Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: Boston trip help.
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:44 pm 
AOL: sugarraygross
I am probably going to boston for two days in a week. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of what to do. I know there is a ton of history stuff, so if it would be possible to skip that, pending there is something special and relativly unknown. One other glitch is that on saturday anything I do has to be within walking distance of the hotel. (I am there on sat and sun.) Anything would be appriciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:15 pm 
Your going to Boston and NOT going Fenway?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:31 pm 
I didn't say I would or would not. I did look up tickets but they don't do advanced sales. Either that or they are sold out. How could they be sold out? They are playing the Tigers. Pffft. Tigers. (I love the Tigers. I loved them more last year when they almost beat the Mets record. Btw I am a Mets fan, being from NYC and all.)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:14 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
Check out the Constitution, moored in the harbour. When I was 8 (that is, 28 years ago) they had boxes of tea you could chuck into the harbour! Signal your patriotic contempt for tea drinking by teaching those frightful Brits a lesson, again!

Thats all I remember. Probably not much help.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:37 pm 
Ummmm, a little?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:00 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
AOL: Ahava+Ramier
Have to walk the Freedom Trail And if you have some freedom of movement, head out to Worcester, MA and go to the Armoury Museum.... It rocks!!!

But other than that, you have GOT to just spend some time downtown.

I highly recommend dropping by the Theatre district and there are little booths all around where you can buy discounted tickets to see a show. Last time I was there my mom and I went to go see Blue Man Group for like 15 bucks a ticket....

But whatever you do, don't get too confused on the T, and have fun!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:11 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Boston has a first rate aquarium, and the Science Museum is also very well done. Both are a fairly easy walk from the capital district (Quincy Market) area.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:22 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Blue Man Group rocks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:02 pm 
AOL: JakRhee
Well you could do all that educational stuff... Science Museum.. check out the stomping grounds of a whole bunch of famous poets like Lowell and Longfellow...

But really the only thing you MUST do is Fenway.

I mean.. its.. Fenway...

Going to Fenway would be like pilgramiging to Mecca for me.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:01 pm 
Lived there for five years, never went to Fenway once. *runs away* But I know absolutely nothing about baseball. Not even how it's scored.

Er... the MIT museum was cool. It's small, but it's only like, 3 dollars admission, and they have this wacky art by Arthur Ganson. If Miyazaki did an anime about a 19th century mad inventor, he would build stuff like Arthur Ganson does. For example, he's got this wheelbarrow you push that has all these nutty gears on it, attached to a prosthetic hand, which cause it to move in such a way that it writes "faster" on a notepad. And a machine whose only purpose is to oil itself. [/artgeek]

The Harvard Square area is cool to just walk around and hang out. It's just a little district with cafes and shops and old architecture. And freaks. You get street performers and punks and other assorted oddballs there. I once brought my Canadian friend there to take a look at Harvard University, Genius Central. He took one look through the iron gates and said "That's Harvard? I always thought it would be this amazing golden palace but it's like, a dump!"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:10 pm 
Ruan wrote:
Blue Man Group rocks.

You can see BMG in just about every major city in North America now.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:16 pm 
Kea wrote:
Lived there for five years, never went to Fenway once. *runs away* But I know absolutely nothing about baseball. Not even how it's scored.

Baseball scorring is easy. Every time a runner makes it around all four bases, he scores for his team. The team with the most runs wins. Its all those other statistics that get confusing. Then of course, there is the infield fly rule *shudder*. Many a scholar has driven himself mad trying to decifer the infield-fly rule. I beieve the elder-gods palced the infield-fly rule on earth to curse mankind. For the love of all that is holy, do NOT try to understand the infield-fly rule. You have been warned!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:00 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
The in-field fly rule is not THAT bad. Im inclined to believe that off-sides in Soccer is worse then the infield fly rule cause not even Stephen Hawking understands that rule.*

*It was a story my brother told me. One of his friends was on a walk and passing by a house and heard Stephen Hawking's electronic voice saying something along the lines of "I never understood the point of the off-sides rule". So nyah!
:torg:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:40 pm 
Go to Chinatown. Find the Vietnamese restaurant called "Hu Tieu Nam Vang." Order the Bo Bun (pronounced "baw boong"). Pour the orange sweet and sour sauce all over it. Eat it. Love it.

For all you Pho Pasteur fans, forget them and eat at this place. It's more authentic.

Where's your hotel? If it's Downtown Boston, I recommend walking from Park Street (dir. East) to Downtown Crossing, check out CD Spins, the used CD/DVD store, and all the cool little shops (and Filene's Basement if you must). Then walk South to Chinatown and check out the stores there (you can get a nice wooden Katana for $11-$15, and Hong Kong import DVDs). There's also a really nice Loews movie theater there. Then walk West through the Theater District, where I saw Eddie Izzard perform live and you can watch the aforementioned Blue Man Group, then keep on walking West towards Newbury Street. Tons of stuff here, including Newbury Comics, the Prudential Mall, the Boston Public Library, lotsa restaurants and some really nice looking architecture. That should take up a good day's walk.

If you're in the mood for insanely good Italian food, from Park Street, walk North/North-East to the North End, where they have comedy clubs, bars, and the best Pasta Fagioli I've ever had. And Mike's Pastries, which is supposedly really famous, but I never found anything special about it. Any pastry store is good.

The Fenway area is fun, but a little far from Downtown. It's next to Lansdowne street, where all the clubs are. I'd recommend Jillians, because they have pool, air hockey, and skeeball. There's a burger restaurant there called the Longhorn that used to have one of the city's biggest burgers on the menu. It has since disappeared, but you can still order it - I think it was called "The Texan" or something. There's also the Fleet Center at North Station, there may be a basketball game there.

Man, I miss Boston now.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:02 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
AOL: Ahava+Ramier
Wow... walking through Chinatown was fantaztic!

If you weren't a native New Yorker, I'd say go to FAO Schwartz, but... that's not going to be exciting for you.

And yes, if you MUST go to Fenway, but I stick with Were, the Aquarium is fantsamic as is the science museum...

The Duck Tours! You have to go on the Duck Tours.. *L* They are awesome and you get to see most of Boston/Cambridge (home of Harvard U) for a minimal fee

Plus, you'll get to see the completed Big Dig... It was still a hole when I was there last time...

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat