Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:45 pm 
So there I am this morning, trying to make a quick call on my cell. For some reason the network is being flakey this morning. When I finally get through, the person on the other end apparently can't hear me. I try to speak louder and louder so she can hear me and without realizing it end up screaming hello into the reciever. Then a knock comes to my door.
"Everything OK?", the person asks.
I step out of my office and EVERYONE is staring at me. Apparently I was yealling REALLY loud. So I spend the rest of the morning appologizing for scaring everyone in the office.
Just not a good way to start the day...
So can anybody tell me why - in the middle of a modern city in a country with a fully modern post-industrial economy and a modern data/telecommunications infastructure - why can't I get a decent signal on my cell phone!
Thus endith my rant.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:48 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Because you're in the middle of a modern city with a fully modern post-industrial economy and a modern data/telecommunications infrastructure that isn't regulated. Five different companies are trying to throw signals through the air, and they get all mixed up.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:57 pm 
FreakyBoy wrote:
Because you're in the middle of a modern city with a fully modern post-industrial economy and a modern data/telecommunications infrastructure that isn't regulated. Five different companies are trying to throw signals through the air, and they get all mixed up.

Three companies actually, having just lost one to a merger.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:26 pm 
No, it's because American cell phone companies use the wimpy kind of microwaves that don't go through walls. I have never had a reception problem anywhere in Hong Kong except for in elevators and we have lots of competing phone companies. Even the subway gets reception. Honestly, Ghana has better cell phone reception than the US.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:38 pm 
Kea wrote:
No, it's because American cell phone companies use the wimpy kind of microwaves that don't go through walls. I have never had a reception problem anywhere in Hong Kong except for in elevators and we have lots of competing phone companies. Even the subway gets reception. Honestly, Ghana has better cell phone reception than the US.

Did I mention I'm not in the U.S.
My company is actaully Cable and Wireless, a Brittish telecom company. To be fair, they may be using U.S. standards here.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:59 pm 
Oh, excuse me. Whoops.

I thought you were in the US because the conversation between you and Freakyboy seemed to imply it, though on careful reading it doesn't really. I dunno then. I remember reading a long time ago about different strengths of microwaves, and from experience, I don't think multiple companies is in and of itself a problem. Probably depends on how they set it up.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:04 am 
Kea wrote:
No, it's because American cell phone companies use the wimpy kind of microwaves that don't go through walls. I have never had a reception problem anywhere in Hong Kong except for in elevators and we have lots of competing phone companies...

Do Ghana's residents also glow in the dark from all the bully microwaves they're getting? :-)
Actually, there are many different standards for cell phones. I've got two (the work insists I use theirs, and my own "private" one), and one of them has consistently poor reception and drops calls as if they were hot coals.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat