Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:40 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Ruan wrote:
Note, I would say the Mitt Romney vs. Barack Obama would be nowhere near as good had Lincoln not shown up at the end and completely stolen the show.

That is precisely why I gave it the top spot =)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:10 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
drachefly wrote:
Top Ten Completed (not simply suspended) Webcomics (only one entry per author):
1: Unicorn Jelly
2: Hitmen for Destiny
3: Casey and Andy
4: 1/0
5: Triangle and Robert (it was eventually finished)
6: 8-bit theatre
7: Minus (arguably suspended)
8: Terror Island
9: Bob and George
10: ... I'm drawing a blank here

Might I suggest Alice and Kev? Okay, it's less of a comic than a Sims based documentary but still ...

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Oh, wait! Concerned! Concerned definitely gets tenth spot.

Quote:
It's more sheer obstinancy that's kept me from playing Chrono Trigger - every time I remark I haven't played it and someone goes 'Dude, you haven't played it! You really should!" I balk and end up not playing it for another year.

Hence the soft sell. Look.

Once a friend of mine was super-depressed. I handed her Rachmaninov's 2nd symphony. She took it, but didn't play it. She continued to be depressed. A month goes by. Still depressed.

Then one day she's all right, and she hands me my CD back, and thanks me profusely. She'd played it only the last evening, and woke up feeling better.

You are not in this situation. And even there, she probably only gave it a try because she was feeling somewhat better, even if it did help. But dude. What do you have invested in everyone being wrong about this? Did you ever sit down and decide that this game had to be terrible, or did it just never occur that you actually sat down and played it?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Favorite classical movements/arrangements/etc. (from symphonies, ballets and operas)

10. Vivaldi -- Four Seasons -- Winter
9. Stravinsky -- Rite of Spring -- Opening
8. Tchaikovsky -- Nutcracker Ballet -- Pas de Deux (my favorite part starts at 1:41)
7. Tchaikovsky -- Swan Lake -- Russian Dance
6. Greig -- Trolltog
5. Glinka -- Ruslan and Lyudmila -- Ludmila's aria "Ah ty, dolya-dolushka"
4. Mozart - Requiem
3. .Nikolaj Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade, 1st movement.
2. Mozart -- The Magic Flute -- Queen of Night's Aria
1. Tchaikovsky -- Swan Lake's Finale

I have a thing for epic crescendos.

EDIT: I changed out the Russian Dance because I found something that I think was choreographed more like Russian dances. Also, the sound quality is better.

Last edited by weatherwax on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:17 pm 
Top 10 stupid things I've gotten injured with:

1) Old bicycle hitting rock on very, very steep dirt pathway. 1 overnight stay in the hospital and a 2nd degree concussion. Oh, and 5 stitches in my head.
2) Sharp part of extendible metal magnet halfway through the center of my palm. 3 stitches. A palm reader told me to watch out for a life changing event around 50 or so...
3) Fan blades of a running stock car engine against my left forearm. 3 stitches.
4) Full can of some sort of wine cooler square into the back of my head at a concert. 4 stitches and a cool half-circle scar.
5) Sharp broken piece of glass measuring cup. 4 stitches... just up from my wrist very, very near a major vein.
6) Freezing rain on sidewalk outside my place of work. 2nd degree concussion.
7) My wife's knee (never tickle a really, really ticklish person without watching for her knees). Dizzy and stupid for the rest of the day (likely a mild concussion).
8) Carbon Monoxide from vehicle exhaust - was at work, hadn't noticed the hose to route exhaust out the door had fallen off. So sick I couldn't keep working or even drive for half a day.
9) Children's slide - tried to stop halfway down the slide - right hand got traction, left didn't. Cracked collarbone.
10) Door jambs - I've lost soooooo many fingernails to house and vehicle doors. Mostly vehicle doors at work.

But, never a broken bone or a cast. Ever. Lots of stitches, mind you, but never a broken bone.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:42 pm 
baconbotsforever wrote:
But, never a broken bone or a cast. Ever. Lots of stitches, mind you, but never a broken bone.

You got lucky, when I was five, I broke my arm doing the absolutely most cliched thing ever: jumping on the bed and falling off...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
A classmate of mine tried to jump over a fence at school and broke his arm. The crack was audible thirty yards away. Almost every scar I have on my body is from a bicycle accident. Let's get out a list of these accidents, shall we?

Kajin's Top Ten Bicycle Accidents:

10) Big Wheel. Age six. Drove Big Wheel down steep hill, hit a pothole and veered off course. Smashed into neighbor's flower garden and bashed head against brick wall. Front wheel broke clean off. Minor scrapes evident but little else. No medical attention necessary.
9) Big Wheel. Age three. Newly installed front porch. Unfinished, no side rails. Drove Big Wheel off side of porch. Smashed tiny skull on large sandstone rock. Minor scrape evident. Taken to doctor. Minor scrape is only injury. Received perscription for a Booboo Bunny Bandaid and a kiss from mommy.
8) Tricycle. Age six. Drove into ditch. Minor scrapes.
7) Age thirteen. Teaching nine year old sister to ride back. Sister drives bike straight into crotch. Minor bruising and one severely ticked off older brother.
6) Age fifteen. Tried to impress neighbor girl by doing something I saw on TV. Didn't work out too well. Crashed shoulder first on gravel. Cool claw-shaped scars on left shoulder. Proceeds to claim lion attack to impress different girl.
5) Age fourteen. Riding bikes with best friend along road up and down hillsides. Neighbor pulls out of driveway. Friend swerves off road into a ditch and several blackberry bushes. I hit the brakes, grinding the rubber clean off before smashing into side of vehicle. Broken bike. Neighbor buys me new bike for birthday out of sympathy.
4) Age fourteen. Before receiving new bike. Attempt at replicating biking experience using stolen shopping cart. Experiment wildly successful. All neighborhood kids riding shopping carts. Save-a-lots reports mysterious lack of shopping carts. Parents force us to return carts.
3) Age fifteen. School kid asks if I have dirt bike. I respond yes, thinking he's talking about a regular old mountain bike. Schoolkid shows up with motorized cycle. Kajin is sad...
2) Age thirteen. Trying to learn how to ride without using hands. Eventual success attained at expenses of many mishaps, scrapes and bruises.
1) Age twelve. Dad leaving on service call. Don't want Dad to leave. Hop on bike to race ahead of him. Hits giant pothole and goes airborne. Lands on elbow, scraping off a quarter sized chunk of flesh half an inch deep. No stitches. Large scar clearly visible on elbow to this day.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:52 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Galaxy Hunter wrote:
Two for one! Double your pleasure!

Top ten favorite Videogames:

1. Mass Effect
2. Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies
3. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
4. Bioshock
5. Pokemon Crystal Version
6. Jak 3: Wastelander
7. Halo: Reach
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Pokemon Platinum
10. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Out of all the Halo games, you put Reach as the best?! I.. I don't.. but. WHY?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:02 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
I thought much the same thing when I saw Mass Effect higher than Mass Effect 2 or 3... Though that said, Ace Combat 4 was a great game. Even if I don't buy the series these days, I always make it a point to check out their soundtracks.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:38 pm 
1. Sirius, 8.6 LY
2. Canopus, 74 LY
3. Alpha Centauri, 4.3 LY
4. Arcturus, 34 LY
5. Vega, 25 LY
6. Capella, 41 LY
7. Rigel, 1400 LY
8. Procyon, 11.4 LY
9. Achernar, 69 LY
10. Betelgeuse, 1400 LY

Two of these distances are not like the others. Interestingly, both are in Orion.

Special note: In 1843, the #2 spot was held by Eta Carinae. Eta is 7500 to 8000 light years away. Let me restate that. In 1843, a star eight thousand light years away outshone one four light years away.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:17 am 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
waffle wrote:
1. Sirius, 8.6 LY
2. Canopus, 74 LY
3. Alpha Centauri, 4.3 LY
4. Arcturus, 34 LY
5. Vega, 25 LY
6. Capella, 41 LY
7. Rigel, 1400 LY
8. Procyon, 11.4 LY
9. Achernar, 69 LY
10. Betelgeuse, 1400 LY

Two of these distances are not like the others. Interestingly, both are in Orion.

Special note: In 1843, the #2 spot was held by Eta Carinae. Eta is 7500 to 8000 light years away. Let me restate that. In 1843, a star eight thousand light years away outshone one four light years away.

Say the name of the tenth one 3 times. I want to see what happens.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:12 pm 
Jorodryn wrote:
waffle wrote:
10. Betelgeuse, 1400 LY

Say the name of the tenth one 3 times. I want to see what happens.

Carl Sagan appeared.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:50 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Funny. I did it and Hulk Hogan showed up. It was fun at first but now he's starting to get on my nerves.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:49 am 
Dodger77 wrote:
(It just seems wrong to rank Star Trek (2009) as the best Star Trek film. I would probably give the top spot to Wrath of Khan or First Contact. Hard to decide between the two. Also, I'm a huge fan of both IV and VI)

(Warning: NSFW language, gesturing, and dancing)
Top 10 Epic Rap Battles of History:

1. Barack Obama vs. Mitt Romney (ft. Abraham Lincoln)
2. Albert Einstein vs. Stephen Hawking
3. Steve Jobs vs. Bill Gates (ft. HAL)
4. Cleopatra vs. Marilyn Monroe
5. Sarah Palin vs. Lady Gaga
6. Gandalf vs. Albus Dumbledore
7. Michael Jackson vs. Elvis Presley
8. Bruce Lee vs. Clint Eastwood
9. Abraham Lincoln vs. Chuck Norris
10. Darth Vader vs. Hitler #1

That's a pretty decent list --but no Beethoven versus Bieber?

Also if you haven't seen the most recent one --it's pretty indescribable.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat