Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:05 am 
AOL: Astaereth
Ruan wrote:
Straight from Wikipedia, hehe.

He was greatly disliked, but the buffer zone between Central Europe and the Ottoman Empire made Vlad a crucial player in the defense of Christendom

Which technically makes him almost a good guy.

From the perspective of a Christian, perhaps. I tend to like him because of what you quoted below:

Ruan wrote:
Of course, there's also:

Upon reaching Targoviste, the Turks encountered the following gruesome sight: :"[Sultan Mehmed] marched on for about five kilometers when he saw men impaled; the Sultan's army came across a field of stakes, about three kilometers long and one kilometer wide. And there were large stakes upon which he could see the impaled bodies of men, women, and children, about twenty-thousand of them... And the other Turks, seeing so many people impaled, were scared out of their wits."

I also like him because he wasn't just feared, he was respected. And he was tough on crime. He would put something valuable in the middle of the courtyard and leave it there for years and nobody would ever take it (because the penalty for stealing was, of course, impaling).

Still, he had kind of a one-track mind. I wonder if he ever got up in the morning and wished he could break out of his rut and boil some people in oil or something. See, that's the kind of thing I would ask him!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:32 am 
You know, if I could choose anyone, I'd probably like to spend a day with my grandfather. And before you all accuse me of the ultimate in corniness, here's why.

He died when I was old enough to realise what a fascinating person he was, but when I was too young to appreciate it. I'd just like to sit down with him and find out more about him, now that I'm an adult. None of that 'do you like what I've done with my life' stuff, but to find out all the things about him that I can't ask my family.

Post subject: hrm...
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:55 pm 
Well, I know I would be compelled to spend this on a word with God. However, barring that...

I would like to meet Adam, and smack him one for what he did. Eve too, but Adam's the guy...wow, I don't want to get into that right now. Maybe I could get my sister to smack Eve.

The Emperor would be cool, and so would any "standard" Space Marine.

Dave Barry. Just 'cause he's awesome.

Nikolae Tesla. Oh, the ideas I could get... Oh, the things I could build...

Benjamin Franklin. I would have a blast showing him around and explaining all the advances we have made. It would be worth spending such a wish just to see his face light up at some of the stuff he would get to play with.

George Washington. It would be awesome to explain how well what he did worked. I think it would make him incredibly happy, relieved, and proud to see what America has become. And I could watch him freak out over stuff like computers and washing machines.

Basically, I couldn't decide.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:31 pm 
AOL: Cullambiel
Ben Franklin... totally! That would be great!

Post subject: Re: hrm...
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:02 pm 
Website: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=122705047
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: marauderpilot
neosonichdghg wrote:
and so would any "standard" Space Marine.

Dave Barry. Just 'cause he's awesome.

I dunno, I think that meeting an SM would just be a lot of him spouting Imperial propaganda, then blowing you to pieces or something.

But Dave Barry kicks butt.

EDIT: Hey, are you the same neosonichdghg that's on Librarium Online? I'm Broadside_Pilot over there.

Last edited by Marauder_Pilot on Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:59 pm 
AOL: TonySopranoRival
Location: Above a convinience store (backwaterplanet.com anyone?)
Eh, Adam and Eve got a bad rap. Life would be boring to me if humankind hadn't gained knowledge.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:49 pm 
AOL: Surgoshan
To quote Good Omens. "If you sit down and think about it sensibly, you come up with some funny ideas. Like: why make people inquisitive, and then put some forbidden fruit where they can see it with a big neon finger flashing on and off saying 'THIS IS IT!'?"
"I don't remember any neon."
"Metaphorically, I mean."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:46 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: mommytigress
AOL: FelineFan25
BobTheSpirit wrote:
Eh, Adam and Eve got a bad rap. Life would be boring to me if humankind hadn't gained knowledge.

I don't think they gained knowledge, the thing I think they gained was the yin and yang version. Knowledge in and of itself was already there... what they gained was the understanding of what you could do with said knowledge, both good and bad. *shrug* That could make anyone feel like they'd been sideslammed by a semi truck.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat