on them.

I'll probably be down there in the aftermath. My Team Leader has alreadu informed me that my Americorps NCCC team is right at the top of the Disaster Priority list. I'll do everything in my power to help.

This is just horrible..

A girl from my Unit, Tina, is from Mississippi and she was just telling me how her family lives in a trailer. She's really upset and worried... I mean that Hurricane isnt gonna be weakened much by the time it hits her home...

Blast... this is just...

Ugh

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:47 pm 
To quote the Tragically Hip, ♫ New Orleans is sinking man and I don't want to swim. ♫

Seriously though, I hope for the best to all those who live in the path of this storm regardless of whether they have evacuated or not. To those who haven't evacuated, either due to a lack of means, or insanity, I honestly hope that this does not turn out to be their last night.

Of course, we may all feel the wrath of Katrina come Monday since about one-sixth of the U.S. oil supply passes through the New Orleans area.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:04 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: styx326
AOL: drummeronthemoon
I'm down in Florida, and was in fact not far from the eye back when it was a Cat 1. It wasn't fun then, now the winds are 100+ MPH faster then when it was here. Honestly, I, and many other Floridians, feel kinda guilty about this whole thing. Don't know why, us being here weakened it, but we got off light compared to what they're all about to face.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:15 pm 
AOL: Surgoshan
28 foot storm surge in a city that's partly below sea level and only has 13 foot dikes...

I've lived through a number of hurricanes, but nothing like that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:34 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Latest satellite image of Katrina. Notice the size and well-formed nature of the eye. This is a biggy.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:14 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
A lot of my family live down in Lousiana. In Baton Rouge, to be precise, where they're just in the middle of the 50 knot yellow fun, but still, I'm praying for them. This one's damn close to the level of Camille.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:07 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Actually, Katrina is the fourth strongest hurricane on record. Such of New Orleans as is below sea level will probably be flooded...although they started evacuating the city some time ago, and setting up emergency shelters on the high spots; so loss of life will probably be largely avoided.

What I'm a bit more interested in is the levees. If the wrong one goes, the Mississippi could find itself a new channel; and then there will be no point in rebuilding New Orleans or Baton Rouge, because both will be inland curiousities sans economy (or drinking water in the case of New Orleans) instead of thriving ports.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:17 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: styx326
AOL: drummeronthemoon
I'm sorry, but the massive group going into the Superdome can't be sane. That looks like ritual suicide to me... 100,000 people inside, no way out, probably mass flooding, and winds that they say it'll withstand but it's never been really tested, or near those conditions.

Things are not going to end well.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:20 pm 
drdave wrote:
Latest satellite image of Katrina. Notice the size and well-formed nature of the eye. This is a biggy.

And seeing as night has fallen, here's the latest infrared satellite image of Katrina: Eep!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:26 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
AOL: Ahava+Ramier
I work for National 411 for Cingular cellphones. Let me tell you, There are NO hotels with vacancies anywhere in Texas, Alabama or northern Louisiana. I know, I've looked them all up.

I wish I could be hopeful for New Orleans... but I'm not....

May God Bless and keep them safe.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:33 pm 
AOL: TonySopranoRival
Location: Above a convinience store (backwaterplanet.com anyone?)
Here's to hoping they do the smart thing and evacuate, and there isn't too devastating an amount of property damage.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:35 pm 
Website: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=122705047
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: marauderpilot
drummer_dude wrote:
I'm sorry, but the massive group going into the Superdome can't be sane. That looks like ritual suicide to me... 100,000 people inside, no way out, probably mass flooding, and winds that they say it'll withstand but it's never been really tested, or near those conditions.

Part of me agrees with you, but the other part is a bit skepical that they'd herd that many people into the Superdome without at least having a good idea that it'll do the trick.
But, I guess, only time will tell.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:09 am 
AOL: JakRhee
I wish.. I wish I was religious... so I could at least PRAY.

As it is.. I hate sitting here.. helpless. Not able to do anything for these people until the aftermath.

Stupid... stupid...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:55 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
drummer_dude wrote:

100,000 people without a car or any way to leave? That's a rock and a hard place kind of decision on their part. It's pitiful no attempt was made to try and get these people out. Acorrding to CNN no one even knows if it will stand up to the storm anyway.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat